Personal Vista Review

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 126
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Let me see if I get this right:

- You had to learn about this feature from an outside source and it has sped up your work "exponentially".

- However, when Vista makes it available at the top of the screen at all times so that anyone can use it without having to learn anything... that's not better?
  • Reply 122 of 126
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    What's the point of this thread. Groverat loves WIndows Vista, the rest of us love Mac OS X. It's all turning into nitpicking. Let the thread die.
  • Reply 123 of 126
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    One more time Gee-rat. Path Finder is more functional than Vista Explorer. Not as pretty, but more functional. And, for the future, Marvin's idea of an iTunes-like Finder (rewritten in Cocoa of course) is the best.
  • Reply 124 of 126
    eboyeboy Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Let me see if I get this right:

- You had to learn about this feature from an outside source and it has sped up your work "exponentially".

- However, when Vista makes it available at the top of the screen at all times so that anyone can use it without having to learn anything... that's not better?

You're so disappointing.

The whole point of Windows' explorer is to help user to navigate through the system easily. Windows Explorer exist almost 10 years? While it helps but that do not solve the problem of tracing the path immediately, so Vista finally have a nav bar to fill that gap. Having that is better, of course, for Windows user. But how can it be better than the Mac OS solution?

example: your file buried 10 level deep into the system, your nav bar on the top of the screen is the length of the window that opened, you have 10 buttons(path points) that none of the path point can show the full name because of screen real estate... so you put your cursor to the button, wait for that popup to show you the full name, and try another one because that's not the one you're looking for... hmm... tell me how that help you better than the Mac solution as of today?

As I said, I tried Vista for a couple of weeks now, I welcome the improvement, and it's a better version of WIndows, but sorry for my honesty, it's no way better than the Mac. Especially the aspect you cite, it's still not there yet.
  • Reply 125 of 126
    This guy from the BBC isn't too happy about his Vista experience:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/
  • Reply 126 of 126
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    He has three complaints:

- No more support for his iPaq PocketPC

I don't know the reason for this. Perhaps he's got a legitimate gripe.

- No drivers for his Olympus camera

How on earth is this Microsoft's fault?

- Outlook doesn't remember his password

He provides a good explanation of why this is so right in the article.

And for a status update on Vista and me: I still like it a lot when iTunes isn't running.