Apple to build new features into iPhone, Apple TV free of charge

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

The word "upgrade" implies upgrading existing features. The title is correct. Yes, they are delivering these new features via the software upgrade program but do not mistake the delivery method for the feature type.

I wasn't questioning that; I was taking issue with the phrase "build in." Even if some future software update to iPhone includes a mini version of iWork, I wouldn't call that "building a feature in." It's adding it on. "Build in" implies functionality existent from the start; it's the precise opposite of what Apple is saying they might do in the future, which is add to the built-in feature set.

I was disagreeing with the language of the title, not the contention that Apple will include significant new functionality (above and beyond patches and "updates") in these software roll-outs.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    Quote:

That second definition of upgrade is very broad.. what if apple then gives you tetris for free? (assuming it's not included in the first iphone shipment)... is that an upgrade?. what exactly then is not an upgrade?

There's no reason to get too hung up on the difference; it's both subjective and clear.

Updates are commonly understood to be minor changes, or changes to behind-the-scenes mechanisms which aren't reflected in the "userland" part of the software beyond making it faster, more stable, secure, etc. Software updates make software run the way it should have from the start, given a certain set of requirements for what the software should do.

Upgrades are major changes which include added, previously unavailable functionality. While adding a single button could be viewed as an "upgrade" of sorts, most developers don't just roll out an upgrade of that sort - they wait until they have enough new features to justify a new release.

An example: if Apple Mail lacked a Reply button, that would call for a (quick) update - the software would be unfinished without it. But adding RSS feeds to Apple Mail - that's quite clearly an upgrade by almost anyone's standard. But that doesn't mean that Apple will release a whole new version of OS X to add that one feature; they'll put together a whole lot of them.

So in conclusion, if (when?) iPhone and AppleTV get "upgraded", expect several entirely new features to appear on them.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

That second definition of upgrade is very broad.. what if apple then gives you tetris for free? (assuming it's not included in the first iphone shipment)... is that an upgrade?. what exactly then is not an upgrade?

It's something we're pretty familliar with.

When you get an update from a company, do you pay for it, and why is that so, do you think?

When you get an upgrade, do you pay for it, and why is that so?

10.4.9 was an update, while 10.5 will be an upgrade, for example.

The differention between the two is clear. Update fixes bugs, broken features, etc., and is free, normally.

Upgrade adds major features as well as does the above, and we pay for it, usually.

Apple has already more than hinted that we will see new programs on the iPhone with these upgrades.

I don't know exactly what we will get for the ATv.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    I bought an Apple TV 2 days ago and I must say that I'm very pleased. I was going to wait for the next gen device but took the plunge in view of the potential future updates. I have no problems with upgrading the HD myself, so I'm sure it will do me for a good few years.

I live in the UK, so I can't download movies yet anyway, so I use it to watch my already 'handbreaked' film collection. Thus far I find that my H.264 encoded movies are better than DVD quality on my 1080i TV and sound great through my THX amp.

I'll be ordering a Logitech Harmony 1000 tomorrow to do away with all my remotes.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    It's too bad there's no real programming api / sdk for the iphone. Only "web 2.0 standards"... well that sure sounds modern.

Anyway, i read some positive stuff over at http://www.iphone-know.com/ and over on gizmado about the phone. The visual voice mail and at&t's service aint too bad.

• Reply 66 of 69
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnymango View Post

Anyway, i read some positive stuff over at http://www.iphone-know.com/

You mean you wrote it and are looking for visitors.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Actually, I can see apple enabling features on the iphone as we move along and adopt leopard.

They are going to book iphone and Apple TV sales in 24 month subscription accounting. That should allow for more and frequent capability upgrades as we move along.

I am sure that leopard + iphone will prove to have WAY more features than iphone +windows.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsonwax View Post

2) Under Sarbanes-Oxley, the company needs to account for the costs of new features, which they cannot do after the sale is made. Hence, the 'subscription'. It's the same reason why iPod updates can't include features developed for newer iPods. Different companies interpret SO in different ways and Apple is generally pretty conservative on it.

all products/projects that involve computer software have (or should have) a built-in cost for fixes and add-ons.

free fixes and add ons are a standard in MS land...just months ago MS began offering Office 2003 patches for 2007 compatibility.

SOX basically says that you have to make controls for yourself and have external audits to validate them. It doesn't specify what those controlls are more than from a very high level

That upgrade charge thing was either a money grab or the result of a manager who was completely fucked by an internal auditor...From the company who just released free upgrades to the ATV (youtube) after all the bad press,, I say $$$ GRAB!
  • Reply 69 of 69
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    As another matter, I can see the iphone and apple TV being an interesting pair.

What if your iphone can be used via bluetooth to control the apple TV? You could then browse the itunes movie store for content using the touch screen keyboard. Or, more interestingly, you could pre order from the iphone and have the movie waiting on your apple TV for when you get home (back to my mac).....

or, have your content streamed to your iphone. Think Slingbox.

No, we have yet to see the full picture of what is possible with leopard + iphone + apple TV.

I could easily see the Apple TV becoming the home media server. Especially if version 2 or 3 incorporates all of the features of the airport extreme 802.11n

big things indeed.