Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

There are still some people who do not believe that Wiki is the New God. Indeed, it is very, very often a collection of false gods indeed.

Sure. But the computing stuff is nearly always right. It is edited by geeks, after all.

In this instance you look up form-factor, and find an answer to the question "what does form-factor mean in the context of computing?", and it's obvious that on this occasion the information is accurate.
  • Reply 62 of 124
    The MB's were available by about 12.30pm in the UK after the store went down, how does that tally with US times? probably just right for people waking up early and businesses etc...

might be the same this time round?
  • Reply 63 of 124
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    1440x900 is extremely disappointing. The industry standard for 15.4" laptops is now 1680x1050. Since the hardware specification would have been finalized before Leopard was delayed, it is most surprising that Apple would not have chosen higher resolution to go with the expected resolution independence. I sincerely hope that the 1440x900 rumor is wrong. I won't buy one with a 1440x900 display.
  • Reply 64 of 124
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

bum barm

No higher res display option

No eSATA

Still only 2 USB ports.

no thanks, call me when you make a "PRO" model!

I am a pro user and I use a MBP that I bought two months ago. It is a pro model.

The machine and the apps are the stepping stones; how they are used makes or breaks it.
  • Reply 65 of 124
    oxidoxid Posts: 19member
    Quote:

1440x900 is extremely disappointing. The industry standard for 15.4" laptops is now 1680x1050. Since the hardware specification would have been finalized before Leopard was delayed, it is most surprising that Apple would not have chosen higher resolution to go with the expected resolution independence. I sincerely hope that the 1440x900 rumor is wrong. I won't buy one with a 1440x900 display.

I hope the same!, asus G1S has 1680x1050 so if apple wants top line laptop they have to keep up!
  • Reply 66 of 124
    dell has had a 15" 1680x1050 laptop out for ages...and its not even their top of the line model...the resolution is the one area MBPs fall over on, they're good but could be better by that margin imo (and other's)
  • Reply 67 of 124
    digiologydigiology Posts: 29member
    Are we going to see flash or hybrid hard drives anytime soon? I really want to hold out for either of these for the speed and batter life.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    With the resolution independence of Leopard around the corner, I'd rather have 1920x1200, but I would buy a 15" MBP with 1680x1050. 1440x900 is not at all interesting for me.
  • Reply 69 of 124
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

dunno, was down a reasonable amount of time for the MB updates...give it till lunch I guess (2-3hrs). you'd have thought they'd prepare the webpages off-line then just shut the store momentarily as they swap the necessary pages over and quickly test all the buttons work etc...shouldn't take too long. somethink like that would take me maybe an hour? to be certain, and assuming they've got a team of people on it then I'd say less - but lets not forget international synchronisation, they want people from uk/us/france/mongolia etc to all get the page when its ready, so to ensure its ALL smooth I think thats where the time taken comes in...

The down time builds a "buzz" on the internet as we speculate on what will be released. It is disappointing though to see Mac updates receiving so little attention from Steve's speeches this year.
  • Reply 70 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiology View Post

Are we going to see flash or hybrid hard drives anytime soon? I really want to hold out for either of these for the speed and batter life.

Something like this would be introduced at a special presentation (WWDC would count). Steve would be on stage making a big to do about it.
  • Reply 71 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

The down time builds a "buzz" on the internet as we speculate on what will be released. It is disappointing though to see Mac updates receiving so little attention from Steve's speeches this year.

maybe there's not a lot to shout about...?
  • Reply 72 of 124
    would be funny if its an ipod update ..
  • Reply 73 of 124
    With WWDC just around the corner, they need to get an update of their Macs out, then they canintro a new sub mini portable tablet with tri-3GHz CPUs and a 200GB flash drive for $599.

Just kidding.

MBPs for sure.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

1440x900 is extremely disappointing. The industry standard for 15.4" laptops is now 1680x1050.

Bull.

There's a gazillion laptops out there with 1280x800 15.4 inch screens. Dell's Inspiron 6400's are 1280x800 or 1440x900 if you pay more (no 1680x1050 upgrade).

The pricier Lattitude 830s have 1280x800, 1680x1050 or a eye watering 1920x1200.

Yes, you can get a 1680x1050 but it's far from being an 'industry standard' whatever that means.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

With WWDC just around the corner, they need to get an update of their Macs out, then they canintro a new sub mini portable tablet with tri-3GHz CPUs and a 200GB flash drive for $599.

Just kidding.

MBPs for sure.

That'd be so funny though in light of the Apple guys joining Palm. A Multitouch tablet/keyboard Foleo with full OSX. Right back at ya Hawkins.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    bearxorbearxor Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by googleplex View Post

Nothing on the dedicated H.264 chip then? That would have been a nice boost for AppleTV owners.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/09/...-chip-to-macs/

I mentioned this in another mbp rumor thread. I remembered the rumor of a h264 decoding chip and used it as the basis to suggest Apple would be switching to a Geforce 8500 or 8600. Either of those chips completely decode h264 and offload the entire process from the CPU. Looks like I got that one right.
  • Reply 77 of 124
    scharf_10scharf_10 Posts: 10member
    The first Apple Computer went on sale 30 years ago today. Could that mean anything do you think?
  • Reply 78 of 124
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

I mentioned this in another mbp rumor thread. I remembered the rumor of a h264 decoding chip and used it as the basis to suggest Apple would be switching to a Geforce 8500 or 8600. Either of those chips completely decode h264 and offload the entire process from the CPU. Looks like I got that one right.

The new ATi GPUs do that too. In fact, the ATi x1600 does it (both H.264 encode and decode). But of course, you can't just pop in a GPU and it'll magically do all the work for you. You have to write the drivers. And Apple didn't bother. Which I find very disappointing.
  • Reply 79 of 124
    thx 1138thx 1138 Posts: 16member
    every 5 seconds, for the Apple Store.

The internet is going to crash.

• Reply 80 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scharf_10 View Post

The first Apple Computer went on sale 30 years ago today. Could that mean anything do you think?

Don't start me dreaming about a 30th anniversary Mac.... I want two.