Briefly: Apple Expo, Apple TV at Costco, Ballmer on iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In Ballmer's defense, he didn't say had a 60-80% marketshare, he said he'd rather have a higher market share than a lower one. Of course he would. This is just good CEO-speak. If we examine what Jobs has said and what he implied I'm certain we can find more quotes. As for chair throwing, Ballmer has that one beat.

What Ballmer said was obviously misleading. He's belittleing a potential 3% market-share by Apple compared to his 4.6% -- and he's pushing the almighty Windows!

Ballmer is a right bastard and a deceiver. Sure every Exec. must be adept at "CEO-speak" but the things MS execs say are downright misleading, and in some cases false. Remember when Bill Gates said that people were hacking the Mac everyday and that he "challenged anyone to do that on the PC?" Well challenge accepted, and challenge completed. That's the reality. PCs get hacked daily. Macs only get hacked in $10,000 contests where the computer will open any link sent to it in an e-mail.

Liars.

-Clive
  • Reply 42 of 64
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

I sure wish the hell he pony up for a toupee - he is one fugly, monkey jumpin S_B

Didn't some Brit figure out a few years back that chicken manure helped grow hair?

If that were true, Ballmer would be completely covered with hair.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Oh dear. Imagine Ballmer trying to teach that 85-year old to use Zune. The old chap could die!

yes, i hope he has some "zuneagra" to help him with that squirt feature.......
  • Reply 44 of 64
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

What Ballmer said was obviously misleading. He's belittleing a potential 3% market-share by Apple compared to his 4.6% -- and he's pushing the almighty Windows!

Ballmer is a right bastard and a deceiver. Sure every Exec. must be adept at "CEO-speak" but the things MS execs say are downright misleading, and in some cases false. Remember when Bill Gates said that people were hacking the Mac everyday and that he "challenged anyone to do that on the PC?" Well challenge accepted, and challenge completed. That's the reality. PCs get hacked daily. Macs only get hacked in $10,000 contests where the computer will open any link sent to it in an e-mail.

Liars.

-Clive

What the hell is wrong with you?

Did Ballmer bang your sister and never call her back?
  • Reply 45 of 64
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Steve said his only looking to get 1% market share the first year, and ballmer in the other hand says they will get 3% lol ohh my god am so lucky i dont hold MSFT shares anymore, really what a dum as, and now that cingular is offering unlimitted text just for $5 trust me thats a another way to say good bey even to nextel

famous 2 way radio and welcome to iphone, text is the future trust me more private and even school teens will be able to use it right from class rooms, with out no one knowing it
  • Reply 46 of 64
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

...really what a dum as...

Ahhhh, irony.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Ballmer would rather own a McDonald's franchise than a five star restaurant. Fine. Go flip your hamburgers while the chef prepares tonight's special.

gc
  • Reply 48 of 64
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    Quote:

"It's sort of a funny question," he said when asked by USA Today whether he wished consumers were as passionate about Microsoft as they are towards Apple, the iPod, and now iPhone. "Would I trade 96 percent of the market for 4 percent of the market? (Laughter.) I want to have products that appeal to everybody."

Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer | Photo Credits: AP

"Now we'll get a chance to go through this again in phones and music players," Ballmer continued. "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60 percent or 70 percent or 80 percent of them, than I would to have 2 percent or 3 percent, which is what Apple might get."

I believe Ballmer is referring to Microsoft's mobile Window software being currently used in smartphones. He is saying iPhone can't compete against that, hence he is not worry.

While I don't agree with his arrogant quote here, he may have a good point and we just have to see how well iPhone will take off when it comes to June.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Here's a better, more truthful blog headline: 'Balmer is an idiot'.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer: "Now we'll get a chance to go through this again in phones and music players,"

Translation: We've made a killing copying Apple's Mac OS and now we'll get a chance to go through this again by copying the iPhone and iPod.

• Reply 51 of 64
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

What the hell is wrong with you?

Did Ballmer bang your sister and never call her back?

Ballmer has sex with humans??

• Reply 52 of 64
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog View Post

I never thought I'd hear a MS exec say EXPLICITLY that they think that having huge market share is more important than making money.

Ballmer is even more of an idiot than I thought he was...

A frequent mistake of the nakedly greedy businessman, Corporatus neandertalis.

That quantity is better than quality, that market share is better than market changing, that it is better to run 1000 McDonald's than 1 great restaurant.

This aesthetism and commensurate ethos would be laughable and/pitiable if not for the havoc it can create. It made Enron not just an interesting MBA experiment, but it made Enron powerful (illusion) and persoanlly and social destructive to a great number of people. This ethos creates the banality that lets banks, investment firms and their dependents play the economy like it is some game.

I don't want to be overly dramatic, but Balmer is an icon of a very bad strain within business that allows mean spirited people to become successful and powerful without having actually added much to their culture or society. They can't add to life so they tear other people and other companies down. And rather than concentrating on good products, they concentrate on profits and statistics. That kind of business life is easier and doesn't require much of a moral compass.

So laugh at the monkey dance, but don't allow similar people that you see everyday in business think that they are getting away with anything.

Sorry, gordon, you beat me to it, but I didn't read your post!
  • Reply 53 of 64
    60, 70 or 80% Did I miss the part where Ballmer suddenly had a vision of 25 years in the future on the planet Microsucksotamia? Only like 20 million phones are smart phones which run some sort of actual OS and less than 1 million of those run a Winblows Mobile. Of course he would LIKE to see his company have that much market share, who wouldn't (for their own company, not M$). But that is just regular Ballmer spouting off his delusional ideas. Why is he not in a white, padded room yet?
  • Reply 54 of 64
    I find it amusing that Balmer seems to be attempting to imitate Jobs in yet another way: The Reality Distortion Field. Unfortunately, like most attempts by Microsoft employees to duplicate previously proven technology, he fails quite miserably at his original goal. He has, however, PERFECTED the Reality Denial Field. Good job Stevie B.! Keep up the... uh... wor... eh.. well, keep doing stuff... .... .. - no, never mind, just stop trying. Thanks.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Poor Stevie... he actually thinks people buy his products because they want to. How many EU aniti-trust suits will it take for you to realize you have a monopoly on OS stand alone sales... start looking in people's homes and you'll see what people choose when they have a choice.

Exactly. If more Window sofware and games work on Mac i cant see a single reason to use window
  • Reply 56 of 64
    REALITY CHECK

Balmer's 85 year old uncle would probably be best served by an iPod shuffle rather than a Zune.

Apple has a product that meets his needs and Microsoft doesn't.

Microsoft currently has only 4-5% of the phone market.

Microsoft's mobile division isn't very profitable

Ballmer believes Apple will capture 3-4% of the market.

Ballmer believes Apple's iPhone will be profitable.

Microsoft only makes complex music players.

Microsoft has been in the phone market for years and still only makes complex smartphones.

Apple has expanded the ipod range to meet a wide rage of needs and price points.

Apple will expand it's iPhone line to meet a wide rage of needs and price points.

WILD SPECULATION

In 5 years Microsoft will have 5-10% of the phone market and Apple will have 30-40%.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    "There's no chance that Steve Balmer is going to ever become cool. No chance."

Oh, and Bill Gates is way smarter. Steve is lucky Bill gave him a nice job.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

A frequent mistake of the nakedly greedy businessman, Corporatus neandertalis.

That quantity is better than quality, that market share is better than market changing, that it is better to run 1000 McDonald's than 1 great restaurant.

This aesthetism and commensurate ethos would be laughable and/pitiable if not for the havoc it can create. It made Enron not just an interesting MBA experiment, but it made Enron powerful (illusion) and persoanlly and social destructive to a great number of people. This ethos creates the banality that lets banks, investment firms and their dependents play the economy like it is some game.

I don't want to be overly dramatic, but Balmer is an icon of a very bad strain within business that allows mean spirited people to become successful and powerful without having actually added much to their culture or society. They can't add to life so they tear other people and other companies down. And rather than concentrating on good products, they concentrate on profits and statistics. That kind of business life is easier and doesn't require much of a moral compass.

So laugh at the monkey dance, but don't allow similar people that you see everyday in business think that they are getting away with anything.

Sorry, gordon, you beat me to it, but I didn't read your post!

So true. Very nice post.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wow this AI article/headline actually had a smattering of personal opinion in it. It almost felt like it was written engadget style instead of like it was important news. I liked it. This place doesn't alwas need to take itself so seriously.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    sandman619sandman619 Posts: 99member
    Ballmer's inferiority complex

"It's sort of a funny question," he said when asked by USA Today whether he wished consumers were as passionate about Microsoft as they are towards Apple, the iPod, and now iPhone. "Would I trade 96 percent of the market for 4 percent of the market? (Laughter.) I want to have products that appeal to everybody."

Face it, Microsoft makes crapware too. I will choose better designed software, music player & phone regardless of the popularity. Yes, give me 5%, thats the cream at the top. The curds can go to microsofts crapware division.

Cheers Ballmer!