Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 101 of 280
    rickr10rickr10 Posts: 40member
    I just ordered one. I've waited months for this. My other laptop was only a year old but I couldn't give up the temptation

Where are most people buying them from? I know many places like Amazon, etc. don't get them this fast. I have a Apple Business Agent I deal with. Since you buy directly from the store through them you get them fast through the Apple store. How many others use Apple Business Agents on here? What I like about this Agent is if you contact him first before ordering often he can throw something in extra for free. Sometimes it's been things such as software such as Parallels, books on Mac OS X, even in one case extra memory. I just negotiate every purchase before I order. What are other people's experience with Apple Business Agents on here? If you are interested I use his store at www.avcconsulting.info/applestore. His web site is www.avcconsulting.info and I think his email is [email protected]
  • Reply 102 of 280
    posnerposner Posts: 13member
    About a yr ago the HD (5400) on my 12" pbg4 died and I replaced with 7200. The difference in speed for basic daily use (MS Office; some stats; safari; mail) really surprised me. Battery life probably takes a small hit, but the much-discussed "snappiness" was well worth it. Together with a recent RAM upgrade to 1.25GB makes me think I might hold out until the likely Jan08 upgrades.
  • Reply 103 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

The 15 goes from 5 to 6 hrs. battery life. Very good upgrade overall. Not good if you already have a recent C2D 'Book but fantastic if you're upgrading from a PB G4!

That would be me.

The battery life on my PB G4 is down to about 60 minutes, even after replacing the battery about 2 years ago.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first eyewitness testimonies about the LED display performance AND battery life.
  • Reply 104 of 280
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi View Post

Engadget is saying that these aren't santa rosa based laptops

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/m...t-macbook-pro/

No they aren't. They are pointing out that MACBOOKS, not MBPs, are on the old Napa platform. New MBPs are using SR.
  • Reply 105 of 280
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/m...t-macbook-pro/

Well, they obviously spoke to someone at Apple who either doesn't know what the hell they're talking about, or was being a little bit too accurate.

Santa-Rosa is the codename of the latest Centrino Platform. Apple doesn't use the Centrino Platform, and therefore strictly speaking, the MBP is not a Santa Rosa machine. However, these new MBPs have 800 MHz FSB and support for 4 GB of RAM, which is only available with the laptop motherboard chipset (Intel Mobile 965 Express, codenamed Crestline) that forms the basis of the Santa-Rosa Platform.

Edit: Oops, backtomac is right.

I still hate the MacBook name. At least with iBook and PowerBook you didn't have this potential for confusion.
  • Reply 106 of 280
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

So now we've got the MacBooks, MacBook Pros all set, and iPhone set for later this month, so what will we see at WWDC: iMacs!!! Why would they go this long without an upgrade to the iMac if it was just going to be a boring incremental bump? They would've done that now as welll... no?

Jeez, I hope so... and if they do, I'm hoping it'll be the new multi-touch iMac. I'd loooove dat.
  • Reply 107 of 280
    eatapceatapc Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

The MacBook Pro is supposed to be a pro laptop after all. There are other LED screens which can cover over 100% of NTSC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

I take it 45% of something is not good - or in this case is it?

Are we talking a percentage of visible gamut, RGB gamut or NTSC gamut? If it is 45% of NTSC gamut, does anyone have a link for that fact?
  • Reply 108 of 280
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Just the other day everyone was bitching about how they need to put anything but the 1600 in the macbook pros. Today when they replace them, everyone is bitching about something else.

Someone needs a bitch-slapping!
  • Reply 109 of 280
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Sorry danielsmi, but you better read that again!
  • Reply 110 of 280
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

I call PR BULLSHIT! Nothing is one-inch thin. That's like Willard Goddamn Scott trying to tell everyone old people are 100-years young.

It's just marketing-ese, and fairly innocuous marketing-ese at that.

Certainly not as bad as "pre-owned cars".

• Reply 111 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You aren't going to be doing any serious HD editing without an external FW800 drive.

Oh, I agree -- I'd mainly be doing DV editing. I just meant HD playback, not editing. For any HD editing I'd be using my external.
  • Reply 112 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Sorry danielsmi, but you better read that again!

I think that it would be prudent if we all took the time to get our facts right before we jump. In particular, it seems that the more the comment is bitching or negative in nature, i.e., dissing what Apple is supposed to be doing or is doing, the more the information is wrongly stated and/or supported.

And if you are wrong, wouldn't it be better to admit it so we don't get a continuation of the bull shit.
  • Reply 113 of 280
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

He's not arguing that its not a bad update compared to the previous specs, just that there's nothing to the update to warrant upgrading his MacBook.

For example, a 15" MacBook at $1300 would be something.

Yeah, it would be. Even at $1500 (the 'black MacBook' price level), it would be huge, as

1) the current black MB is so very not worth it, aka 'margins hog', and

2) there's well-equipped 15" PC notebooks going for $1200-1300 or so (and not-so-well equipped ones for around $1K).

Apple doesn't have to match prices, certainly, because they offer more overall, even against well-equipped PC notebooks, but they DO have to remain within shouting distance if they really want to clean up to their full potential.

Sure, their notebook sales are good, but they could be even better. Asking $2000 to step up to a 15" notebook is just too wide a price delta over the competition. But a black 15" MB for $1500 would absolutely kill.

It'd be nice if Apple got more aggressive here, but I think it'll be a long time before they do. When things are going well, the tendency is to 'stay the course' and point out how well things are going, not to explore how much better things can be.

• Reply 114 of 280
    bigfootbigfoot Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Is this the same Samsung 1440x900 LED backlit panel that only shows 45% of the NTSC color gamut?

http://aving.net/usa/news/default.as...de=02&SP_Num=0

Yes those are the LED displays.

They are white LED, so no benefit for hardware color correction (like RGB LED)

and they are 6-bits 262K colors, no millions (class action against Apple last month for

false advertising \ )

There is some benefit for power savings, but nothig really pro about them...

I'm going to buy new Macbook Pro anyway
  • Reply 115 of 280
    getluvgetluv Posts: 7member
    the top-line 15" does it for me.
  • Reply 116 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickr10 View Post

I just ordered one.

Same here. Glad I waited for my wife to open her email this morning though. She just got an announcement from her company that offered employee discounts on Apple products. Even had a link to the Apple store, but included the discount in the summary. Savings just about paid for the AppleCare.

Great day all around.
  • Reply 117 of 280
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    15" MacBook for $1599 would be cool for WWDC!
  • Reply 118 of 280
    bderwestbderwest Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

The 15 goes from 5 to 6 hrs. battery life. Very good upgrade overall. Not good if you already have a recent C2D 'Book but fantastic if you're upgrading from a PB G4!

Nice to finally see a 7200 rpm HD option! Of course, that delays it 4 to 6 weeks.

Well, they say it was 5 hours of batt life, but if you're running wireless, and the speakers are on, and bluetooth is on, that number drops dramatically.

It's even worse if you're like me and dump all your iTunes media onto an Airdisk. Try watching a movie that way, with the wireless and speakers and CPU chugging away. Not nearly 5 hours then.
  • Reply 119 of 280
    mdmendozmdmendoz Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by posner View Post

About a yr ago the HD (5400) on my 12" pbg4 died and I replaced with 7200. The difference in speed for basic daily use (MS Office; some stats; safari; mail) really surprised me. Battery life probably takes a small hit, but the much-discussed "snappiness" was well worth it. Together with a recent RAM upgrade to 1.25GB makes me think I might hold out until the likely Jan08 upgrades.

I just placed my order for the MacBook Pro with 160GB 7200rpm HD -- indeed it ships "4-6 weeks". Is this accurate? What are the chances that it will be <4 weeks? (Or said another way, what are the chances it will be >6 weeks?)

This computer marks my official switch back to Apple. Whoohoo! My last Apple was a PowerBook 5300c. I still have it. Talk about thickness...1" (even rounded down) is going to feel like a feather compared to that computer!
  • Reply 120 of 280
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

The MacBook Pro is supposed to be a pro laptop after all. There are other LED screens which can cover over 100% of NTSC.

Yes, but are these LED screens thin enough to go into a laptop? My MBP C2D 15" has a gamut noticeably smaller than sRGB, could be 50%, hard to judge (I think NTSC is close to sRGB).