iPhone in Europe; YouTube on iPhone; ZFS 'not happening'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techslacker View Post

I'd guess that since it's been obvious that Apple has been at work on zfs that it's still coming. Journaled HFS didn't just show up, woo crowds, and become the default OS. It came in over time. The same will likely occur with zfs.

I haven't found the journaling to be all that useful either. I've had the same number of problems over time, and the same type of problems. I've also lost the same types of files to the same problems. I thought I knew what the advantages of journaling were, but I haven't seen any in real world usage.

Good thing I back everything up.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    First of all, for the person that said Java is dead: that's nonsense. For Steve it's dead on the desktop in that Apple doesn't support it anymore for the development of Cocoa apps. Apple's support for Java has never been the greatest. For the best support look at Solaris, Linux, Windows. Probably in that order. Java is alive and well, otherwise, and it's sad that Apple has taken the stance that it has because the Mac (with OSX) could have been a great platform for developing Java apps (not Cocoa/Java but NetBeans, etc.).

Remember, if Steve's gadgets don't do what you want them to do, he'll just tell you that you don't need to do that anyway or that that thing you want to do is crap. He can only sell what he has and convince you that you didn't want to do the other thing anyway.

You know, like "who needs a stylus for a PDA????" Well, unless you have pencil points for the tips of your fingers, you're gonna want a stylus at some point, otherwise you can only select items that are roughly the size of pennies.

For the person who wrote that they're going to consider an 8525 over the iPhone: don't do it. I waited until January to find out what the iPhone would be. When it became clear it wouldn't have an SDK I was sold on looking for another platform. A Treo would have been nice but that meant choosing between the ancient PalmOS and Windows...and with Windows (on Treo) you have that pathetic screen res. So I settled for the 8525. This thing is a piece of junk. It crashes (hangs) often. The sliding keyboard will drive you nuts because quite often the phone will hang when you turn it on because the phone seems to get confused on how it should orientate the screen. Plus, the keys are all pretty flat so that it makes it tough to type without hitting more than one key at a time. And if you think you are going to get BlackBerry reliability with this thing....forget about it. So sadly, there are no great PDA options out there at the moment. And the iPhone certainly will not fix things.

As for the iPhone SDK, I think the problem Apple is still dealing with is the iPod functionality and the DRM issues. You see, Apple enforces a DRM between iTunes and the iPod device. The two are locked together. Which is why you need iTunes on Windows if you are going to sell iPod's to Windows users. The security issues Steve is mostly likely grappling with are the ones related to a rogue developer creating an iPhone app that will transfer "DRM'd" music from the iPhone to some other device. So, you now have the situation where people want an SDK but Apple can't provide it. Hence the recent push for eliminating the DRM issue all together. If DRM goes away, then you will see an SDK for the iPhone within days.

The retarded thing is that Steve proclaimed they found a solution for third party apps in AJAX via Safari on the iPhone. Like, as if no one had already concluded that would be an avenue of functionality to explore. It is NOTHING NEW. We always assumed we'd be able to do that Duh. Only Steve can sell something obvious as brand new...

Then there's the whole "no new hardware announcements" issue. It's a pretty pathetic day when Apple has to resort to promoting an OS that won't arrive until the Fall on it's HOME PAGE. Basically, they're telling us they've got nothing new. Go away and come back in 6 months. Ummm, okay. So where the hell are the new developer machines (aka "Pro" machines)???? I'm talking about the towers here. Not another freakin notebook or gussied up iMac.

Isn't it ironic that we all became convinced that when Apple switched to Intel we'd finally be seeing way more frequent product rollouts as Apple moved to keep pace with the latest technologies? Well, that hasn't happened. Seems that Apple has in fact slowed down. Because Apple has never (NEVER) been able to focus on many things at once. They introduce stuff with a huge hoorah and then certain things fall on the backburner (Sherlock, iCal, .mac, Aperture, mini...).

I think Apple is on a downward cycle right now. It's either because they've completely lost focus, are moving focus to gizmos, or are just spread way way way too thin. Either way it's not a good thing. A competitor like Sun could sweep in (if they had their act together....yeah, right) with a compelling open source based platform and start gobbling up the Apple Pro market. I certainly wouldn't be deploying an Apple Xserve any time soon based on Apple's past server foray (remember A/UX anyone???). In the enterprise it is hard to trust Apple. Businesses need to plan with obsolescence in mind. With Apple, you don't know when they are going to come out with new hardware and you don't have a clue of what it might or might not have. Look at all of the PC notebooks coming out NOW with the SantaRosa platform. There is NO EXCUSE for Apple to not have all of their notebooks on the new platform yesterday. So much for leading.

Someone got made fun of the other day for suggesting they'd switch to Vista. It's a frightening thought. But for anyone that's a Web developer or Internet application developer there are compelling reasons to do so. Like I said before, stuff like the NetBeans IDE only just became officially available for OSX. There are way more people using Windows browsers than Mac browsers. With Safari on Windows, there's one less reason to get a Mac: you'll be able to test all of the major browsers from Windows.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

You can load Skype on WM5 and make VoIP calls over WiFi. Cingular has not blocked this. You still have to pay for your plan. It would only help those who usually go over their minutes a lot, and have constant access to WiFi.

thats suprising, makes sense why apple won't sell the phones using prepay in europe.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by felixcat View Post

First of all, for the person that said Java is dead: that's nonsense. For Steve it's dead on the desktop in that Apple doesn't support it anymore for the development of Cocoa apps. Apple's support for Java has never been the greatest. For the best support look at Solaris, Linux, Windows. Probably in that order. Java is alive and well, otherwise, and it's sad that Apple has taken the stance that it has because the Mac (with OSX) could have been a great platform for developing Java apps (not Cocoa/Java but NetBeans, etc.).

Remember, if Steve's gadgets don't do what you want them to do, he'll just tell you that you don't need to do that anyway or that that thing you want to do is crap. He can only sell what he has and convince you that you didn't want to do the other thing anyway.

You know, like "who needs a stylus for a PDA????" Well, unless you have pencil points for the tips of your fingers, you're gonna want a stylus at some point, otherwise you can only select items that are roughly the size of pennies.

For the person who wrote that they're going to consider an 8525 over the iPhone: don't do it. I waited until January to find out what the iPhone would be. When it became clear it wouldn't have an SDK I was sold on looking for another platform. A Treo would have been nice but that meant choosing between the ancient PalmOS and Windows...and with Windows (on Treo) you have that pathetic screen res. So I settled for the 8525. This thing is a piece of junk. It crashes (hangs) often. The sliding keyboard will drive you nuts because quite often the phone will hang when you turn it on because the phone seems to get confused on how it should orientate the screen. Plus, the keys are all pretty flat so that it makes it tough to type without hitting more than one key at a time. And if you think you are going to get BlackBerry reliability with this thing....forget about it. So sadly, there are no great PDA options out there at the moment. And the iPhone certainly will not fix things.

As for the iPhone SDK, I think the problem Apple is still dealing with is the iPod functionality and the DRM issues. You see, Apple enforces a DRM between iTunes and the iPod device. The two are locked together. Which is why you need iTunes on Windows if you are going to sell iPod's to Windows users. The security issues Steve is mostly likely grappling with are the ones related to a rogue developer creating an iPhone app that will transfer "DRM'd" music from the iPhone to some other device. So, you now have the situation where people want an SDK but Apple can't provide it. Hence the recent push for eliminating the DRM issue all together. If DRM goes away, then you will see an SDK for the iPhone within days.

The retarded thing is that Steve proclaimed they found a solution for third party apps in AJAX via Safari on the iPhone. Like, as if no one had already concluded that would be an avenue of functionality to explore. It is NOTHING NEW. We always assumed we'd be able to do that Duh. Only Steve can sell something obvious as brand new...

Then there's the whole "no new hardware announcements" issue. It's a pretty pathetic day when Apple has to resort to promoting an OS that won't arrive until the Fall on it's HOME PAGE. Basically, they're telling us they've got nothing new. Go away and come back in 6 months. Ummm, okay. So where the hell are the new developer machines (aka "Pro" machines)???? I'm talking about the towers here. Not another freakin notebook or gussied up iMac.

Isn't it ironic that we all became convinced that when Apple switched to Intel we'd finally be seeing way more frequent product rollouts as Apple moved to keep pace with the latest technologies? Well, that hasn't happened. Seems that Apple has in fact slowed down. Because Apple has never (NEVER) been able to focus on many things at once. They introduce stuff with a huge hoorah and then certain things fall on the backburner (Sherlock, iCal, .mac, Aperture, mini...).

I think Apple is on a downward cycle right now. It's either because they've completely lost focus, are moving focus to gizmos, or are just spread way way way too thin. Either way it's not a good thing. A competitor like Sun could sweep in (if they had their act together....yeah, right) with a compelling open source based platform and start gobbling up the Apple Pro market. I certainly wouldn't be deploying an Apple Xserve any time soon based on Apple's past server foray (remember A/UX anyone???). In the enterprise it is hard to trust Apple. Businesses need to plan with obsolescence in mind. With Apple, you don't know when they are going to come out with new hardware and you don't have a clue of what it might or might not have. Look at all of the PC notebooks coming out NOW with the SantaRosa platform. There is NO EXCUSE for Apple to not have all of their notebooks on the new platform yesterday. So much for leading.

Someone got made fun of the other day for suggesting they'd switch to Vista. It's a frightening thought. But for anyone that's a Web developer or Internet application developer there are compelling reasons to do so. Like I said before, stuff like the NetBeans IDE only just became officially available for OSX. There are way more people using Windows browsers than Mac browsers. With Safari on Windows, there's one less reason to get a Mac: you'll be able to test all of the major browsers from Windows.

I pretty much agree with what you've said except for the Palm OS. I don't really care how ancient it may be. It works well, and does what I need it to do. I can get what I need for it, and those are the things that matter.

If I were coming from a non-smartphone, unlike my Treo, I would switch from it to the iPhone quickly, even with moving to a different network. My wife wants one now, though my daughter doesn't (too big).

I agree about the focus. I had an interesting discussion here, about Apple's lack of focus (he didn't agree).
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Here's the download for Skype for PPC.

http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2005...ppc_12_be.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiology View Post

thats suprising, makes sense why apple won't sell the phones using prepay in europe.

• Reply 46 of 76
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsoc View Post

This is extremely disheartening and unfortunately we're going to have to pull our plans for Leopard for our plans for the storage needs. We had hoped to use Leopard Server in place of Solaris so that we'd have a unified server and storage arrangement, but this is sadly going to be shelved as I'm sure many will also be shelving this aspiration. <sigh>

Oh I see. You planned to use Leopard because of the rumour and speculation of the inclusion of ZFS. Now you plan not to use Leopard because of the rumour and speculation of the exclusion of ZFS?
  • Reply 47 of 76
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. It is complete and utter rubbish and one wonders why you bothered.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Oh I see. You planned to use Leopard because of the rumour and speculation of the inclusion of ZFS. Now you plan not to use Leopard because of the rumour and speculation of the exclusion of ZFS?

That's how I make my decisions!
  • Reply 49 of 76
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    The story has been updated, apparantly ZFS will be available but won't be the default OS.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    ozonerozoner Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subatomicsoul View Post

So while there may not be ZFS in OS X Leopard for desktops and laptops, it's probably a good thing. Disk capacities just don't warrant it, IMHO. However, it would make sense for OS X Leopard for Servers.

- Roland

I respectfully disagree that ZFS would not be useful in Leopard desktops.. I think it would actually address what is likely to become a significant problem in the not-too-distant future.

Apple is selling content - lots of content. iTunes+ 256 files, full length movies, music videos, podcasts (the Gates/Jobs D5 video podcast is almost a GB), etc. Even with a monster HD, it is going to start filling up as more people buy the content. Yes, you can buy an external HD and keep the big stuff on it, but that is a pain - the average consumer would have to manually manage their various iTunes formats (e.g. music goes in the ~Home/Music folder, movies go on the external and get manually added, etc). This growing content library is going to take its toll.

With ZFS, it COULD (if Apple does it right) mean that you just plug in a new HD and your drive space is increased. No muss, no fuss, no visible multiple partitions, just one huge drive that can continue to grow. Yes, this is a bit simplistic but I really think that a year down the road, a decent percentage of people are going to start running out of space, especially if/when Apple starts their content rental model.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

The story has been updated, apparantly ZFS will be available but won't be the default OS.

That's fine. Removal of zfs entirely would have sucked big time. ZFS solves a lot of real world issues with large disks and no backups. Time Machine isn't going to help back up a 2TB media array unless you have another 2 TB media array sitting around somewhere.

While I currently back up my personal pictures to S3 (my backup and offsite backup solution rolled into one) its actually not a lot of space or cost. Backing up a large iTunes collection is a different ballgame.

raid-z is a nice compromise of safety and ease of use. Yes, I could lose everything in a fire or other home disaster but at that point I have other things to worry about. Loss of a HDD in a larger array or mobile device is simply a matter of when and not if.

Vinea
  • Reply 52 of 76
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

How can Safari on the iPhone be a full version if it has no support for Java or Flash

Safari doesn't support Java or Flash. Safari supports plug-ins and for Mac OS X there are Java and Flahs plug-ins.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    domerdeldomerdel Posts: 78member
    Gizmodo:

A correction has been posted to the original story that ZFS will be available as an option, but won't be the default file system.

That's what I figured would happen. Apple typically does this with new filesystems. Journaling for HFS+ is still off by default when you format a drive.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I disagree with pretty much everything [felixcat] said. It is complete and utter rubbish and one wonders why you bothered.

And you may even be right, but saying "I disagree and your opinion is garbage" isn't really a rebuttal. It's just a flame. \

• Reply 55 of 76
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Didn't Apple release a new Mac Pro in April? Should they have held off until June? Haven't you noticed that Apple has not announced an upgraded Mac at an event since WWDC 2006; just press releases? The days of announcing updates of existing Mac hardware at events have passed. Plus, Apple isn't going to announce/release any innovative hardware, because it would interfere with the iPhone rollout as a major new business area. You need to look to Sep/Oct for the next round of significant changes; just before Apple's largest sales quarter of the year.

Quote:

I think Apple is on a downward cycle right now. It's either because they've completely lost focus, are moving focus to gizmos, or are just spread way way way too thin. Either way it's not a good thing.

PCs are not a growth market. It's a replacement market with tiny growth rates, where much of the replacement market is already locked-in via corporate software. Real growth is in gizmos. But the incredible thing about Apple's strategy of going full-bore into gizmos, is that they are linking it to Macs through retail stores, OS X, iTunes, and now Safari. Definitely not a lack of focus but a fully intertwined set of actions to grow everything at once.

Quote:

A competitor like Sun could sweep in (if they had their act together....yeah, right) with a compelling open source based platform and start gobbling up the Apple Pro market. I certainly wouldn't be deploying an Apple Xserve any time soon based on Apple's past server foray (remember A/UX anyone???). In the enterprise it is hard to trust Apple. Businesses need to plan with obsolescence in mind. With Apple, you don't know when they are going to come out with new hardware and you don't have a clue of what it might or might not have.

You do realize that Apple just moved into the top 10 in server sales, don't you?

Quote:

Look at all of the PC notebooks coming out NOW with the SantaRosa platform. There is NO EXCUSE for Apple to not have all of their notebooks on the new platform yesterday. So much for leading.

Prove to me that there is a PC vendor out there that has ALL of their notebooks on the SantaRosa platform. Apple is not going to lead by losing money on every sale. That's Dell's job.

Unlike Microsoft, Apple knows it can't do everything. And so many things are sacrificed by having no priority (it just will not happen at all because Apple doesn't care) or low priority (it will happen when it happens but Apple isn't doing anything special to make it happen).

Apple has a strategy that leads to a small set of profitable products being sold in its own stores and a retail channel. And when you don't understand its strategy, then you'll keep looking for "leadership" or "products" in areas that Apple will not provide.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    avoravor Posts: 44member
    I'm more than curious as to why Java is not installable on the iPhone. If I want to use some space to install it, I don't see an issue with it. Java is developed around the idea of being able to run any program on any machine (although slower since it is interpreted). Java may run horrible on the iPhone because of its speed (or lack thereof). However, I think the issue isn't that "no one uses it anymore" but rather the restricted 3rd party development of applications for the iPhone.

I believe most all the points above I made for Java apply for the reason why Flash is not supported.

I would imagine we will see "support" (the allowed installation) of Flash an Java at some point in the future. It wasn't that long ago when we were told no outside development of applications for the iPhone would be allowed. Although restricted to Web 2.0, it is a start.

Apple is just being careful. This will be the largest launch for a new product that they have ever had and they don't want some idiot destroying them by some "awesome new 1337 app! 'rm * -r' LAWL!"
  • Reply 57 of 76
    So why did I get Java updated via software update not too long ago. It was for safari.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Safari doesn't support Java or Flash. Safari supports plug-ins and for Mac OS X there are Java and Flahs plug-ins.

• Reply 58 of 76
    avoravor Posts: 44member
    Quote:

So why did I get Java updated via software update not too long ago. It was for safari.

Java is a preinstalled plugin. Safari doesn't run Java it just allows the Java environment to be run within the browser. I believe Sun and Apple used to be pretty buddy buddy at one point which is why it could explain why it is found in Apple system updates (I may be complete wrong though).
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avor View Post

Java is a preinstalled plugin. Safari doesn't run Java it just allows the Java environment to be run within the browser. I believe Sun and Apple used to be pretty buddy buddy at one point which is why it could explain why it is found in Apple system updates (I may be complete wrong though).

Apple is making the Mac OS X port of Java.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:

And for other browsers.