Apple releases iTunes 7.1, QuickTime 7.1.5, more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Somebody wake me when you can access album covers for Cover Flow through the iTunes Store without giving Apple a credit card number, or when the Apple TV gets some decent hardware/software specs.

Yeah, I know, I should just get off my lazy butt and manually do the covers myself, but I mean come on ... you can browse the covers in the iTunes Store, but it won't put them into iTunes for you without giving them a credit card number???

Hurray for the DVD Studio Pro update!
  • Reply 42 of 68
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Somebody wake me when you can access album covers for Cover Flow through the iTunes Store without giving Apple a credit card number, or when the Apple TV gets some decent hardware/software specs.

Yeah, I know, I should just get off my lazy butt and manually do the covers myself, but I mean come on ... you can browse the covers in the iTunes Store, but it won't put them into iTunes for you without giving them a credit card number???

Hurray for the DVD Studio Pro update!

I never gave iTunes a Credit Card number. I just used a Gift Card to sign up

But if you have an Apple ID that might work as well.

Sebastian
  • Reply 43 of 68
    galexgalex Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Great. But then will it put bands with two names (like Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Pilot Speed, etc) as "Crue, Motley"? What of three-name artists? There are reasons why no one generally does this. It doesn't work for musicians (an address book, perhaps, but not music, too many bands).

As I understand it, iTunes now has the ability to (if you wish) sort John Lennon among the "L"s while still have him listed in the Artist column as "John Lennon". At the same time, bands like Motley Crue would of course still be both sorted among the "M"s and listed as "Motley Crue". The rule you choose will only apply to the artists specified by you, not the entire library.

/Galex
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Ah, but wouldn't it be nice, since they lure you into the whole "Boot Camp" thing in the first place, and Leopard won't be out for 3 months at least, that they could release those updates, so, you know, people can help work out the bugs with the software. Or so we can see whether it'll be worth it to run Vista under boot camp without having to spend $150 on Leopard? Oh, forget that last one, Apple doesn't want you to not buy it.

Don't forget that bootcamp will be available, separately, for $30
  • Reply 45 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

Don't forget that bootcamp will be available, separately, for $30

Where did you get that? I was under the impression it will be included with Leopard.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galex View Post

As I understand it, iTunes now has the ability to (if you wish) sort John Lennon among the "L"s while still have him listed in the Artist column as "John Lennon". At the same time, bands like Motley Crue would of course still be both sorted among the "M"s and listed as "Motley Crue". The rule you choose will only apply to the artists specified by you, not the entire library.

/Galex

Great, so instead of going through one's library to manually change the names of artists and the like, one has to go through one's library to say "Hey, sort by this name instead".

Which will be great, except (a) it probably won't hold on the ipod like that, and (b) then you've got the confusion of seeing artists listed first, last, but sorted differently, which makes it that much harder to find a specific artist.

I think I'll stick to my renaming 'last, first' manually. Then everything makes sense.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    huh, I know it is included with leopard but I thought it was also going to be available separately. But maybe I'm starting to have trouble separating fact from rumor.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

My update works fine.. However, when I go into full screen coverflow, a think black diagonal line runs the length of all of the album artwork... The line disappears in normal sized coverflow... ANyone else notice this?

Not me. My update went flawlessly. I am using an iBook G4 if that is any help.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Apprently, with iTunes 7.1 TV shows are now sorted by the Episode ID. This is why my episodes got all mixed up in a season. Kinda weird to all of a sudden change that, but oh well. I also have a problem where in the movies tab iTunes will cut off the the information for the last movie in each row if I choose to view all of my titles at once ... not a killer, but still strange that it would be overlooked...
  • Reply 50 of 68
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

... or when the Apple TV gets some decent hardware/software specs.

Such as?

What would you like it to do?

As I have stated elsewhere, I WILL NOT buy an ?tv until they support PS3 and Xbox 360 games, includes a DVR, a Blu-Ray drive (although HD-DVD COULD entice me also...) and a 3.5" 500 GB HDD. Oh yeah, it also has to double as a waffle iron and cost less than a hundred bucks.

DO YOU HEAR ME OH GREAT AND POWERFUL APPLE!!!!! YOU'RE ABOUT TO LOSE A CUSTOMER!!!!
  • Reply 51 of 68
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Coverflow is cool and all that, but I don't use iTunes much at all other than to sync my tunes and especially my daily commute podcasts. as far as using iTunes for a 'music player' it just isn't happening even at all. It IS however, how I decide what goes on the iPod, and soon, what goes on the Apple TV. Perhaps then I will use the coverflow type of feature.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    i just noticed it tonight... after downloading the new Quicktime 7.1 i decided to view some HD QT movie trailers and found that all the vocal tracks were gone! i downloaded 4 and all were the same. only the background music played. has anyone else noticed this?

i'm not sure how to fix this. maybe i should download it again an do another install.

g-
  • Reply 53 of 68
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

Such as?

How about support Dolby Digital and DTS pass-through for real surround-sound?

How about support for 5.1 channel AAC so it can support the surround sound found in Apple's own high-definition movie trailers?

How about support MPEG-2 and CSS so it can play-back native DVD content without it having to be converted first?

How about supporting True HD (1080p) instead of stopping at 720p?

How about supporting H.264 High Profile, VC-1 and AACS so it can play-back native HD-DVD and Blu-ray content without it having to be converted first?
  • Reply 54 of 68
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

Such as?

Personally... more codecs. That's it. DivX would be a good start.

Yes, I know it'll never happen. But that's what it would take to get me to buy an AppleTV. That and making iTunes support all video formats that Quicktime supports, which is a no brainer.

Amorya
  • Reply 55 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

That and making iTunes support all video formats that Quicktime supports, which is a no brainer.

iTunes can already store (kinda) and play all the files that the QT codecs allow for.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

That and making iTunes support all video formats that Quicktime supports

Depending on what exactly you mean by this, iTunes does already do it. In terms of codecs, iTunes will play back anything you've got a QuickTime codec for, as long as, it would seem, the tracks are in an .mpg or .mov wrapper. AVIs it won't accept, even if they open and play O.K. in QuickTime. Using QT pro or DivX Doctor II, you can easily change the wrapper format from .avi to .mov.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iTunes can already store (kinda) and play all the files that the QT codecs allow for.

It won't take AVIs or WMV, thus requiring conversion. Quicktime player can open them fine.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghiangelo View Post

i just noticed it tonight... after downloading the new Quicktime 7.1 i decided to view some HD QT movie trailers and found that all the vocal tracks were gone! i downloaded 4 and all were the same. only the background music played. has anyone else noticed this?

i'm not sure how to fix this. maybe i should download it again an do another install.

g-

I recently noted the aspect ratio of some HD content is not right. I've had quicktime 1080P trailers playback in 4:3 in quicktime while they really were widescreen...
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Quote:

It won't take AVIs or WMV, thus requiring conversion. Quicktime player can open them fine.

If QT can play them, then you can get them to play in iTunes. Open QT Pro, Save As a referenced movie., then drag that reference into iTunes, hence my "kinda" remark about iTunes storing such files.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If QT can play them, then you can get them to play in iTunes. Open QT Pro, Save As a referenced movie., then drag that reference into iTunes, hence my "kinda" remark about iTunes storing such files.

Point taken that it's doable. I shouldn't have to do that though... it's not as if it's technically hard to get iTunes to accept the other files