Apple to build new features into iPhone, Apple TV free of charge

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple said Wednesday it will leverage its proven capability in the area of software development to gradually add new software features and applications to its iPhone and Apple TV products free of charge, providing its customers with the "greatest possible experience."

"We are taking this bold step to leverage what we do best," chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer said during a conference call with analysts and members of the media. He added that some of the new iPhone applications will be "entirely new applications."

Oppenheimer offered few additional details on the two-pronged initiative, but implied that the new features and applications would be made available through automatic software updates to both iPhone and Apple TV.

In order to account for the new features, Apple said it will document iPhone and Apple TV income through a subscription based accounting model, in which income will be distributed over a 24-month period. Payments from AT&T/Cingular will be reported on a quarterly basis.

During the call, executives for the Cupertino-based company also revealed that Apple retail store personnel are "putting a lot of energy into preparing for the launch" of iPhone and how to best market the revolutionary device to customers.

Although Apple has yet to begin taking iPhone orders through retail or its online store, it said to expect an announcement at a later date.

The company remains on track to introduce the device in Europe during the fourth calendar quarter (Oct. - Dec.) and Asia in 2008. In the United States, iPhones will be sold via Apple.com, Cingular.com, Apple retail stores, and Cingular/AT&T retail stores. They will not be sold through Cingular/AT&T partner stores such as Best Buy.

Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook would not comment on initial iPhone supply, explaining that the company had not yet begun manufacturing ramp of the device.

"It's very difficult to tell what demand is until you're shipping the product," he said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I'd like to start with the iPod games on the Apple TV please. I just want Texas Hold'em!

And then add the widgets already. My wife wants the weather widget on the big screen in the morning along with some news.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    It's spelled "you're."

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 3 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I'd like to start with the iPod games on the Apple TV please. I just want Texas Hold'em!

And then add the widgets already. My wife wants the weather widget on the big screen in the morning along with some news.

Widgets sound interesting, but I don't think many of the games would work on AppleTV without reworking the wheel control, never mind that it would probably need an ARM emulator.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    How can they do this with this, but I had to pay $2 for 802.11n software?
  • Reply 5 of 69
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    It could be because they're adding new software features, rather than a new hardware feature (which the 802.11n was, even if only had to be enabled by software).

Alternatively, in the case of the iPhone they could argue that the customer is continuing to pay for the device over time via the contract, so they can then add new features to it without having to charge extra. That couldn't apply to the iTV, though, so it's most likely the first.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Yes add more to the apple tv, that way asides from adding OSX hacking would be unnecessary. Then I'd buy one. Or they could just lower the price, then I'd also buy one.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    "How can they do this with this, but I had to pay $2 for 802.11n software?"

They're switching to a "subscription model" for AppleTV and iPhone (this has nothing to do with "iTunes subscriptions" or anything like that; it's a financial term). This will allow them to do precisely that - roll out significant new features for existing and sold products at no charge to the customer.

They didn't do the same with the desktop line for complex reasons. In any case, long story short, AppleTV and iPhone may receive significant software updates for free. Yay!
  • Reply 8 of 69
    when I red the title i thought apple would begiving away apple tvs with the iphone. oh, well.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    The title here is a little misleading; they're not "building" new features in, they're rolling them out via software updates. If I had to guess, I'd say a typical such update would be, for instance, the ability to read RSS feeds on AppleTV or an additional application for iPhone.

One thing many are forgetting in their criticism of AppleTV and iPhone is that both of those are platforms quite a bit more open than, say, iPod. I expect that AppleTV and iPhone will be updated with both free AND for-pay updates which will bring significant improvements. The logistic and technical issues with both are much easier to overcome than with iPod - development will be done for OS X, not for the iPod platform, and both devices have much greater input and output capabilities than iPod.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think many of the games would work on AppleTV without reworking the wheel control, never mind that it would probably need an ARM emulator.

But games and much more are coming for sure. See you iTunes Localizable.strings file.

Manage your ATV files manually:

"4309.061" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music on your Apple TV? You will need to manually eject your Apple TV before it can be disconnected safely.";

"4309.062" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music and videos on your Apple TV? You will need to manually eject your Apple TV before it can be disconnected safely.";

"4309.063" = "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music on your Apple TV? All existing content on the Apple TV “^1” will be replaced with content from your iTunes library.";

"4309.064" = "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music and videos on your Apple TV? All existing content on the Apple TV “^1” will be replaced with content from your iTunes library.";

Use the hard drive as a hard drive like an iPod can:

"4309.065" = "Enabling the Apple TV for disk use requires manually ejecting the Apple TV before each disconnect, even when automatically syncing music.";

"4309.066" = "The software required for communicating with the Apple TV is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the Apple TV’s software.";

Voice memos from your iPhone:

"4309.071" = "Voice Memos";

"4309.073" = "The Apple TV “^1” contains new voice memos. Would you like to move these voice memos to your iTunes library?";

"4309.074" = "Moving voice memos to your iTunes library…";

Syncing of contacts, calendars, nikeplus data

(note this strings are found under the AppleTV Section even though they do not use the word AppleTV like the others)

"4309.127" = "Syncing contacts on “^1”…";

"4309.128" = "Syncing calendars on “^1”…";

"4309.129" = "Sending workout data to nikeplus.com…";

"4309.130" = "Downloading Nike*+*iPod voice kit…";

"4309.131" = "Installing Nike*+*iPod voice kit…";

"4309.132" = "Syncing contacts and calendars on “^1”…";

Games:

"4309.161" = "Are you sure you want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be replaced with games from this iTunes library.";

"4309.162" = "Are you sure you do not want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be removed.";

"4309.163" = "Syncing games on “^1”…";

Purchasing directly from ATV:

"4309.194" = "The Apple TV “^1” was not erased and synced because some iTunes Store purchases were not transferred to this iTunes library.";

"4309.195" = "Waiting for Apple TV…";
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marchhare View Post

Two reasons:

1) After the Performa PPC upgrade settlement, Apple agreed to never advertise a product as upgradable unless that upgrade was available at the time of purchase. The .11n upgrade wasn't available at the time.

2) Under Sarbanes-Oxley, the company needs to account for the costs of new features, which they cannot do after the sale is made. Hence, the 'subscription'. It's the same reason why iPod updates can't include features developed for newer iPods. Different companies interpret SO in different ways and Apple is generally pretty conservative on it.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState View Post

But games and much more are coming for sure. See you iTunes Localizable.strings file.

Nicely done! Lots of cool new functionality to look forward to!
  • Reply 13 of 69
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Ok, now I'm going to go ahead and work on the assumption (which may be wrong) that Sarbanes-Oxley was a good idea, for some reason. Someone want to clue me in on what that was? It seems to be more of a pain in the ass for the consumer in this particular circumstance.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marchhare View Post

New laws forced Apple to charge for the upgrade. Ludicrous.

By accounting for each sale quarterly, Apple can report that the users HAVE paid for an upgrade (as long as they don't upgrade more than once a quarter, perhaps?)
  • Reply 15 of 69
    Quote:

Although Apple has yet to begin taking iPhone orders through retail or its online store, it said to expect an announcement at a later date. The company remains on track to introduce the device in Europe during the fourth calendar quarter (Oct. - Dec.) and Asia in 2008.

I wish Apple would include information for a Canadian introduction date. After all, Europe and Asia are kind of far away in comparaison to your friendly northern neighbor. For myself, it will be very hard and frustrating having a US launch (yet so close and yet so far) and not able to put my hand on the very coveted iPhone before many months, imagine if Europe or Asia have it at a earlier date than Canada (nightmare).

\
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Sarbanes-Oxley is... complex. Very broadly speaking, it was supposed to reinstate confidence in accounting practices in the US by introducing new standards and regulations. It has numerous provisions, all presumably designed to make business and accounting more, well, accountable. This specific issue with Apple is, as pointed out, a consequence of their reading of what they need to report and how.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsonwax View Post

Different companies interpret SO in different ways and Apple is generally pretty conservative on it.

Adobe have made the same interpretation as Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    I really want the iphone to support mobile open GL, i dont know the name. Through that some less damanding computer games have ben played on pocket pcs.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    Here's what I've been dying to find out...

When apple releases the iphone, and I buy a phone... am I going to go through a "credit check" as well?

Generally when you buy a phone with contract, you are subject to credit checks....

Not to say my credit is bad, but do you think thats going to happen?... Or maybe I'll be able to walk into the apple store, buy a $600 phone, and be automatically placed into a contract without a credit check...

ugh. So people that "don't pass" then what? heh... :-/ sorry im sporatic, i dont know if im asking this correctly.

sigh.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    If Cingular requires a credit check, then I'm assuming Apple will be running those during the purchase/signup. It will probably be similar to the current Juniper Visa process, or perhaps even more streamlined.

I envision a dedicated iPhone counter where you'll be asked a few questions - are you currently a Cingular customer? Are you still under contract? Would you like to keep your current phone number? Here, fill out this application (on a Mac, not on - ugh - paper).

Another great thing would be if you could sign up online for a spot at the iPhone signup counter, Concierge-style.