Apple releases iTunes 7.1, QuickTime 7.1.5, more

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

I recently noted the aspect ratio of some HD content is not right. I've had quicktime 1080P trailers playback in 4:3 in quicktime while they really were widescreen...

Check the presentation settings. (Show Movie Properties > Presentation tab > uncheck "conform aperture to".

For some movie files (seems to always be NTSC D1 comps rendered out of After Effects), QuickTime will resize the movie from 720x480 to 640x480 because it's assuming the movie has non-square (0.9) pixels for broadcast.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SS3 GokouX View Post

Check the presentation settings. (Show Movie Properties > Presentation tab > uncheck "conform aperture to".

For some movie files (seems to always be NTSC D1 comps rendered out of After Effects), QuickTime will resize the movie from 720x480 to 640x480 because it's assuming the movie has non-square (0.9) pixels for broadcast.

Thanks for the help, but I can't seem to find the Movie Properties or presentation tab? You're talking about quicktime right? Anyway, it might be the file after all, I downloaded it as being 1080p but VLC and quicktime both say it's 1440 by 1080. I thought 1080p always means 1920 by 1080??
  • Reply 63 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Thanks for the help, but I can't seem to find the Movie Properties or presentation tab? You're talking about quicktime right? Anyway, it might be the file after all, I downloaded it as being 1080p but VLC and quicktime both say it's 1440 by 1080. I thought 1080p always means 1920 by 1080??

1080p technically only refers to the vertical lines so it's quite possible, though uncommon, for the horizontal resolution to be different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p
  • Reply 64 of 68
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1080p technically only refers to the vertical lines so it's quite possible, though uncommon, for the horizontal lines to be different.

That's not quite right. 1080 lines of vertical resolution = 1080 horizontal lines.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    Quote:

Yeah, that's in QuickTime (It shouldn't matter if it's Pro or not... I don't think). You can get it with command-J. You can also check the Movie Info window (command-I) for the Normal and Current sizes, if the aperture is affecting it, the current and normal sizes will not match up.

Quote:

1080p technically only refers to the vertical lines so it's quite possible, though uncommon, for the horizontal lines to be different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

That's not quite right. 1080 lines of vertical resolution = 1080 horizontal lines.

Correct. For example, most movies are filmed either at 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 aspect ratios, which would give the different number of vertical lines. I've never heard of an HD 1.33:1 video, but maybe someone would prove me wrong.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You knew what I meant. I corrected my post.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I corrected my post.

Only by half
  • Reply 68 of 68
    hedwighedwig Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I don't think it's a problem per se, but are you sure yours doesn't have this also? It is not super noticeable, just a very thin black diagonal line that divides the artwork in full screen coverflow mode..

hey...i have a power mac g4 running osx 10.4.9 ...i just purchased a new gateway 22 monitor and i get those black diagonal lines in cover flow when in full screen...my apple 17 studio display does not have these lines...not sure what it could be...i was just about to return the monitor when i came across this post...anybody with any ideas...