iPhone: Safari ad, unofficial hands-on, anti-interference patent

1234568»

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 150
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I guess this is just anther hijacking of the language, sort of like how "gay" and "queer" used to have nothing to do with sexual orientation... or like how "fantastic" doesnt mean "of fantasy" any more, it means great.
  • Reply 142 of 150
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post


    I guess this is just anther hijacking of the language, sort of like how "gay" and "queer" used to have nothing to do with sexual orientation... or like how "fantastic" doesnt mean "of fantasy" any more, it means great.



    I hate to break it to you, but languages aren't static.
  • Reply 143 of 150
    apple how dare you upset the nerds. it is the world wide web goddammit. they might throw away their inhalers and cough uncontrollably all over their imacs if you EVER call it the internet again.
  • Reply 144 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Thanks for the persecution everyone, I really appreciate it



    But you still havent answered my question, do yuo call coffee beans "coffee beans"?
  • Reply 145 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post


    I hate to break it to you, but languages aren't static.



    mmm I wonder if that small fact has anything to do with the wide spread acceptance of the world wide web now being known as "the internet" now
  • Reply 146 of 150
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    But you still havent answered my question, do yuo call coffee beans "coffee beans"?



    Well, I don't talk about coffee all that much, but I guess I would call them coffee beans.



    Do you think I should be calling them "coffee seeds"? "Bean" is a name given to various plant seeds, so I don't really see the problem in calling a coffee seed a coffee bean.



    I don't have a problem with language being dynamic, per se. I have this pet peeve of people using "less" when they should use "fewer", but I recognise that the two words have pretty much identical meanings, and if the word "fewer" disappeared, it wouldn't really matter all that much. However, I do find it truly lamentable when meaning is lost.



    Take "peruse" for instance - it means "to read thoroughly", but people misuse it so often, that you can't be sure when you use it correctly, if people are going to think you mean "to scan quickly".



    When "internet" also comes to mean "world wide web" for the general public, I don't have a problem with that as long as those "in the know" still understand the gargantuan difference between the two and use the words appropriately. I regard Apple as being one of those entities that should be "in the know".
  • Reply 147 of 150
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    HOLY HUMANITY, BATMAN! How much more of a beating can this dead horse take!??









    .
  • Reply 148 of 150
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,335member
    oops!
  • Reply 149 of 150
    Quote:

    The guy searches for seafood. Pacific Catch comes up and he chooses it. But there is NO Calamari on their menu.



    http://www.pacificcatch.com/menu.html



    The main page of Pacific Catch's website at pacificcatch.com now says...



    "Pacific Catch Featured on the Apple iPhone TV Ad

    In honor of the ads, we're running a calamari special at both locations"




    So, it's a special item even though it is not listed on the menu.



  • Reply 150 of 150
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post


    The main page of Pacific Catch's website at pacificcatch.com now says...



    "Pacific Catch Featured on the Apple iPhone TV Ad

    In honor of the ads, we're running a calamari special at both locations"




    So, it's a special item even though it is not listed on the menu.



    You would think that Apple would think this through more and sub-let their ads to a local business...maybe they could have coordinated the search term to an item that was on the menu...but man is that one lucky small business owner!
Sign In or Register to comment.