Next MacBook update a yawner; Ultra-portable to get 13-inch display

Comments

• Reply 161 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Those are very nice. If it had an Apple logo on it, I would buy it.

They are nice. I even emailed the Engadget link to a couple people. One is looking to replace his Panasonic Toughbook W2(?) and the other is a lover of Sony notebooks.
  • Reply 162 of 238
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are nice. I even emailed the Engadget link to a couple people. One is looking to replace his Panasonic Toughbook W2(?) and the other is a lover of Sony notebooks.

While some here think that this is a small catagory, I think it is a rapidly expanding one (no pun intended )
  • Reply 163 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

While some here think that this is a small catagory, I think it is a rapidly expanding one (no pun intended )

While I agree that its a rapidly growing category, I do see it as a comparatively small one.

As Apple's sales increase it opens up many doors for Apple to expand its user-base by introducing new models and categories. It has worked well with the iPod & iMac.

I am not surprised Apple has not yet released an ultraportable, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 10-11" MacBook Pro at the WWDC. I fully expect such an offering within a year.
  • Reply 164 of 238
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    You won't see that offering if AI is right and it uses a 13" LCD. Which is really silly. Nobody makes a 13" ultraportable. It's almost an oxymoron. As others have noted in this thread, there are two main facets to portability: weight AND size. Even if someone could miraculously make a 17" 3.5 pound MacBook, it'd be too big to carry on a daily basis. I'm typing this at work on my 53-month-old 12" Powerbook G4. Like almost all 12" PB owners out there, I'd kill for something substantially lighter and even smaller. A widescreen 11" MB could be that dream machine.
  • Reply 165 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While I agree that its a rapidly growing category, I do see it as a comparatively small one.

As Apple's sales increase it opens up many doors for Apple to expand its user-base by introducing new models and categories. It has worked well with the iPod & iMac.

I am not surprised Apple has not yet released an ultraportable, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 10-11" MacBook Pro at the WWDC. I fully expect such an offering within a year.

Of course, if it's a rapidly expanding catagory, it may not remain a small one.

Also, if Apple's sales continue to increase at 30 to 40% a year, even a small catagory could mean a good number of sales.
  • Reply 166 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

the focus of ultraportable is the WEIGHT, not just the size.

wouldn't you rather have 13'' notebook that weighs in at 2.5lbs over 10'' notebook that weighs in at 2.5lbs (like Sony T series)?

Not at all. I would much rather have a 10 or 11 inch screen at 4 pounds than a 13 inch screen at 2.5 pounds. For me it's about space, not so much the weight. I miss the form factor of the PB 12" and I keep wanting to cut the edges off my MacBook to make it even smaller.

I'm not going to buy it unless it has a screen that's smaller than 12 inches and may switch to a Viao and LINUX if Mac doesn't produce something small enough.
  • Reply 167 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You won't see that offering if AI is right and it uses a 13" LCD. Which is really silly. Nobody makes a 13" ultraportable. It's almost an oxymoron. As others have noted in this thread, there are two main facets to portability: weight AND size. Even if someone could miraculously make a 17" 3.5 pound MacBook, it'd be too big to carry on a daily basis. I'm typing this at work on my 53-month-old 12" Powerbook G4. Like almost all 12" PB owners out there, I'd kill for something substantially lighter and even smaller. A widescreen 11" MB could be that dream machine.

Absolutely! An 11" MB would make my decade.
  • Reply 168 of 238
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Apple.. watch out!

Quote:

This is thin. Using flash memory in place of the standard hard-disk drive, Ziba and Intel have managed to make this laptop just 0.7 inches thick. The use of flash resulted in a side benefit: the laptop consumes less power and offers up to 14 hours of battery life. At 2.25 pounds, it's also among the lightest notebooks around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

When Intel commissioned Ziba, in Portland (Ore.), to design this laptop, it asked the design firm to develop a device that would be roughly comparable in thickness to Motorola's famed Razr phone, which won accolades for thinness. Motorola's just-unveiled Razr2 phone is thinner still: 0.46 inches when closed. But where the Razr only connects with cell-phone networks, this laptop can also access the Web via Wi-Fi and WiMax wireless-broadband connections.

Quote:

To convey the notion of premium jewelry, Ziba decided to use real metal-champagne-colored magnesium, to be exact-for the laptop case, rather than the standard plastic. The trim is gold-colored

Quote:

Unlike most notebooks, this laptop's screen isn't encased, photo-frame-like, in a plastic rim. Instead, the glass extends to the very edges, mimicking a look found in high-end flat-panel TVs. The screen contains light sensors, which adjust brightness automatically. It also features a built-in video camera.

Quote:

The typical notebook's surface has little dips and valleys for the keys and various buttons. This laptop is completely smooth except for a slight groove between the keys. The keys themselves are marked in a futuristic orange font, and they glow in the dark.

LINK.
  • Reply 169 of 238
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    ... is it just me or does that seem frighteningly similar to a thinner, gold MBP? Backlit lights with ambient light sensor... built in webcam... Sounds like they had their sights on Apple <_<

--Edit--

Sheesh, even looking back at the pictures, most of them even look like Apple's typical shots of their laptops o.o
  • Reply 170 of 238
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    that's really freaking nice. the colors of the inside are very beautiful.
  • Reply 171 of 238
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple.. watch out!

The definition of elegance in mobile computing? Perhaps not yet, but it makes the MBP design look really old school. I am curious to see if Apple can top that.
  • Reply 172 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

The definition of elegance in mobile computing? Perhaps not yet, but it makes the MBP design look really old school. I am curious to see if Apple can top that.

as i said, that's really freaking nice.
  • Reply 173 of 238
    Quote:

Apple has a big, and increasing, problem.

By turning their products into stylish object d-art, they now need to come out with new cases every year. this two to three year schedule just won't hack it any more.

Apple is not the only one who can hire top level designers.

Once they started this trend, they had to keep on top of it.

I hope that soon, we'll see some striking new designs.
  • Reply 174 of 238
    Quote:

By turning their products into stylish object d-art, they now need to come out with new cases every year. this two to three year schedule just won't hack it any more.

Apple is not the only one who can hire top level designers.

Once they started this trend, they had to keep on top of it.

I hope that soon, we'll see some striking new designs.

there'll probably be some hot new stylish computers from apple at wwdc.
  • Reply 175 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

there'll probably be some hot new stylish computers from apple at wwdc.

Of course, we don't know that. Let's hope that it's true.

Or, at least when they move to 45 nm later this year.

Which COULD be when Leopard comes out in October.

A good new combo.

New 64 bit OS, new generation chips, and new cases to commemorate it.
  • Reply 176 of 238
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

In the case of the Powerbook/Macbook Pro the current design is here for nearly four and a half years with minor tweaks. This is too long considering how fast the industry is moving roday.
  • Reply 177 of 238
    Quote:

In the case of the Powerbook/Macbook Pro the current design is here for nearly four and a half years with minor tweaks. This is too long considering how fast the industry is moving roday.

Damn! I forgot it was that long ago. I was thinking three.
  • Reply 178 of 238
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    My 12" PB says it was made 53 months ago.
  • Reply 179 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

My 12" PB says it was made 53 months ago.

about 4 and a half years D:
  • Reply 180 of 238
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    It really looks very similar to a MacBook Pro. As was noted before the camera is in the same place. Even the screen hinge mechanism seems to be the same.

Perhaps Apple did in fact contribute to this design (who knows what their relationship with Intel really includes?). Either way someone certainly took a really good look at MacBook Pros.

And the pressure is certainly on for Apple to produce a 'MacBook slim'!

It seems more and more likely that there won't be a sub-notebook from Apple any time soon. At least in the classic 'sub-notebook' sense. More likely a full-size, but extremely thin 'slim' model.