Comments

• Reply 121 of 156
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

There was no public word on that.

There is now unfortunately:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=199903281

It looks like it's not coming after all. But there's a surprise, Apple not delivering a product everybody wants and instead giving us stuff we don't particularly care about one way or the other.

Where the hell is the support for Mac themes??? Dammit, I don't want a shiny dock or transparent menu, I want to be able to choose what I want.
  • Reply 122 of 156
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Maybe it really *is* time for Jobs to step down...maybe not shut down Apple like in the PC/Mac guy joke at the WWDC Keynote intro but Jobs has clearly lost it.

He's dishonest (lying about having a lot of top secret features)

He's insulting (showing the world 8 features that we already knew about, 1 of them a Tiger feature, also telling developers 'fuck you' in the form of 'you can build iPhone apps, Web 2.0 apps')

His priorities are wrong. (letting iPhone dev take up all the Leopard resources)

Steve may have saved Apple but I think his time is up...if he's left up there much longer, we may see Apple become the new Microsoft.
  • Reply 123 of 156
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Steve may have saved Apple but I think his time is up...if he's left up there much longer, we may see Apple become the new Microsoft.

I don't know. Regardless, I have the impression that Apple becomes more and more conservative, relatively speaking, when it comes to computer updates. While it can even modestly refresh the hardware (hard drives, graphics, RAM) on a regular basis, and while the updates today are 95% silent (so no need to have THE big hardware to show off), it will choose to wait, wait, and wait until you see something new. And in the meantime the whining machine gets off and flies over our heads in this board.

This looks very much like the Apple attitude from the past when computer components were updated less often than today.
  • Reply 124 of 156
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!

not!
  • Reply 125 of 156
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Maybe it really *is* time for Jobs to step down...maybe not shut down Apple like in the PC/Mac guy joke at the WWDC Keynote intro but Jobs has clearly lost it.

He's insulting (showing the world 8 features that we already knew about, 1 of them a Tiger feature, also telling developers 'fuck you' in the form of 'you can build iPhone apps, Web 2.0 apps')

His priorities are wrong. (letting iPhone dev take up all the Leopard resources)

The impression from Leopard feature show case is so underwhelmed that keep people thinking that if the features were coming from Solaris, Linux, etc. Space. And earlier, people had impression that Time machine will intelligently reuse the disk drive space to reproduce lost files, now it seemed people need to connect to another external driver? Isn't that the same thing people can do with their own backup softwares now a day?

It smells like yet another Leopard delay, or a feature cutting version of Leopard by October. Hopefully Leopard doesn't turn out to be yet another Windows Vista. People are sticking on Windows XP because how slow Windows Vista perform yet with many more problem than ever.

If it turns out like Microsoft, people better sell their AAPL shares quick!
  • Reply 126 of 156
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I don't know. Regardless, I have the impression that Apple becomes more and more conservative, relatively speaking, when it comes to computer updates. While it can even modestly refresh the hardware (hard drives, graphics, RAM) on a regular basis, and while the updates today are 95% silent (so no need to have THE big hardware to show off), it will choose to wait, wait, and wait until you see something new. And in the meantime the whining machine gets off and flies over our heads in this board.

This looks very much like the Apple attitude from the past when computer components were updated less often than today.

I hate having to tell people this all the time. Apple did NOT update their computers less often, in the past. That only happened after Moto failed to deliver updates to its chips in a timely manner, after the G4 450 came out.

Before that, Apple updated its machines every 3 months. We expected, and got, new machines, or major upgrades in January, A speed bump in March. Updated machines in July, a speed bump in September, and New machines in January, again.
  • Reply 127 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

The impression from Leopard feature show case is so underwhelmed that keep people thinking that if the features were coming from Solaris, Linux, etc. Space. And earlier, people had impression that Time machine will intelligently reuse the disk drive space to reproduce lost files, now it seemed people need to connect to another external driver? Isn't that the same thing people can do with their own backup softwares now a day?

It smells like yet another Leopard delay, or a feature cutting version of Leopard by October. Hopefully Leopard doesn't turn out to be yet another Windows Vista. People are sticking on Windows XP because how slow Windows Vista perform yet with many more problem than ever.

If it turns out like Microsoft, people better sell their AAPL shares quick!

It will come out in October, feature complete.
  • Reply 128 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Apple is DOOMED!!!!

not!

I agree. I think quick look/cover flow is one of THE best gui features i have ever seen and (as long as it doesnt lag like in itunes (although 64 bit should cover that (hopefully))) will definitely change the way i access my files. Microsoft would call that ALONE a new os
  • Reply 129 of 156
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    While I agree that the keynote was disappointing and that the secret features were just spin and hype, we just can't tell from here what the end is really going to look like. Leopard may turn out to offer a lot of improvements under the hood that result in real productivity increases ... or it may just be lipstick on a pig.

I expect we'll all start to hear reports of Leopard's goodness and badness in the next few days as more and more developers post their impressions on the new OS.

As for no ZFS, well, given that nothing new really came out of the keynote, I guess it's par for the course.

I also have a sinking feeling that the iPhone is far and away the apple of Apple's eye right now. Until that fruit drops, I don't think we're going to get anything earth shattering from the other branches of the tree.
  • Reply 130 of 156
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    The WWDC keynote was AMAZING. By far it was the best so far. You have to remember what previous upgrades where like - people would get all excited over just exposé. Now we have a new finder, new dock, unified look, stacks, big upgrade to mail, spaces, Safari 3.0 , time machine, quick look, spotlight on steroids, ichat, boot camp, that FUCKING AMAZING back to my mac feature, shared folders - I mean holy fuck. We still haven't seen the iLife updates either. I understand some people aren't very tech saavy and don't realize how much work this all takes, but I have never seen so many improvements added to an OS between releases (in under 2 years no less) If you think anyone else can do better - like linux or Microsoft - I would only be too happy to show you the door.
  • Reply 131 of 156
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Apple is DOOMED!!!! not!

Sure they are... Apple had the chance of a life time... Imagine they could have ripped out a known working filesystem and replace it with a new filesystem that has absolutely no track record (short term or long term) and one that even the developer can't get boot-able.

Doom... Doomed for sure!

Dave
  • Reply 132 of 156
    Quote:

There was no public word on that. I am afraid only developers which assisted the conference will know (the only ones they will receive the Leopard beta).

Wait? Assisted, or attended? Because all keynote attendees (and I think all WWDC attendees) get a copy of the Beta.

But for the rest of us, there may be a few things "de-NDA'd", which means we might get a shiny video of another meeting, and devs can discuss that meeting. Last year, two things were released: State of the Mac 100 & 500. They both mostly just gave new images of stuff we'd already seen, but we learned a few things.

And odds are good that in about a week or so, some developer willing to risk the NDA will upload Leopard Beta to a torrent, or at least pass it along to a release group. And there will always be screenshots someone sends in to MR or AI.

In short, I'd say odds are better than even that we'll know by the end of July.
  • Reply 133 of 156
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Now we have a new finder, new dock, unified look, stacks, big upgrade to mail, spaces, Safari 3.0 , time machine, quick look, spotlight on steroids, ichat, boot camp, that FUCKING AMAZING back to my mac feature, shared folders - I mean holy fuck. We still haven't seen the iLife updates either. I understand some people aren't very tech saavy and don't realize how much work this all takes, but I have never seen so many improvements added to an OS between releases (in under 2 years no less) If you think anyone else can do better - like linux or Microsoft - I would only be too happy to show you the door.

Sure they are improvements but that's it, just the same as what we've had but marginally improved. In other words *yawn*.

There were so many good things that developers are interested in that didn't get covered like no more need to learn Applescript to control apps but you can use proper languages like Python and Ruby. What about the performance improvements X-Ray gives to apps and OS X itself. What about reducing application load times and improve caching? What about themes? What about Resolution Independence? What about quickdraw 2D? What about improving Spotlight's performance?

There were a ton of things that he could have covered but he concentrated on the dumbed down gimmicky features that either nobody cares about or that we've seen/expected for ages. The majority of the Keynote was a waste of time. I honestly think that Leopard has some great things coming but I don't think Jobs' presentation covered them adequately.
  • Reply 134 of 156
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Interesting article here how moving to ZFS could be the first step in making OSX for all Intel P.C.s:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=146
  • Reply 135 of 156
    Quote:

Interesting article here how moving to ZFS could be the first step in making OSX for all Intel P.C.s:

I had forgotten about that patent. It could be crucial.
  • Reply 136 of 156
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Yea, I agree. And add to the list of insults Steve Jobs' solution to a backup server: throw a [single] USB drive on the Airport Base Station and Time Machine will backup to it. Now WHY THE %%@# would anyone ever want to archive and backup onto a SINGLE drive? That's just like tempting the gods with your precious data.
  • Reply 137 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

Yea, I agree. And add to the list of insults Steve Jobs' solution to a backup server: throw a [single] USB drive on the Airport Base Station and Time Machine will backup to it. Now WHY THE %%@# would anyone ever want to archive and backup onto a SINGLE drive? That's just like tempting the gods with your precious data.

I'm not quite following your logic. Since people current don't back up at all, creating a simple to use and automatic backup solutions is a good thing no matter how you slice it. Sure, it's only one backup drive, but that is two drives with your data is on. Plus, you could always get a multi-disk NAS with hardware RAID over USB or Ethernet port. Time Machine won't be able to tell the difference.
  • Reply 138 of 156
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Sure they are improvements but that's it, just the same as what we've had but marginally improved. In other words *yawn*.

There were so many good things that developers are interested in that didn't get covered like no more need to learn Applescript to control apps but you can use proper languages like Python and Ruby. What about the performance improvements X-Ray gives to apps and OS X itself. What about reducing application load times and improve caching? What about themes? What about Resolution Independence? What about quickdraw 2D? What about improving Spotlight's performance?

There were a ton of things that he could have covered but he concentrated on the dumbed down gimmicky features that either nobody cares about or that we've seen/expected for ages. The majority of the Keynote was a waste of time. I honestly think that Leopard has some great things coming but I don't think Jobs' presentation covered them adequately.

Uhm this was a keynote....to a developers conference. He did not want to go over the minor details in an hour and a half and not share the major details.

The minor details are being covered in sessions through out the week.
  • Reply 139 of 156
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

A glimmer of hope.
  • Reply 140 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Uhm this was a keynote....to a developers conference. He did not want to go over the minor details in an hour and a half and not share the major details.

The minor details are being covered in sessions through out the week.

It wasn't an hour and a half.

It started pretty late, and ended pretty early. I don't think it was over an hour, or not by much. Maybe someone has the time.