Apple to adopt ZFS as default file system for Leopard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kindwarrior View Post

I like HFS+ but it's carrying a *lot* of legacy code (6800 code emulated into powerPC emulated to x86).

That sentence makes absolutely no sense.
  • Reply 42 of 156
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"I'm gonna kill you, Schwartz!" -Steve Jobs

NO SJ doesn't do that. He'll just say, you're not being professional and creative enough, let's adopt a black turleneck attire shall we....
  • Reply 43 of 156
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    YES, this is the kind of thing I want to hear!

ZFS sounds like a great filesystem and I'm glad it won't be just an option but used by default. If it was an option, people would never use it. I think disk IO is one of OS X's biggest problems with using laptop drives so hopefully this will go a little way to relieving it.
  • Reply 44 of 156
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

This is great news, Filesystems like ZFS are essential for a future where storage is online, all-the-time.

Hmmmm. . . . Do I smell a .mac upgrade in the works? Steve did mention it last week. . . .
  • Reply 45 of 156
    matt3421matt3421 Posts: 1member
    Will we see ZFS in the WWDC07 build or do we have to wait till October?

~Matt
  • Reply 46 of 156
    ZFS can be the boot volume. Some of the people I interact with in the Open Solaris community are already booting from ZFS on PCs by messing with the GRUB bootloader. My understanding is that the Mac's Extensible Firmware is much more flexible than GRUB, so it should be pretty easy to boot from ZFS on a Mac (in theory).

Xserves no longer ship with a RAID card option (!). This makes me think that ZFS is in the pipeline in some way, since ZFS (on a fast, 64-bit machine) is a more than adequate replacement for RAID-5, and has the advantage of not being tied to manufacturer-specific hardware.

ZFS is also endian-agnostic, which means that it can internally handle data no matter whether the system's processor is little-endian byte order (x86) or big-endian (PPC). That would be a pretty nice think for Mac users, I would think.

While it's true that you can add any device you like to a zpool, you CAN'T add a device to a RAID-Z pool and have it be part of the parity array (at least, you can't do this yet). So the extra disk you slap onto a pool that is configured to be RAID-Z won't get protected by parity - you'll have a sort of RAID-Z/JBOD pool at that point.

There IS and option when creating a stripe (which you CAN add to very flexibly) to specify that all bits be written between 1 and 3 separate times to the pool. I think ZFS will try to write each copy to a separate physical device, if possible.

Even if Schwartz is wrong (and I think he's an even more impressive CEO than Jobs), I'd at least recommend grabbing a copy of Solaris 10 or Open Solaris and installing it on an old PC or and Intel Mac and checking it out ZFS that way.
  • Reply 47 of 156
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The Steve is powerful. Next, when you go to the Sun site you'll find a pottery enthusiast page.

Do not pre-announce the Steve's magics.

• Reply 48 of 156
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    I guess the solved the booting issue, cool.
  • Reply 49 of 156
    dsbeerfdsbeerf Posts: 1member
    http://news.worldofapple.com/archive...-os-x-leopard/

This was out there in December. So Jonathan isn't really leaking anything.

• Reply 50 of 156
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I would think that ZFS would allow you to have a virtual filesystem that crosses physical boundaries of hard drives.

I ran out of space on my main/boot harddrive because of video. With ZFS, I think I should be able to extend the filesystem so that it looks like all my videos are under my own username/home directory but actually are on 2 separate drives.

Any insights on how ZFS might benefit users?

As stated it works with virtual file systems. I would assume that HSF+ could be one of those.
  • Reply 51 of 156
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Stupid question:

Won't time machine either rely on ZFS to make it work, or at least, to make it work much better?
  • Reply 52 of 156
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    It appears that ZFS supports forks/streams, so it should be possible to emulate most of the legacy features of HFS+.

The only thing I'm curious about is whether there's any way to implement the HFS+ feature of referencing a file by its file ID instead of its path, using FSRefs or aliases, so that your reference follows the file even if it is moved in the file system. Is this possible in ZFS, or is it something we'll have to say goodbye to (which would be a shame, because I don't know of any other OS that can do this)?
  • Reply 53 of 156
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Stupid question:

Won't time machine either rely on ZFS to make it work, or at least, to make it work much better?

Not stupid at all. I'm beginning to think that Apple knew they'd be moving to ZFS.

1. Time Machine has "snapshots" written all over it.

2. The Xserve had no RAID card which was WTF?

3. No XSAN update in a while (longshot but perhaps it's going to be delivered with ZFS supports)
  • Reply 54 of 156
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nine9nin View Post

10. Clones with no ethical issues

The simple creation of snapshots and clones of filesystems makes living with ZFS so much more enjoyable. A snapshot is a read-only point-in-time copy of a filesystem which takes practically no time to create and uses no additional space at the beginning. Any snapshot can be cloned to make a read-write filesystem and any snapshot of a filesystem can be restored to the original filesystem to return to the previous state. Snapshots can be written to other storage (disk, tape), transferred to another system, and converted back into a filesystem.

I know nothing about filesystems, but I know the chazm that always exists between my Power Mac and my PowerBook is incredibly annoying. I've repeatedly said that Apple should allow us to easily sync our portables (primarily Mail) with our main computer.

Is that part of what this point is referencing? Will ZFS make it easier to sync multiple machines?
  • Reply 55 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Stupid question:

Time Machine is a relative back-up system. It backs up everything once, then it backs up changes on top of that. So if I back up daily, then the second back-up will only back-up things that I changed.

ZFS would let time machine work block-by-block instead of file by file. Imagine if I have my photo library backed up. If it's in a file-by-file set-up, then when I change one tiny little thing (tags, name, whatever), it will re-backup the whole photo (1-2 MB). Using ZFS, it'll re-backup a block (like a few KB or so).

With regards to the booting issue, Macs already use a separate boot partition of some sort, don't they?
  • Reply 56 of 156
    retiariusretiarius Posts: 142member
    We know that Apple has jammed ZFS + 'dtrace' + Java from

Sun into MacOS X for a while now. Perhaps a "secret feature" from

the near/medium-term future is to just replace the whole damn

kernel with (soon to be GPL3) Solaris. Natch, this will only

run on Intel-based non-legacy Macs.
  • Reply 57 of 156
    how to express my self about this news??

THINKS "remember that I shouldnt believe everything I read (particularly on the internet)

Remember that Steve shuts off and shuts down pre announcing people, so even if it were true, he could kill it.

Remeber that its REALLY too close to WWDC for him to pull the plug on ZFS.

Conclusion = Revert to original first gut feeling on reading this.

OH MY GAAWD!

If true I am SO over the moon happy, there is VERY little I have read online that has made me want to join hands with everyone and dance around the room singing.

Maybe I'll get round to that, when it comes out of Steves mouth.
  • Reply 58 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

Time Machine is a relative back-up system.

You think? The TIME part sorta gives it away
  • Reply 59 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

We know that Apple has jammed ZFS + 'dtrace' + Java from

Sun into MacOS X for a while now. Perhaps a "secret feature" from

the near/medium-term future is to just replace the whole damn

kernel with (soon to be GPL3) Solaris. Natch, this will only

run on Intel-based non-legacy Macs.

Basically every OS runs Java. When something doesn't have a Java runtime, that's notable.

There's no way that you can effortlessly swap out a kernel. There's a lot of interfacing between the kernel and the userspace.

No offense, but by your logic, Apple uses bash, gcc, and about 80 other GNU utilities. Maybe they're switching to Hrud. Or they use OpenSSH, maybe they're switching to a pure OpenBSD kernel. Sorry, but that doesn't really hold weight.

Not to mention, what does the OpenSolaris kernel have that Darwin doesn't?
  • Reply 60 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

You think? The TIME part sorta gives it away

I meant that it's "relative" in the sense of it makes incremental backups in relation to the first back-up. So if you have a 50 GB filesystem (say, 10,000 files) backed up on Monday, then if you change 50 files, then it only backs up those 50 files, resulting in a total back-up size of like 50.1 GB (actually, there's compression, so it'd be smaller). In an absolute backup system, you'd have 50 GB + 50 GB = 100 GB of data over those two days.