Keynote.app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    What do ya'll think about future upgrades? Will the jump tp keynote "2.0" be a paid upgrade? I aks becasue, at the moment, I don't *need* keynote, but it really looks like an app I should learn to use and am sure (in fact know), in the near future I will need this (I have PowerPoint X, but I would rather use Apple software).

I guess what I am asking, is this an iDVD type app (read: huge) or something where a "major" upgrade like a jump to v. 2.0 would only be like a 30-50 mb download?
  • Reply 22 of 83
    does it play movie and avi files?? i almost always have moving pictures in my presentations, usually avi files or QT files of ultrasound images...usually large files...3 secs of digital real time imaging is usually 10mb or so....with pp i can loop the image to play over and over as i point out or explain something in the image...can keynote do this?? if so, bye bye pp....g
  • Reply 23 of 83
    will there be a demo...i would love to play with keynote, even if apple did a one day license....g
  • Reply 24 of 83
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    Regarding Actions...

If you export the whole presentation as a PDF file, and import the PDF file into Adobe Acrobat (not reader, but the whole Acrobat program) I believe you can insert buttons and the rest of interactivity.

Not very many people use PDF to its fullest potential with Acrobat.

And hey... you don't have to have a mac to be able to see the presentation.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>I guess what I am asking, is this an iDVD type app (read: huge) or something where a "major" upgrade like a jump to v. 2.0 would only be like a 30-50 mb download?</strong><hr></blockquote>

iDVD is a for-pay thing due to MPEG/DVD content creation licenses. (You get this free if you buy hardware, but you have to pay a separate license if the software isn't bundled with hardware).

In any case, it's a $99 -&gt; yes. I'd expect an upgrade price of $40 or so for 2.0 on disk.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>does it play movie and avi files?? </strong><hr></blockquote>

It will play QT movies.

The QT inspector lets you

-select a poster frame

-select

play once

loop

loop back and forth

The build inspector lets you control how the movie appears. For example, you can have it scale up like a window appearing out of the dock. You can have this occur automatically or following a mouse click. In other words, the movie can play automatically when the slide appears or you can trigger the movie with a mouse click.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...give MS a month or two to add the transitions that Keynote has
  • Reply 28 of 83
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I played with Keynote at an Apple Store. I'm disapointed to say the least. The drawing tools in PowerPoint drive me crazy, they suck. Keynote solved that by leaving them out. For me Keynote is useless.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>I played with Keynote at an Apple Store. I'm disapointed to say the least. The drawing tools in PowerPoint drive me crazy, they suck. Keynote solved that by leaving them out. For me Keynote is useless.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What drawing tools do you need?

"You can draw basic rectangles, ellipses, triangles, arrows, and lines directly in Keynote."

Not complete perhaps, but I wouldn't calling that leaving them out.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    I haven't tested Keynote yet, but I can say that PowerPoint sucks! I have to do PowerPoint slides at work as many people have to do. Maybe PowerPoint has more features than in Keynote, but do we really need those all features? Most of the time with PowerPoint I spend searching right tool to do simple things what I want.

I need simple & fast tool for good looking simple slides and Keynote might be right solution.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Has anyone set up a website yet to serve as a community portal type site for those who wish to perfect their "Keynote" use? A place to grab themes and trade tips? I haven't spotted one yet.

ATTC

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: appletothecore ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 83
    As far as I'm concerned drawing tools are non issue with Keynote. Micorsoft doesn't have an application (except for Visio and that was purchased) that has decent drawing tools. Appleworks isn't bad for drawing simple stuff but there are plenty of good freeware, shareware and commercial drawing apps that would be better to use. Adding too many drawing tools to a presentation app just makes for bloat. Some classes of things you can do with a computer need dedicated software.

For instance Keynote could have video editing as well since it can use video in it's content just as it can drawings but we have iMovie, Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro for that.

Most presentations (and Director, Flash and web html projects) start with the raw componants (graphics, sound, etc.) and then are completed in the authoring app. As powerful as some of the tools are in Flash and Director (which I use every day) are, sometimes it's better to use Freehand or Photoshop instead. I think that will always be the case no matter how many revisions those apps go through.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    What would be real interesting is if Keynot could export the presentation as a mouse-clickable flash movie, so anyone with the flash player could play it.

Hmmm...
  • Reply 34 of 83
    apple, where is the one day, or one week, demo....i want to play!!! dang, i guess i could just buy the damn thing, but i like to see the new app somewhere first...g
  • Reply 35 of 83
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    thegelding, I got my demo. It's kinda large, 132MB.

Keynote is kinda fun, but I have nothing to do with it. Plus, you need a good amount of VRAM for it to be anything other than painful. 8MB VRAM minimum, in fact. I'm on an old iMac, so..
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Some keynote manuals for you all to look at, in PDF format, are here:

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=51960&amp;SaveKCWindowURL=http:% 2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePa ge&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com &showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false &sessionID=anonymous%7C161750449" target="_blank">manuals from Apple Support</a>
  • Reply 37 of 83
    bradbower...i want my large demo...damnit...and i'm on an iMac LCD so i figure it should run fine here....g
  • Reply 38 of 83
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    During the keynote, steve was enlarging text very easily. Was he doing this with key commands, a sliding text enlarger (ala Okito composer/Nisus) or was it with the text format window?
  • Reply 39 of 83
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by kcmac:

<strong>During the keynote, steve was enlarging text very easily. Was he doing this with key commands, a sliding text enlarger (ala Okito composer/Nisus) or was it with the text format window?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That was with the standard font panel in Cocoa apps. The font panel has an optional slider on the right side. He was using that in the demo.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    So it is the same font panel as used in Text Edit?

I really like the slider like in Okito composer better. You can make it any size. Don't have to click on font sizes.

Or am I missing something?