Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    My order is in.

Took a few minutes longer than it should have. Kept going back to see if I read the specs right after reading some of the dissidents' postings (even after the store was open) which appears that they didn't or can't read at all.

It would be nice that before you idiots take a crap, to do a little due diligence first.
  • Reply 102 of 124
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I'll wait for better screen resolution. Presumably that would happen with the next speed bump and the availability of Leopard.
  • Reply 103 of 124
    oxidoxid Posts: 19member
    Is it useful to go for the 256mb Vram?
  • Reply 104 of 124
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Innova View Post

sweet there it is...hmmmm led, might have to buy one now

Excellent.

You guys roadtest the 1.0 version of the LED backlight, and I'll upgrade much later in the year.

Thanks.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Excellent.

You guys roadtest the 1.0 version of the LED backlight, and I'll upgrade much later in the year.

Thanks.

Hands up those who've ever seen a LED fail!

(Except due to abuse of course!)
  • Reply 106 of 124
    chrleonchrleon Posts: 6member
    is 800mhz FSB and 4GB ram = santa rosa chipset?
  • Reply 107 of 124
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Traffic lights fail all the time.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrleon View Post

is 800mhz FSB and 4GB ram = santa rosa chipset?

Yes. And also the 2.2ghz and 2.4Ghz main CPU speeds.
  • Reply 109 of 124
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Just had an LED flashlight fail.
  • Reply 110 of 124
    chrleonchrleon Posts: 6member
    Hmmm. I'm on the verge of buying now. Have my creditcard almost ready, but then I came to think of the 8-bit vs 6-bit display case a few weeks ago. Is there a way to know if this is a 6-bit or 8-bit display? I work in Graphic Design so i don't like the idea of a 6 bit display..
  • Reply 111 of 124
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

My order is in.

Took a few minutes longer than it should have. Kept going back to see if I read the specs right after reading some of the dissidents' postings (even after the store was open) which appears that they didn't or can't read at all.

It would be nice that before you idiots take a crap, to do a little due diligence first.

Take another look at the store info...

No mention of LEDs here:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ok/macbook_pro

Nor here, even under more info:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...wp9joSG/2.?p=0

Guess some people can read better than you think. Guess Apple considers the LED screen just a standard screen (now that otehr manufacturers have been using them for some time).

Apple's hardware page does show that the screen is LED, but it was not up for a few minutes.

Specs now say up to 6 hours battery life, which I think is a slight jump (if I remember correctly). Will be intertesting to see the impact of the LEDs on performance.
  • Reply 112 of 124
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Take another look at the store info...

No mention of LEDs here:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ok/macbook_pro

Nor here, even under more info:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...wp9joSG/2.?p=0

Guess some people can read better than you think. Guess Apple considers the LED screen just a standard screen (now that otehr manufacturers have been using them for some time).

Apple's hardware page does show that the screen is LED, but it was not up for a few minutes.

Specs now say up to 6 hours battery life, which I think is a slight jump (if I remember correctly). Will be intertesting to see the impact of the LEDs on performance.

Configured with the 7200 RPM hard drive it said 4-6 weeks for delivery... What the heck?
  • Reply 113 of 124
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrleon View Post

Hmmm. I'm on the verge of buying now. Have my creditcard almost ready, but then I came to think of the 8-bit vs 6-bit display case a few weeks ago. Is there a way to know if this is a 6-bit or 8-bit display? I work in Graphic Design so i don't like the idea of a 6 bit display..

The "Pro's" have 8 bit displays.
  • Reply 114 of 124
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Are you sure? I'm not. Apple's spec page just says "support for millions of colors", which leads me to believe that they're 6 bit displays. In fact, I'm not sure there are any laptops with 8 bit displays.
  • Reply 115 of 124
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

DDR2 800 was cut as a feature from Santa Rosa last-minute. The FSB is still bumped to 800 MHz, however.

Well that kinda sucks. I wonder how much of a performance hit it took (though i'm sure not a ton).

I am also very excited apple went with NVidia on this one. ATI's mobile cards aren't the greatest right now. NVidia has been doing a great job with their mobile line up lately. Apple get a pat on the back for that one.

I'm wondering if I should sell my 2.33 and pick one up. I doubt there would be a huge gain in anything besides graphics power. I wonder if it would be worth it.
  • Reply 116 of 124
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

My MacBook Pro has a 6-bit display. I've checked.
  • Reply 117 of 124
    Quote:

My 12.1" PowerBook has a colour depth of 32 bits, does that make it 8 bits (undithered) per colour?
  • Reply 118 of 124
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

My 12.1" PowerBook has a colour depth of 32 bits

No, it doesn't. There is no such thing as 32-bit color with a display. There can be internally when you count an alpha channel, or a gamma channel, or something else not directly related to a primary color, or there can be for printers, but not with a screen.

The number you cite won't let us help you determine what kind of display you have.
  • Reply 119 of 124
    Quote:

No, it doesn't. There is no such thing as 32-bit color with a display. There can be internally when you count an alpha channel, or a gamma channel, or something else not directly related to a primary color, or there can be for printers, but not with a screen.

The number you cite won't let us help you determine what kind of display you have.

I was quoting the information returned by the system profiler, what else should I rely on? OK, perhaps it was refering to the capability of the graphics card only but if so, where do we find information on the screen's true bit depth?
  • Reply 120 of 124
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

My MacBook Pro has a 6-bit display. I've checked.

Are you really sure about that?

Because the suit against Apple about the 6 bit displayas in the MacBook models also states that the Pro models have 8 bit displays. I read that somewhere else as well.