Apple to build new features into iPhone, Apple TV free of charge

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I wonder if this announcement has anything to do with the generally less than stellar press reviews of the AppleTV.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    I'd wonder that, too, if the reviews were really generally less than stellar.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Sarbanes-Oxley is... complex. Very broadly speaking, it was supposed to reinstate confidence in accounting practices in the US by introducing new standards and regulations. It has numerous provisions, all presumably designed to make business and accounting more, well, accountable. This specific issue with Apple is, as pointed out, a consequence of their reading of what they need to report and how.

Correct, I has little to do with consumers, it has more to do with stock market confidence on the accounting practices of a corporation.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I wonder if this announcement has anything to do with the generally less than stellar press reviews of the AppleTV.

Maybe, but I think is a dead on target with the issue of the device not being extendable and closed.

Then again it could be simply that they had all these plans in the works (for the particular software) but not sufficient time and personnel to complete it by release date, so instead they will complete the software within 2 years, and release it as it becomes ready, LOL.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Then again it could be simply that they had all these plans in the works (for the particular software) but not sufficient time and personnel to complete it by release date, so instead they will complete the software within 2 years, and release it as it becomes ready, LOL.

I think you are right. iTunes files are littered with reference to functions the ATV has yet to implement. Generally Apple does not put in these references until the functionality it supports is implemented. That the references are still there implies, to me, that they had to pull people off the development for some reason and they just left the localized files intact. It may not be just Leopard that had people pulled - iTunes and AppleTV both will interact with iPhone so I speculates that they are helping with the iPhone and then will come back to the ATV, Im not sure but Apple might even use the same developers for iTunes/AppleTV/iPhone because its in the same department.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marchhare View Post

How can they do this with this, but I had to pay $2 for 802.11n software?

You're joking, right?

A specification that isn't finalized and you want it turned on for free? How many cell phones have you had that are not locked in with your provider? The phone can be opened up but you don't get that for free and they aren't based upon some specification in flux.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState View Post

But games and much more are coming for sure. See you iTunes Localizable.strings file.

Manage your ATV files manually:

"4309.061" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music on your Apple TV? You will need to manually eject your Apple TV before it can be disconnected safely.";

"4309.062" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music and videos on your Apple TV? You will need to manually eject your Apple TV before it can be disconnected safely.";

"4309.063" = "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music on your Apple TV? All existing content on the Apple TV ?^1? will be replaced with content from your iTunes library.";

"4309.064" = "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music and videos on your Apple TV? All existing content on the Apple TV ?^1? will be replaced with content from your iTunes library.";

Use the hard drive as a hard drive like an iPod can:

"4309.065" = "Enabling the Apple TV for disk use requires manually ejecting the Apple TV before each disconnect, even when automatically syncing music.";

"4309.066" = "The software required for communicating with the Apple TV is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the Apple TV?s software.";

Voice memos from your iPhone:

"4309.071" = "Voice Memos";

"4309.073" = "The Apple TV ?^1? contains new voice memos. Would you like to move these voice memos to your iTunes library?";

"4309.074" = "Moving voice memos to your iTunes library?";

Syncing of contacts, calendars, nikeplus data

(note this strings are found under the AppleTV Section even though they do not use the word AppleTV like the others)

"4309.127" = "Syncing contacts on ?^1??";

"4309.128" = "Syncing calendars on ?^1??";

"4309.129" = "Sending workout data to nikeplus.com?";

"4309.130" = "Downloading Nike*+*iPod voice kit?";

"4309.131" = "Installing Nike*+*iPod voice kit?";

"4309.132" = "Syncing contacts and calendars on ?^1??";

Games:

"4309.161" = "Are you sure you want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV ?^1? will be replaced with games from this iTunes library.";

"4309.162" = "Are you sure you do not want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV ?^1? will be removed.";

"4309.163" = "Syncing games on ?^1??";

Purchasing directly from ATV:

"4309.194" = "The Apple TV ?^1? was not erased and synced because some iTunes Store purchases were not transferred to this iTunes library.";

"4309.195" = "Waiting for Apple TV?";

Your analysis is flawed. You might note that these same strings are all listed under both the iPod section (4300) and the mobile phone section (4301). Did you even read what you copied because some of the messages don't even make sense? Like the nike+ messages, 4309.130 and 131. What good would nike+ software do on the AppleTV? Or 4309.062, about having to eject the AppleTV? Why would have to eject the AppleTV since it is never directly connected to the source computer? All it shows is that all these messages are kept in sync between the various sections.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Your analysis is flawed. You might note that these same strings are all listed under both the iPod section (4300) and the mobile phone section (4301). Did you even read what you copied because some of the messages don't even make sense?

No I just cut and pasted it with out reading it cause Im blind. /sarcasm

If you compare the sections that have similar strings you will notice they all actually do the functions in the real world except for the games on the phone.

Quote:

Like the nike+ messages, 4309.130 and 131. What good would nike+ software do on the AppleTV?

I know a lot of runners that would love to see there progress on their TV's- there is a lot that can be done with this in the future.

Quote:

Or 4309.062, about having to eject the AppleTV? Why would have to eject the AppleTV since it is never directly connected to the source computer? .

Ever connected to another computer on the network? You have to eject it when you are done.

Quote:

All it shows is that all these messages are kept in sync between the various sections.

Well that would be true, however if you go and look at the actual file its not kept in sync between the different sections at all.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState View Post

No I just cut and pasted it with out reading it cause Im blind. /sarcasm

If you compare the sections that have similar strings you will notice they all actually do the functions in the real world except for the games on the phone.

I know a lot of runners that would love to see there progress on their TV's- there is a lot that can be done with this in the future.

Ever connected to another computer on the network? You have to eject it when you are done.

Well that would be true, however if you go and look at the actual file its not kept in sync between the different sections at all.

I don't know either way (obviously) but it seems to me like... with the way they market the AppleTV with the iPod line so thoroughly, it would make sense if they wrote all the iTunes coding for it in the same fashion. I mean, if you go through the snippets you found, you can replace "AppleTV" with "iPod" and it makes perfect sense.

Maybe they tossed the code into Microsoft Word and just did a "Find and Replace.." on the whole thing.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    ddarkoddarko Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Adobe have made the same interpretation as Apple.

I don't know about Adobe but Apple's explanation is BS.

The ONLY thing the accounting rules required Apple to do was to figure out a value for the n upgrade so the value could be booked on Apple's balance sheet. That's it: figure out how much this upgrade is worth. But what Apple did was more than set a value; it decided to capture that value from customers by actually charging $1.99 for the upgrade. Charging customer was NOT REQUIRED for the accounting obligations. The rules say Apple had to figure out a value for the n upgrade; it doesn't say forcing customers to cough up a real fee was the only way to determine that value. It could have said the upgrade is worth X amount and then booked it on their balance sheets. End of story, accounting rules satisfied. It's misleading bordering on lying for Apple to say that it was forced by accounting rules to charge customers. Not true, the only thing Apple is required to do is set a value. It decided to charge customers all on its own. Accounting had nothing to do with that decision. If you want a decent explanation for this, check out this news.com article:

http://news.com.com/Apples+802.11n+a...3-6151790.html
  • Reply 31 of 69
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    I would like to apologize for being a complete waste of carbon. I have violated the terms of service of this board and deserve to be banned.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    (in relation to a now deleted comment made by the genetic mistake above regarding the topic being in red):

It's an automatic feature based on how many replies a thread gets in a certain amount of time. What you probably did by replying is made it last longer. And I extended it again just to please you.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    ddarkoddarko Posts: 22member
    I think you've confused the administrator with the green aliens in black helicopters who are stealing your mind. Don't forget to put your aluminum helmet back on.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The title of post #32 still remains.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Beat you to it Jeff.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    It's hard to tell if this is a case of them adding value to the product after people have purchased it, or shipping a product before it's complete and finishing it afterwards via software updates...

In the case of ATv, it's really as though they shipped an incomplete product package and now are (hopefully) going to finish it by increasing it's limited functionality.

Their press releases always have such a wonderful slant on them. What if Windows released a statement saying that Vista would include free updates to functionality - would you all be so glowing in your response? I mean, SP1 and SP2 greatly improved the feature set, useability, etc. of XP... isn't that the same thing?
  • Reply 37 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Ok, now I'm going to go ahead and work on the assumption (which may be wrong) that Sarbanes-Oxley was a good idea, for some reason. Someone want to clue me in on what that was? It seems to be more of a pain in the ass for the consumer in this particular circumstance.

Apple's choices have nothing to do with S/O directly.

They chose to do it that way.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Which less than stellar reviews are you talking about? I haven't seen any.

All the reviews I saw were pretty good. The only things they wondered about was when Apple would offer HD from iTunes, which has nothing to do with the ATv itself, and if Apple would have the device import more file types.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

Beat you to it Jeff.

Dang! I hate reading about posts that don't exist.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

It's hard to tell if this is a case of them adding value to the product after people have purchased it, or shipping a product before it's complete and finishing it afterwards via software updates...

In the case of ATv, it's really as though they shipped an incomplete product package and now are (hopefully) going to finish it by increasing it's limited functionality.

Their press releases always have such a wonderful slant on them. What if Windows released a statement saying that Vista would include free updates to functionality - would you all be so glowing in your response? I mean, SP1 and SP2 greatly improved the feature set, useability, etc. of XP... isn't that the same thing?

We don't know that the ATv isn't finished. According to the reviews I've read, it seems to do just what it's been advertised to do.

This is an open system, just as the iPhone, and Apple's computers are, and to a certain extent the iPods are as well. They are designed to be upgraded.

By the way "Windows" doesn't release any statements, it's only a program.