Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 81 of 280
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Let's see some stats on this, because Windows laptop makers are schooling Apple on weight.

No they aren't.

Let's see the lighter PC laptops that have the full-power Core 2 Duo processor, support for 4 GB RAM, 15.4" widescreens with at least 1440 x 900 resolution, optical audio I/O, dual-link DVI video out, 8600M or equivalent GPU, ExpressCard slot, built-in 8x dual-layer DVD burner and up to 6 hours battery life without the use of a secondary battery.
  • Reply 82 of 280
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Ummm... 1 inchin thin is nothing. Where is the lightweight part? Let's see some stats on this, because Windows laptop makers are schooling Apple on weight.

Because the MacBook Pro models are the lightest in their display class!

Quote:

BTW - this looks just like an Apple press release - not a real analytical look at the new offerings. Cut and paste is not cool, dudes.

Because a lot of people don't or didn't bother to go to the Apple site and look for themselves and to do an analysis one would have to have the item in hand.

Based on some of the erroneous postings here, there are enough horses asses giving their professional opinions already.
  • Reply 83 of 280
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

15.4-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1440-by-900 LCD display

Is this the same Samsung 1440x900 LED backlit panel that only shows 45% of the NTSC color gamut?

http://aving.net/usa/news/default.as...de=02&SP_Num=0
  • Reply 84 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That I'm not sure why you are convinced that making the hard drive easier to to remove would make the device any thicker or heavier.

If you ever opened a Titanium to a MacBook Pro and compared it to a Dell (or any other laptop, etc.,) you'll see that the former(s) fits like a golfer's glove. The latter(s) like a catcher's mitt.
  • Reply 85 of 280
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Is this the same Samsung 1440x900 LED backlit panel that only shows 45% of the NTSC color gamut?

I think that's still a little better than the previous model, isn't it? I thought the previous model had something like 39% NTSC gamut.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

No they aren't.

Let's see the lighter PC laptops that have the full-power Core 2 Duo processor, support for 4 GB RAM, 15.4" widescreens with at least 1440 x 900 resolution, optical audio I/O, dual-link DVI video out, 8600M or equivalent GPU, ExpressCard slot, built-in 8x dual-layer DVD burner and up to 6 hours battery life without the use of a secondary battery.

That still doesn't mean that Apple is participating in the ultralight class. If power is the priority, then Apple's notebook is fine, but not everyone needs that power, and prefer to prioritize on weight first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

From a post I made earlier in a different thread:

You are correct to note that FSB and memory bus speed don't need to be tightly coupled.

The width of the memory bus in the G5 is twice as wide as the FSB, so the actual transfer rate wasn't as disparate as the numbers would suggest.
  • Reply 86 of 280
    Quote:

And what % of the NTSC color gamut did the old displays (or the 17" MBP display) achieve? This is presumably a function of the number of bits per pixel as well as backlight technology. The old screens were 6 bits and the new ones are probably 6 bits too.
  • Reply 87 of 280
    Quote:

I take it 45% of something is not good - or in this case is it?
  • Reply 88 of 280
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

If you ever opened a Titanium to a MacBook Pro and compared it to a Dell, etc., or any other laptop you'll see that the former(s) fits like a golfer's glove. The latter like a catcher's mitt.

But the problem with that argument is that Apple is doing the same feature just fine in a more compact device.
  • Reply 89 of 280
    vocarovocaro Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Honestly, unless you have old equipment or want the high res 17", I fail to see the excitement. The speeds are barely improved.

Ah, but there's more to speed than the CPU. Nobody seems to have noticed that the MacBook Pros now have large (160GB) 7200 RPM hard drives available as an option. This is exciting news to me: CPU speeds are so fast, and RAM large enough, that the real bottleneck in my system is the hard drive! Whenever my system slows down, I always know it's because of the 5400 RPM hard drive because I can hear the read/write head clicking back and forth. Having a MacBook Pro with this faster hard drive should provide more of a performance improvement than any CPU speedup could offer.
  • Reply 90 of 280
    Quote:

That still doesn't mean that Apple is participating in the ultralight class. If power is the priority, then Apple's notebook is fine, but not everyone needs that power, and prefer to prioritize on weight first.

Sure, I appreciate that. I hope that Apple are working on an ultra-portable. Maybe we'll even see one at WWDC.

However, I do get tired of people saying the MBP is "too heavy" or some such. That's a rediculous thing to say given that it is, as far as I'm aware, easily the lightest machine with its capabilities. You have to compare like with like.
  • Reply 91 of 280
    vicgvicg Posts: 3member
    I agree. A nice little upgrade but not quite exciting - yet. I think Apple could have gone further in a few areas. The move to the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT GPU is good, but they could have at least offered the 512 MB version as an option like what is available in some higher end Santa Rosa equipped PC Notebooks. There seemed to be enough murmuring about getting a GPU with the 512 MB option leading up to this upgrade, but I guess not enough to get Apple to move on it just yet. Also, the new fsb speed is quoted at 800 Mhz and yet Apple plugs in what is claimed to be 667 MHZ DDR RAM. Just trying to clear their 667 MHZ stock? So this begs the question posed by Palter earlier in this thread:

Crucial sells 800MHZ DDR2-SODIMMs (e.g., $529 for 2 2GB SODIMMs). Anyone know if they'll work?
  • Reply 92 of 280
    It's 4-6 weeks if you want a new MBP with the 7200RPM hard drive... that's a bummer. The stores won't have any will they? ...I'm guessing no...
  • Reply 93 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Very good upgrade overall. Not good if you already have a recent C2D 'Book but fantastic if you're upgrading from a PB G4!

Nice to finally see a 7200 rpm HD option! Of course, that delays it 4 to 6 weeks.

Even better if you're upgrading from a DigitalAudio 733mHz tower...

Hey, this is somewhat relevant since you brought up the drive speeds -- does anyone know if the 4200 rpm 200GB drive would be fast enough to use for DV video editing or HD playback? I'll be getting one of these new MBPs and I'm trying to decide whether to go for hdd speed or capacity.
  • Reply 94 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VicG View Post

Also, the new fsb speed is quoted at 800 Mhz and yet Apple plugs in what is claimed to be 667 MHZ DDR RAM. Just trying to clear their 667 MHZ stock? So this begs the question posed by Palter earlier in this thread:

Crucial sells 800MHZ DDR2-SODIMMs (e.g., $529 for 2 2GB SODIMMs). Anyone know if they'll work?

FSB doesn't equal RAM bus speed. The two are totally different busses. The FSB connects the CPU to the chipset, and the chipset interfaces to the RAM via the RAM bus. I imagine that you could put 800 MHz SO-DIMMS into the machine, but it'd still clock the bus at 333 MHz so you wouldn't see any change in performance.
  • Reply 95 of 280
    Has anyone contacted the Apple stores to see if they have any of the new models? I am in Seattle. No Apples open yet!
  • Reply 96 of 280
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianMojo View Post

does anyone know if the 4200 rpm 200GB drive would be fast enough to use for DV video editing or HD playback? I'll be getting one of these new MBPs and I'm trying to decide whether to go for hdd speed or capacity.

You aren't going to be doing any serious HD editing without an external FW800 drive.
  • Reply 97 of 280
    Perhaps a few of you should visit Macword and get some more insight. Seems like a lot are speculating without facts. Making ridiculous statements and thus an absoluate waste of time.
  • Reply 98 of 280
    Quote:

But the problem with that argument is that Apple is doing the same feature just fine in a more compact device.

I believe that the original issue was that the MacBooks were more difficult to change the harddrive.

And rightlfully so. I find it a lot harder to change my (compact) golf glove than it does to my (big) catcher's mitt.
  • Reply 99 of 280
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

I take it 45% of something is not good - or in this case is it?

The MacBook Pro is supposed to be a pro laptop after all. There are other LED screens which can cover over 100% of NTSC.
  • Reply 100 of 280
    Engadget is saying that these aren't santa rosa based laptops

Quote:

Apple left a little mystery in their MacBook Pro announcement today, and being that this marks the one of industry's first official releases of an LED-backlit laptop (behind Sony, but still ahead of Dell), we had to take out the guesswork and get confirmation on a few of our more burning questions.

All 15-inch MBPs now use LED-backlit displays standard; 17-inchers still use CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent)

Apple claims users can see a battery-life benefit of between 30 mins - 1 hour (depending on use). They did not have stats on exact efficiencies between LED and CCFL backlit displays.

The new LED backlight is the same brightness: 300 vs 300 nits of the previous gen's CCFL

The viewing angle is also the same as before

In other words, besides faster time from fully-off to full-brightness and an increase in battery life, Apple claims users should notice absolutely no perceivable difference between last-gen displays and the new LED-backlit ones.

Other bits

The MacBook line is not yet using Santa Rosa

Even though the MBP is 0.2 pounds lighter, we're still without an internal / integrated 3G option

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/m...t-macbook-pro/