backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Succinct. And a correct summation.

1 billion phone market.

250 million PC market.

30 million Mac market.

Guess which wins? iPhone.

Yeah but Apple *hopes* to sell 10 million iPhones in the first year. It's a big market but without more and cheaper versions of the iPhone it'll be a niche product just like the Mac.
  • Reply 322 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richyfp View Post

Here's my summation of why Leopard's taking so long to develop. I know it doesn't really excuse a delay, but this is undoubtedly a massive update to the OS, certainly beyond what I had appreciated until a couple of weeks ago...

Nice in-depth explanation of Leopard's upcoming features. I must say that most of it well beyond my comprehension and I can't but wonder if you are privy to stuff that should be protected by an NDA.
  • Reply 323 of 504
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

Market closes in 5 hrs. ... well 4.5 now

I think the point Jeff was trying to make was if there was going to be a big drop, it would have materialized from the opening bell. It could certainly wind up down more than the 1.4% it's down now, but I would doubt very much it'll be more than 3%.
  • Reply 324 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Yeah but Apple *hopes* to sell 10 million iPhones in the first year. It's a big market but without more and cheaper versions of the iPhone it'll be a niche product just like the Mac.

And what of it? Marketshare doesn't matter when you have a firm hold of the most profitable market segment.
  • Reply 325 of 504
    We're going to have to face the future Apple Inc has a bigger picture set of priorities.

By putting the 'Mac' 2nd? Apple can grow marketshare indirectly. Buzz re: iPods, Apple TV and iPhone will have kickbacks...to the Mac line eventually. More than would by prioritizing leopard.

iPhone is a big bet for Apple and, ironically, the Mac platform. It is using some form of Leopard. So it is a great way of advertising the 'Mac' to non-Apple users. The more they get sucked into using Apple products like Apple TV, iPod, iPhone...sooner or later they will crack and get a Mac. Sooner or later, a tipping point will be reached where Macs will break 2 million plus sales a month.

If the iPod sold 100 million? I think the iPhone and its subsequent family will sell loads more in the long run. And that's a huge market for 'Leopard' to get into. The Halo effect from that? We can only guess.

The iPhone adds a much bigger long term bottom line to Apple's shareholders...and mindshare with consumers. Leopard on a mac shipping June on some bumped Macs wouldn't generate the same sort of Buzz for Apple amongst the general public.

It's ironic. But this is the way it has to be for the Mac to win. It's a long game. And I feel they've made the right choice.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 326 of 504
    Quote:

...and that's just Mk I version of the iPhone...what about the rest of the iPhone line? Which is inevitable if you model it after the iPod progression.

Do you really think that this is 'it'? I remember the fuss about the solitary overpriced iPod when it first launched...and Apple have improved the Mac line and their OS beyond all recognition since it first shipped. I predict that by October we'll have a gorgeous new OS, a brilliant new iMac some stunning new latops on Penryn...and the iPhone will deservedly get the lions share of the publics imagination. It looks like something really special.

This is just the beginning.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 327 of 504
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And what of it?

Well I hope that iPhone doesn't take priority over the Mac ond OSX. That's what. It shouldn't as I point out it's potentially a niche product with much lower margins than Macs. Yes I hope it succeeds and I hope to get one.
  • Reply 328 of 504
  • Reply 329 of 504
    The delay is an annoyance, its seems no one is interested that in 8 weeks a 'near final copy' of Leopard will be demoed at WWDC. We should finally get to see what all the *top secret* features are.

The secret features better be worth all of hype jobs has given them. I'm hoping it's not purely visual crap like aero and.....well I think thats it with vista, isn't it? Unfortunately if something isn't flashy the media wont be interested. It has to *pop* the way the iPhone did. So I believe we'll see something pretty innovative, a significant shift that has taken a crap load of time to implement.

I do believe the iPhone was a major drain on Apple resources, if the iPhone doesn't work perfectly out of the gate the general public is going to know about it. The Macworld announcement was news everywhere, imagine if the first reviews are average, just average. That will hurt them a lot. I think the battery will be an issue, but the fact is the entire thing has to work flawlessly, no crashes, no errors, no slowdowns. They are entering a very competitive space, creating a completely new product from the ground up, it must be 'Apple perfect' to justify the attention its getting.

Apple expect to sell 10million by the end of 08. So they expect to sell and average of 1.6 millions iPhones per quarter. How is this not significant? The iPhone will probably track with same amount of Macs sold each quarter.

The focus now should be on WWDC and the super duper features
  • Reply 330 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Well I hope that iPhone doesn't take priority over the Mac ond OSX. That's what. It shouldn't as I point out it's potentially a niche product with much lower margins than Macs. Yes I hope it succeeds and I hope to get one.

I think you fail to see that the embedded version of Mac OS X that is being used on the iPhone is the cornerstone of Apple's consumer electronics strategy.

So far Apple has released 2 devices with embedded OS X...

- Apple TV

- Airport Extreme

Later this year will get 2 more

- iPhone

- iPod

in 2008 I imagine we will see even more.

It isn't a niche product but rather just the tip of a giant iceberg.
  • Reply 331 of 504
    Bummer! I had been waiting to buy my first mac ever since last December, but the only thing keeping me from buying it was that the next version of OS X was due in three months. If I knew about it at that time, I'd be posting this message from my iMac. Now the OS is delayed, I still dont own a Mac and the "just around the corner" wait starts over again. They are frustrating potential customers badly.

Now in my opinion what they should do is to start selling every machine with an upgrade coupon to Leopard as soon as it is released. That may sound very optimistic but thats what users were ought to be paying by now; the new version of OS X. If thats not possible, they should atleast give along a coupon by which we can purchase the next version after release for , lets say, 50 bucks, because thats the maximum extra amount anyone will pay for upgrading OS in less than six months.

And if that doesnot happen, we can all rest assured that Apple will have to face dire consequences in both market share and share market.
  • Reply 332 of 504
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vale4606 View Post

The secret features better be worth all of hype jobs has given them.

What hype? Jobs mentioned there were additional features they weren't showing yet at last year's WWDC and since then Jobs and Apple have mentioned these secret features exactly........ 0 times to my knowledge.
  • Reply 333 of 504
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Anyone remember Tiger OS X 10.4.0? Almost everyone was belly aching about how buggy it was. "Why didn't they wait a few months and work out the kinks? If i'm gonna pay $120 bucks I want the bugs worked out. I don't want to pay for being a beta tester." Well let's hope the release in October is much smoother than Tiger's.
  • Reply 334 of 504
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    im actually close to tears.... im just going to crawl into a hole until october...
  • Reply 335 of 504
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Succinct. And a correct summation.

1 billion phone market.

250 million PC market.

30 million Mac market.

Guess which wins? iPhone.

$600 super smartphone market: not even close to 1 billion and probably even significantly less than the 30 million you quote for the Mac.
  • Reply 336 of 504
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

$600 super smartphone market: not even close to 1 billion and probably even significantly less than the 30 million you quote for the Mac.

yeh its more like 20million i think, not sure though
  • Reply 337 of 504
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Damon View Post

Here's what the headlines have missed: this is Apple's second major software fsckup.

The first one was Aperture 1.0. Aperture's initial release was certainly not what people have come to expect from Apple. From most accounts, this program simply didn't work from the start as Apple intended. The only way Apple could fix it was to pull over help from the Final Cut programming team, get the bugs out, and then release as a 1.5. Sure, the next version of FC was delayed, but no one except video geeks noticed.

This time, Apple's software fsckup is more serious, and a bunch more people have noticed. Sure, Tiger's fine. I really didn't feel the need to upgrade in say, June. With Apple's system software, it's usually a good thing to wait for a couple point releases before upgrading. So, in that sense, this isn't a big deal. What worries me, are the underlying factors behind the delay more than anything else. Sometimes, asking for the impossible gives you the impossible.

The whole delay affair makes me think all is not right in the halls of Cupertino... the pressure cooker can only take so much heat before the steam tries to find a way out.

Sure. A mid-size application versus two Operating Systems with 3 versions. The embedded OS X and the Client/Server flagship OS.

There is no comparison.

If you want to start working on the Darwin XNU kernel and its BSD layers or try your hand at writing applications then I doubt you'll bitch about a 4 month lag time.
  • Reply 338 of 504
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Don't be silly. It's three months not three years. Good grief, talk about a juvenile overreaction on these boards... oh wait, its AppleInsider!

So you think that if Vista had only been delayed by 3 months, Apple and all the Microsoft bashers would have stayed silent? Guess again. They would have bashed Microsoft anyway even if Vista was just 1 day late.
  • Reply 339 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

So far Apple has released 2 devices with embedded OS X...

{cut}

Later this year will get 2 more

{cut}

- iPod

We don't know this yet. It makes sense but it's not a sure thing that the next iPod will be running OS X.
  • Reply 340 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If you want to start working on the Darwin XNU kernel and its BSD layers or try your hand at writing applications then I doubt you'll bitch about a 4 month lag time.

Bitching is when promised and confirmed dates suddenly pushed back from spring to autumn, this is what I call bitching from top level of Apple. And one more time I want to point out that Apple didn’t say that Leopard will be released in October. “Anticipating launching the software in October” can also mean that it will be released in February 08.