Keynote.app

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Oops. Just found out something new. Did not know that under options in the font panel you can activate the sliding panel.

2 years with X. Can't believe I didn't know that.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    [quote]Originally posted by kcmac:

<strong>Oops. Just found out something new. Did not know that under options in the font panel you can activate the sliding panel.

2 years with X. Can't believe I didn't know that. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Wait, how do I slide re-size the text within Keynote?
  • Reply 43 of 83
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    Put the cursor in the text, presse ctrl-a (or select all, or set the cursor at one end and drag to the other) and then use the slider.

Just like you would in any other text document.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>

Wait, how do I slide re-size the text within Keynote?</strong><hr></blockquote>

In the fonts panel (command-t I think), choose Edit Sizes from the pop-up at the bottom of the panel. choose whether you want a fixed list, a slider or list & slider. Try out a few things in those pop-up choices too.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>Wait, how do I slide re-size the text within Keynote?</strong><hr></blockquote>Simple.

Select this menu:

edit: Bah! BuonRotto beat me to it.

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Does Keynote have a slide show loop feature? Kiosk mode, etc.

That is one feature that is nice in pp. Can just let the show repeat itself over and over?
  • Reply 48 of 83
    Wow!

Just got back from a friends place. He has keynote! Didn't get to use it long, will hopefully go back over tonite!

It is really incredible. During the Keynote, Steve kept saying, look at the textures, look at the text. I know why now. They look spectacular. The themes are nice. My favorite is Letterpress.

The cross hair feature to line up pictures and text is something that makes it very simple to layout the page. It is extremely easy to line up and resize multiple pictures and text boxes on the same slide by just clicking and dragging. You can look at the pixels (width, height) of each image or box as you do it so that you can be extremely precise.

We were using a 400 DVSE imac and it was fairly robust. The program is however, very graphics intense and we froze the machine several times during playback. I would have to believe that better video chips would help out as well as a faster processor and a G4.

The inspector makes very quick work of managing everything about each slide.

Converting to PDF is very good. They are very large. A simple slide or two takes it to over 3MB.

He showed me a PP he had imported. It did very well. He had a couple of weird transitions that didn't come through so it is not perfect.

Importing images is different than in PP. In PP, you go to Insert on the menubar. In Keynote, you have to drag and drop the images you want into the slide. This is simple enough since Keynote does not require the whole screen to work and you can just keep your pictures folder open.

The transitions are very smooth on the G3. They are beautiful. My favorite is the flip.

Text is also way ahead of PP. Being able to adjust to any size and use the slider bar feature is nice.

I think it is quite possible to think of Keynote as also being a good page layout program.

I hope I can talk my boss into springing for this app. I also hope that the program to reduce the size of PDF's works as it is easy to imagine that a 30 slide presentation or so will be very large.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

What drawing tools do you need?

"You can draw basic rectangles, ellipses, triangles, arrows, and lines directly in Keynote."

Not complete perhaps, but I wouldn't calling that leaving them out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

From my use they seemed very lacking.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    I have been trying to make a simple theme, but I have to run for a while.

If anyone wants to play with it, you should find it here:

<a href="http://members.shaw.ca/nosemonger/Urban.kth.sit"; target="_blank">http://members.shaw.ca/nosemonger/Urban.kth.sit</a>;

It is around 7M... I haven't had time to tweak the size down any.

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: nosey ]</p>
  • Reply 51 of 83
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

From my use they seemed very lacking.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then use OmniGraffle. Or something else. Robust image import is a big plus for Keynote, and let's you use the external tool that is *just* right for your task instead of trying to fulfill everyone's needs inadequately (ala PowerPoint).

I use OG because for my type of diagramming it just kicks donkey.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    Just got it!

very easy to use.

great graphics, transparency kicks a$$,

but few things are missing for me:

1. Time controll,

2. You can't rotate text.

in overal, very simple great looking app.

l8tr all
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Rotate text by throwing it onto the canvas and click through until tiny box-shapes show up on left and right sides of the text box. Go to Inspector and click on the third panel (the one with a ruler on it). Rotate the keen little nob near the bottom of the box and you can rotate your text just fine.

ATTC

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: appletothecore ]</p>
  • Reply 54 of 83
    You can also do it by pressing the command key and clicking on your mouse on the sides of the text box.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Hey,

You are correct, i tried to rotate one of these 'pre-defined' text boxes (from master slides). And guess what, you can't rotate them, but you can rotate user-created text box.

Thanks
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Keynote serves as a nifty quasi-drawing app! I've been patching together slidesand busting them out as pdf exports and dropping them into Word docs. It gets better and better. The opacity doesn't come across though as far as I can tell. This pummels PP all silly.

ATTC

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: appletothecore ]</p>
  • Reply 57 of 83
    well i think keynote is pretty cool

i used to make slide with latex

now its much easier

but i've got a few things:

- the themes are stylish but not my way for presentation. i like bright and white mac-like styles

are there already some on the net ?

- i would like to include an text and image on every slide.

i couldn't get there. apply to master slide didn't work.

- i woul like to get some other information on every slide. like page number or section, subsection number etc

- is the dtd of the xml format published yet ?

then you could write some utils on your own.

matt
  • Reply 58 of 83
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

Then use OmniGraffle. Or something else. Robust image import is a big plus for Keynote, and let's you use the external tool that is *just* right for your task instead of trying to fulfill everyone's needs inadequately (ala PowerPoint).

I use OG because for my type of diagramming it just kicks donkey.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Amen brotha! I haven't tried importing between apps like this yet...
  • Reply 59 of 83
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>

Amen brotha! I haven't tried importing between apps like this yet...</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's as easy as copying and pasting from OmniGraffle to Keynote. Transparency is preserved in the process too.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    You know what is begging for integration?

OmniOutliner and Keynote!

The burden is probably on Omni, but with the (supposedly open, XML-based) file format of Keynote, a new "export" option from OmniOutliner to Keynote cannot be far off.

Cooler still would be a drag and drop solution (i.e., I cab drag an OmniOutliner document into Keynote and it become a presentation (or is added to the current presentation). This seems like the least likely scenario of the two.

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: Chris Cuilla ]</p>