Adobe unleashes Creative Suite 3 product line

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Even though Adobe is patting themselves on the back about their Mac Intel versions and Premiere returning to Mac, you can easily tell that they are still very Windows-centric. When you view the the CS3 flash demos online, the loading animation is "borrowed" from Windows Vista's new "waiting" icon. Couldn't they come up with something else? Sheesh! Also I noticed that all the CS2 trial versions have been removed but the CS3 versions are not up yet either.

m
  • Reply 22 of 70
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Where's FrameMaker? And RoboHelp?
  • Reply 23 of 70
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I guess it depends on what you mean by webcast. If you tune in to the link I provided today at 3:30 p.m. EDT you will see the presentation live via the web. If that is not what you call a webcast then OK. To me it is.

And yes, a recorded version will be available later. And yes that would be a webcast too in my book.

Webcast = media broadcast over the web, whether it is live or not.

But if you want to wait until tomorrow...

Personally, with all the important info (at least from my point of view) already available on Adobe's website, I don't think that I'll take the time to watch it. I got my upgrade prices already and they are well within the budget so I'm good to go.

Sorry donebylee,

But now I am confused. My clock says it is the 27th and according to your link the webcast is today. Which I intend to watch today. I understood that you were saying that the 27th is not until tomorrow. Is this not convoluted or not.

Anyway, no problem.

In addition, as you pointed out, you have enough information to make a decision. I think i do too. However, not the staff (and I am part of them), it will be watched. Mainly for the nuances and those little subtleties that invaribly crop up when people talk live. I expect that a lot of the what is said will preempt a questions and thus save a lot of time later.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Doublepost
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Even though Adobe is patting themselves on the back about their Mac Intel versions and Premiere returning to Mac, you can easily tell that they are still very Windows-centric. When you view the the CS3 flash demos online, the loading animation is "borrowed" from Windows Vista's new "waiting" icon. Couldn't they come up with something else? Sheesh! Also I noticed that all the CS2 trial versions have been removed but the CS3 versions are not up yet either.

m

That's hardly evidence of being "very" windows centric... a loading animation
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Where's FrameMaker? And RoboHelp?

On the site.

Framemaker http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/

Robohelp http://www.adobe.com/products/robohelp/

Best check the Adobe 'Products' section first.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

On the site.

Framemaker http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/

This being "AppleInsider" and all, he's probably referring to a Mac version. Got a link to that?
  • Reply 28 of 70
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Am I reading the chart correctly?

Is Photoshop only available in the Design Standard package? Do they not think that web Designers need Photoshop? Or production for that matter? And how can they have one called Master Collection that doesn't include the flagship App, PhotoShop?

Looks like there will have to be a lot of purchasing to get what many will need. They should instead have an ala-cart system. 4 choices for standard and 7 for premium. Master includes ALL of them.

It does smack of M$ marketing techniques. I guess they don't want to discourage pirating.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

This being "AppleInsider" and all, he's probably referring to a Mac version. Got a link to that?

Wasn't Framemaker for Mac discontinued a while back? (3 Years ago: Registered users were notified then)

Anyway here are the links

Framemaker Framemaker http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/

Robohelp http://www.adobe.com/products/robohe...fo/systemreqs/

(Still) Best check the Adobe 'Products' section first.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Is Photoshop only available in the Design Standard package? Do they not think that web Designers need Photoshop? Or production for that matter? And how can they have one called Master Collection that doesn't include the flagship App, PhotoShop?

Take a closer look. All but one of the other packages include Photoshop Extended. Design Standard is using the regular edition of Photoshop.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:

Wasn't Framemaker for Mac discontinued a while back? (3 Years ago: Registered users were notified then)

Yeah. That's the point.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Photoshop Extended is included.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Can't wait to upgrade Macromedia Studio and PS7 to CS3 Web Premium! I won't know what to do with myself! $500 for a ton of new Intel-optimized apps, 2 or 3 versions beyond most that I've been using daily. Gimme!

I see that Adobe has taken down their former Freehand->Illustrator file-migration guide--but left a dead link. Hopefully that means new info is coming and the migration will now be easier than it used to be. Fingers crossed. I have a ton of Freehand 10 work, and I don't relish losing all my font kerning (or giving up editability) or having to do a lot of manual conversion.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:

Yeah. That's the point.

Of what?
  • Reply 35 of 70
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Take a closer look. All but one of the other packages include Photoshop Extended. Design Standard is using the regular edition of Photoshop.

Yeah, that sucks. I only need the Big Four (PS Extended, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat)... forget about all that web junk.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Can't wait to upgrade Macromedia Studio and PS7 to CS3 Web Premium! I won't know what to do with myself! $500 for a ton of new Intel-optimized apps, 2 or 3 versions beyond most that I've been using daily. Gimme!

I see that Adobe has taken down their former Freehand->Illustrator file-migration guide--but left a dead link. Hopefully that means new info is coming and the migration will now be easier than it used to be. Fingers crossed. I have a ton of Freehand 10 work, and I don't relish losing all my font kerning (or giving up editability) or having to do a lot of manual conversion.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/il..._fhillmigr.pdf

See also http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/il..._fhilltech.pdf

Great Resource http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/
  • Reply 37 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

That's hardly evidence of being "very" windows centric... a loading animation

Actually I guess I jumped the gun. That animation is also used on the adobe store as a loading icon (in gray), just in that blue color it reminds me a lot of the Vista icon, maybe MS stole it from Adobe. But as an example of the inequality of the Mac vs Windows in Adobe offerings in the Master Collection

"Adobe OnLocation? CS3 (Windows® only), and Ultra® CS3 (Windows only). "

If it is worth mentioning then it is worth money but you don't get a discount on the Mac version.

I'm still annoyed by the entire CS suite concept because I have owned every major title of Adobe and Macromedia for over 15 years but they don't give any upgrade path other than from Photoshop. I already own Ai, PS, Fl, Dw, Af, iD, Acrobat not to mention lots of other obsolete/discontinued titles from both houses but yet no upgrade path. "You sir, for your continued support, must pay full retail for the Master Collection."

m
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:

Of what?

The point being that maybe people should hold off on their "Yay! Adobe!" circle-jerk sessions until their Mac offerings are on par with their Windows offerings.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, that sucks. I only need the Big Four (PS Extended, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat)... forget about all that web junk.

Are you sure you need PS Extended?
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:

The point being that maybe people should hold off on their "Yay! Adobe!" circle-jerk sessions until their Mac offerings are on par with their Windows offerings.

Up to now, I have been biting my tongue when it comes to wannabees slamming developers.

We have Macs and PCs, but only PCs for stress. (Clients think we need them) However try to get the staff to work on the PCs when they know it is much easier, more beautiful and less hassle to compile on the Mac side.

At the same time, however, we don't tolerate, 'until they do this or that, then your screw them attitude.'

As for Adobe, there isn't a professional graphic designer that I know of that doesn't appreciate the comprehensiveness of their programs and more importantly, how they have affected our futures and bottom lines. Adobe, has always been a close friend of the Mac, and in fact has reiterated time and time again, that if it weren't for Steve Jobs and the Mac, they would be non-existant.

For you to suggest that we should abandon our appreciation for Adobe's Mac products because they not on a par as you have somehow pre-determined with their Windows offerings, tells me that you are an absolute selfish ill-informed ignoramis. And trust me, my words are guarded.