Briefly: Apple Expo, Apple TV at Costco, Ballmer on iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Would I trade 96 percent of the market for 4 percent of the market? (Laughter.) I want to have products that appeal to everybody."

Poor Stevie... he actually thinks people buy his products because they want to. How many EU aniti-trust suits will it take for you to realize you have a monopoly on OS stand alone sales... start looking in people's homes and you'll see what people choose when they have a choice.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Other highlights from the Ballmer interview:

Q: People get passionate when Apple comes out with something new ? the iPhone; of course, the iPod. Is that something that you'd want them to feel about Microsoft?

A:

.. <snip>

.. <snip>

In the case of music, Apple got out early. They were the first to really recognize that you couldn't just think about the device and all the pieces separately. Bravo. Credit that to Steve (Jobs) and Apple. They did a nice job.

But it's not like we're at the end of the line of innovation that's going to come in the way people listen to music, watch videos, etc. I'll bet our ads will be less edgy. But my 85-year-old uncle probably will never own an iPod, and I hope we'll get him to own a Zune.

Q: Would you agree with Steve Jobs that music companies should get rid of the digital rights management that makes it hard to copy songs?

A: I will not either agree or disagree. Every recording artist, in my opinion, is entitled to make their own decision. And I don't think Apple or Microsoft should be imposing its will on folks, because people will have different economic interests, different things to think about. We're a company that makes tools, and we're going to enable people to use those tools and make their own judgments as individual artists.

How does Microsoft enable artists with the ability to choose whether to use DRM or not? They force the DRM on DRM-free tracks! I don't see much of a choice there.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Well he was asked a direct question about them. If he ignored the question it would look like he was nervous.

Well, according to Arnold Schwarzenegger, arguably one of the biggest self-promoters out there, you should answer the question, but redirect the discussion to what you are promoting immediately... so, Ballmer could have said instead, "There's no question Apple is an excellent marketing company selling niche products to vocal fans, although at Microsoft we believe our industry-leading position continues to set the standard for the vast majority of computer and digital entertainment consumers...", etc.

Not that I want to be accused of giving Ballmer any advice.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Per your calculations 3% is 39 million. That's a lot of added revenue! And how many Zunes has Microsoft sold? Has Microsoft sold 1 Million yet?
  • Reply 25 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    It's not the iPhone generation 1 that should be worrying Ballmer. It's "Generation 3" in 5 years after solid evolution.

Do you remember the advice that Falco (Senator) gave Commodus in The Gladiator?

I have been told of a certain sea snake which has a very unusual method of attracting its prey. It will lie at the bottom of the ocean as if wounded. Then its enemies will approach, and yet it will lie quite still. And then its enemies will take little bites of it, and yet it remains still.

This is a good analogy to what Apple is doing. While Microsoft his huffing and puffing and blustering about Apple is laying quite as if wounded. Even then Apple cannot mask the shot acrosst Microsofts bow with Leopard Server. With a Calendar Server built on open standards sitting at hte root..Apple is indeed planning an assault on Microsoft's Outlook/Exchange dominance.

The iPhone figures into this heavily simply because it's not going to lock people into a MS Exchange solution it's going to give companies the ability to deploy iPhones in networks that don't run Leopard Calendar Server or Exchange but DO run a CALDAV enabled calendar and open mail standards.

Microsoft isn't dumb. They see this coming but consumers and the occasional clueless tech writer don't.

Generation 1 will be about launching a working product.

Generation 2 will be about opening up the platform and filling out the featureset

Generation 3 will be extending the lead in areas of iPhone strength. The ecosystem at this time will be huge for the iPhone. We'll be approaching 10.7 and basically your digital lifestyle will follow you everywhere in your pocket.

Right now. Apple is "scaring" a lot of people...Microsoft included.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's not the iPhone generation 1 that should be worrying Ballmer. It's "Generation 3" in 5 years after solid evolution.

Do you remember the advice that Falco (Senator) gave Commodus in The Gladiator?

I have been told of a certain sea snake which has a very unusual method of attracting its prey. It will lie at the bottom of the ocean as if wounded. Then its enemies will approach, and yet it will lie quite still. And then its enemies will take little bites of it, and yet it remains still.

This is a good analogy to what Apple is doing. While Microsoft his huffing and puffing and blustering about Apple is laying quite as if wounded. Even then Apple cannot mask the shot acrosst Microsofts bow with Leopard Server. With a Calendar Server built on open standards sitting at hte root..Apple is indeed planning an assault on Microsoft's Outlook/Exchange dominance.

The iPhone figures into this heavily simply because it's not going to lock people into a MS Exchange solution it's going to give companies the ability to deploy iPhones in networks that don't run Leopard Calendar Server or Exchange but DO run a CALDAV enabled calendar and open mail standards.

Microsoft isn't dumb. They see this coming but consumers and the occasional clueless tech writer don't.

Generation 1 will be about launching a working product.

Generation 2 will be about opening up the platform and filling out the featureset

Generation 3 will be extending the lead in areas of iPhone strength. The ecosystem at this time will be huge for the iPhone. We'll be approaching 10.7 and basically your digital lifestyle will follow you everywhere in your pocket.

Right now. Apple is "scaring" a lot of people...Microsoft included.

Making Boot Camp for OSX was the big move that started it. I've spoken and read of so many people that bought new Macs and finally having the chance to compare side by side OSX with Windows is what made them finally throw off the chains and see that, yes, Macs are better, Apple is better, and Microsoft has been selling them a bill of goods!
  • Reply 27 of 64
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

But my 85-year-old uncle probably will never own an iPod, and I hope we'll get him to own a Zune.

Oh dear. Imagine Ballmer trying to teach that 85-year old to use Zune. The old chap could die!
  • Reply 28 of 64
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

Ballmer's inferiority complex

I sure wish the hell he pony up for a toupee - he is one fugly, monkey jumpin S_B

Didn't some Brit figure out a few years back that chicken manure helped grow hair?
  • Reply 29 of 64
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

I sure wish the hell he pony up for a toupee - he is one fugly, monkey jumpin S_B

Didn't some Brit figure out a few years back that chicken manure helped grow hair?

ha ha, it's funny when you make fun of bald people. You're so witty
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, according to Arnold Schwarzenegger, arguably one of the biggest self-promoters out there......

Hey, hey, hey..... Ahnold is my hero (seriously). Pls don't sully his name by comparing him to Ballmer.

• Reply 31 of 64
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

ha ha, it's funny when you make fun of bald people. You're so witty

Well, some bald guys look good! Such as myself..

But his only help is to cover it up - and that may not work! Sorry your feelings were so close to your scalp... I hope you are not a chicken farmer too.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

BALLMER SAYS: ..... "It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money."

I am sure it must be me, but I am having trouble figuring out his logic here.

How can "they make a lot of money" if it's a "subsidized item?"

• Reply 33 of 64
    Regarding Ballmer's comment about Apple making a lot of money, I would say that is a good thing. Companies exist to make money. Let's have a look at the performance of AAPL vs MSFT over the past 5 years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5y&s...z=m&q=l&c=MSFT

Case closed.

Apple surpassed Dell's market cap, I say that in 10 years, it will surpass Microsoft's as well. Microsoft is sitting around not doing anything really innovative, making products that people think are 'just ok' while Apple is innovating all the time and making products that people 'love'.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am sure it must be me, but I am having trouble figuring out his logic here.

How can "they make a lot of money" if it's a "subsidized item?"

I think he was referring to Cingular subsidizing the phone (by paying money to Apple for each one sold, by sharing subscription revenue), hence Apple making a lot of money. Of course all of that is pure speculation right now, as far as I've heard.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Target and now Costco for Apple TV? With all the channel clogging, I think we're going to get an HD content announcement soon.

Jobs said the EMI non-DRM content would be coming in May, and The Beatles are still out there, so maybe there's a content announcement coming before WWDC.

I saw a big Apple TV stand a Fry's this weekend. They also sell it online at frys.com:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/514...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

I think he was referring to Cingular subsidizing the phone (by paying money to Apple for each one sold, by sharing subscription revenue), hence Apple making a lot of money.

I thought about that possibility. However, it seems to me that the prices as announced by SJ in Jan ($499 and $599) would be roughly the same whether they were selling the locked version (in the US) or not (outside the US). I can see that it might be at a bit of a premium in the UK or EU in currency-adjusted terms, but that is normal of all of Apple's pricing in those markets (relative to US pricing). In other words, that has nothing to do with whether it is locked or not (the locked version being the "subsidized" one).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

Of course all of that is pure speculation right now, as far as I've heard.

I think that is a fair assessment.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Oh dear. Imagine Ballmer trying to teach that 85-year old to use Zune. The old chap could die!

My jaw dropped when I read that line in the transcript. The fact that he used an 85-year-old in an anecdote about ANY product is pretty funny, but it's damn ridiculous in an example about MUSIC PLAYERS!

Go away Mr. Pasty White Dinosaur Man! And take your Zune with you!
  • Reply 38 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

My jaw dropped when I read that line in the transcript. The fact that he used an 85-year-old in an anecdote about ANY product is pretty funny, but it's damn ridiculous in an example about MUSIC PLAYERS!

Go away Mr. Pasty White Dinosaur Man! And take your Zune with you!

And he'd be 86 before the Zune successfully synced with his PC.

Seriously though, to think that the iPod is harder to use than a Zune is just foolish at best.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ballmer

But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60 percent or 70 percent or 80 percent of them, than I would to have 2 percent or 3 percent, which is what Apple might get.

Uhm.... Ballmer forgot to mention one small thing about Microsoft's CURRENT smartphone OS marketshare:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Matalino (on MacRumors)

Canalys worldwide total smartphone device market - market shares 2006 Q4 2006:

Symbian - 72.5%

Linux - 16.9%

PalmSource - 2.0%

Microsoft - 4.6%

RIM - 3.8%

Others - 0.2%

Way to go, loser.

By the way, AI, thank you once again for pulling that freightening S. Ballmer image from the vault. Now I won't be able to sleep for another 3 weeks.

-Clive
  • Reply 40 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Uhm.... Ballmer forgot to mention one small thing about Microsoft's CURRENT smartphone OS marketshare:

Way to go, loser.

By the way, AI, thank you once again for pulling that freightening S. Ballmer image from the vault. Now I won't be able to sleep for another 3 weeks.

In Ballmer's defense, he didn't say had a 60-80% marketshare, he said he'd rather have a higher market share than a lower one. Of course he would. This is just good CEO-speak. If we examine what Jobs has said and what he implied I'm certain we can find more quotes. As for chair throwing, Ballmer has that one beat.