Briefly: Apple Expo, Apple TV at Costco, Ballmer on iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Well, some bald guys look good! Such as myself..

But his only help is to cover it up - and that may not work! Sorry your feelings were so close to your scalp... I hope you are not a chicken farmer too.

Actually, I have a full head of hair, and am in no danger of losing it. I just think if you're going to make fun of ballmer, he gives you far better material to work with beyond his scalp.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Translation: We've made a killing copying Apple's Mac OS and now we'll get a chance to go through this again by copying the iPhone and iPod.

Right ... only this time Steve isn't a fresh faced, trusting idealist who will hand Microsoft his ideas with a confidentiality contract and assume they will play fair as he did with Gates and the Mac OS and Mac Plus in 1983. No sir, this time around SJ is a much wiser man.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

A frequent mistake of the nakedly greedy businessman, Corporatus neandertalis.

That quantity is better than quality, that market share is better than market changing, that it is better to run 1000 McDonald's than 1 great restaurant.

This is an understandable, if snooty viewpoint. Less well-off people need to eat, and they have use for computers too. Nothing wrong with serving that need, profitably. Lots of people can't afford more than McD's, nor can they afford Macs.

Quote:

This aesthetism and commensurate ethos would be laughable and/pitiable if not for the havoc it can create. It made Enron not just an interesting MBA experiment, but it made Enron powerful (illusion) and persoanlly and social destructive to a great number of people. This ethos creates the banality that lets banks, investment firms and their dependents play the economy like it is some game.

I completely fail to understand your point here: What does "this aesthetism and [its] commensurate ethos" have to do with Enron, MBAs, and investment banks? This is a complete stretch.

Quote:

I don't want to be overly dramatic, but Balmer is an icon of a very bad strain within business that allows mean spirited people to become successful and powerful without having actually added much to their culture or society.

Give me a break. Microsoft's billions (now enhanced by Buffett's) have arguably made, and will make, more -- or at least as much -- of a difference to people's lives than Macs or SJ. Especially if you live in places such as Africa and Asia, and you or a family member have been afflicted with malaria, AIDS, and tuberculosis.

What has Steve Jobs, for all his ashrams and "aesthetism," done on this front? I am not at all minimizing is contributions to the world via his nurturing of Apple and Pixar, but there's more to life than computers and cartoons (a sentiment that I am sure you agree with). Has he made one iota of difference to the world's less well off? What is he doing with his billions? Heck, this is a guy that hides behind his lawyers over backdated options.....

And, on the subject of "mean-spirited," are you saying that someone like SJ is less so than SB on that score?

You are being overly dramatic.

I could go on, but I'll stop here.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Actually, I have a full head of hair, and am in no danger of losing it. I just think if you're going to make fun of ballmer, he gives you far better material to work with beyond his scalp.

100% Agreed!

But that blame picture just kills me every time I see it!!