Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 41 of 280
    yeah, I'm thinking of getting a firewire 800 external and using that as a complimentary/backup. ram prices a joke as ever better to get crucial or someone like that. but crucial fix prices depending on where you've been surfing so...kingston? corsair?

prices of the machines have actually fallen though, compared to the last rev.

and no freakin' free iPods in the UK...?!!
  • Reply 42 of 280
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    Hopefully it isn't really a 4-6 week delay for the 160-7200 drive on the 15". There is no delay if you configure that option on the 17". I'm wondering if the orders came in quick on the 15" and they raised the wait, or was it like that right when it was released?
  • Reply 43 of 280
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    With Apple coming out with the MBPs today (as expected), is the iMac now the mostly likely model to get attention at WWDC next week?

I've got my fingers crossed for Apple TV -- TA DA! the plasma version! -- but it's probably early yet for that one with Apple TV still just a toddler. (Or is this the direction the iMac is headed?)

Also, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Apple announce a ship date for Leopard that's a bit earlier than they've previously indicated.

Thoughts on WWDC?
  • Reply 44 of 280
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I was thinking the same. Here in the UK it's a £300 difference inc VAT. The extra 40GB upgrade costs £50inc. If you're not running large dual monitors then there's little point in paying the extra £300.

I'm a little dissapointed that laptop hard disk sizes hasn't progressed as fast as it might this past year. 120GB isn't a lot these days. There's 200/250GB drives at Apple but they're 4200rpm. Hitachi/Tosh/Samsung have 5400rpm drives out now.

Maybe I'll put the £300 to a NAS/Mini/Drobo.

Seagate 2.5, 160 gig Hard Disk (7200) is cheap and on the market
  • Reply 45 of 280
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

Correction:

The 8600 does not offload VC-1. It's wired for h264 decoding only.

Is that specific to the Mac model or the chip model? Nvidia say it does all these:

"Hardware Decode Acceleration: Provides ultra-smooth playback of H.264, VC-1, WMV and MPEG-2 HD and SD movies."

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8M_fbs.html
  • Reply 46 of 280
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

Any idea why selecting a glossy display knocks down the price $150?? And it's $135 off if combined with the education price, resulting in a crazy discount:

I am very curious about this as well. I guess you should order now while the promotional "discount" is available.

The glossy display would still have the LED behind it, I would hope. This might be reason for a price discrepancy. You can always call or chat with the Apple Store sales team. . . .
  • Reply 47 of 280
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

i like the specs...

but i still abhor the placement of the hard drive. this is a pro laptop, make it so it is at minimum easy to change out like 99% of the others out there. One shouldn't have to remove .everything. just to change the HD.

Hear! Hear! (Or is it Here! Here!) And what's even more amazingly idiotic is that the cheaper consumer laptop you can just pop it right out. But Apple has always been more about design/look then usefulness.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gostan View Post

In fact, I placed my order at for a 2.4 15 incher at 9:02 AM (edt) this morning with expedited shipping. It is expected to ship between June 6 -8 and to be delivered between June 8-13.

I'm sorry, but that's expediated shipping???
  • Reply 48 of 280
    jamiecjamiec Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

Any idea why selecting a glossy display knocks down the price $150?? And it's $135 off if combined with the education price, resulting in a crazy discount:

Sadly, it looks like once you go to check out the correct (higher) price is listed on the confirmation page.
  • Reply 49 of 280
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

cheeky f*ckers...they've wacked in two 1Gb Ram modules rather than one 2Gb module. so any upgrade to 4Gb will mean ditching those 1Gb's...great. bit of a waste huh.

One 2GB module would be more expensive than 2 1GB modules plus it'd probably be slower as well as pairing up modules usually leads to faster RAM access.

A quick look at crucial puts 2GB modules at £135 and 1GB at £27.

Apple charge £480 here for upgrading to 4GB (2x2GB). Crucial charge £270 plus you can probably eBay your stock 2GB for £40-50.
  • Reply 50 of 280
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamiec View Post

Sadly, it looks like once you go to check out the correct (higher) price is listed on the confirmation page.

oh darn....
  • Reply 51 of 280
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Excellent! This is what will end up replacing my pismo in a few months.
  • Reply 52 of 280
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Top of the line 15.4" specs, old/new:

2.33 GHz to 2.4 GHz

667 MHz FSB to 800 MHz

3GB RAM max to 4GB

120GB HD to 160GB (160GB 7200 rpm option!)

6x SuperDrive to 8x

Radeon X1600 to GeForce 8600M GT (great upgrade!)

CCFL backlight to LED

5.6 lbs. to 5.4 (3.2 oz. lighter!)

5 hr. max batt life to 6 hrs.

Very good upgrade!

Agree! 20% more battery life significant. Sony's 2.33 SZ only gets up to 4 hours and its smaller.
  • Reply 53 of 280
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

So now we've got the MacBooks, MacBook Pros all set, and iPhone set for later this month, so what will we see at WWDC: iMacs!!! Why would they go this long without an upgrade to the iMac if it was just going to be a boring incremental bump? They would've done that now as welll... no?

iMac upgrade suspicions + Leopard coverage + secret features + Developer's Conference = Stellar Advancements

I imagine a new Leopard UI and Apple asking/helping developers to get cracking on coding for a lot of Core Animation/MultiTouch goodness.

Timing would be perfect, would it not?

Only problem would be that the new iMacs would be announced 3-4 months in advance (if they need Leopard for all the cool stuff). Apple would either have to launch Leopard early or give some sort of coupon for those who purchase the new iMac to get Leopard discounted later and let them use MultiTouch in Tiger (sparingly, I would imagine) in the meantime. I think this is why it was a tough call to delay Leopard - a WWDC launch of new iMacs and Leopard would have been perfect.
  • Reply 54 of 280
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Agree! 20% more battery life significant. Sony's 2.33 SZ only gets up to 4 hours and its smaller.

I wonder how much of the improvement is down to LED screens and how much is Santa Rosa's improved power handling. The Sony at 2.33 will be on the old pre-SR chipset.
  • Reply 55 of 280
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Yep. Why not just add a quarter inch of height and a couple of ounces and voila?

Is that why the MacBook is thicker and heavier than the MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 56 of 280
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Hardware decoding of H264, VC-1 (don't know if the X1600 did this). 50% faster in benchmarks than the X1600.

Yes, the x1600 does do this. I'm hoping that Apple will update QuickTime in Leopard to support offloading of H.264 to the GPU on all their hardware that supports it.
  • Reply 57 of 280
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple's not the only company not interested in "Turbo Memory" (Robson)

HP Shuns Turbo Memory

Nice upgrade overall. I love the higher base ram and 86xx series GPU. The 2k 15" MBP sounds like the best deal to me.
  • Reply 58 of 280
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Hear! Hear! (Or is it Here! Here!)

Hear! Hear!
  • Reply 59 of 280
    bearxorbearxor Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Is that specific to the Mac model or the chip model? Nvidia say it does all these:

"Hardware Decode Acceleration: Provides ultra-smooth playback of H.264, VC-1, WMV and MPEG-2 HD and SD movies."

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8M_fbs.html

I perhaps should have been more specific. It does help accelerate all of that. But it does not compltely off-load VC1 from the CPU. It only helps. It does, however, completely offload h264 from the CPU.

It's an awesome chip though. Bought a 8500 for my Vista MCE and it's doing a great job as video output with HDCP via a DVI -> HDMI adapter.
  • Reply 60 of 280
    giaotzegiaotze Posts: 3member
    Do you guys think there will be another HW refresh when the Leopard comes up in October?