Intel Macs a focus of Apple's forthcoming Tiger update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A forthcoming 10.4.10 release of Apple's Mac OS X Tiger operating system will offer the greatest benefit to users of its Intel-based Macs, according to reports.

The Mac maker, which began evaluating the Tiger maintenance update in May, has since issued a number a test builds to its vast developer the community. The latest such seeds were reported to have arrived during the firm's annual developers conference this week, carrying build numbers 8R214 and 8R2214 for PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs, respectively.

For the most part, Apple is working to increase the stability and performance of Tiger ahead of October's Leopard release, using recent builds of the impending update to address issues within the software's kernel, JavaScript core and OpenGL engines.

People familiar with the latest tests seeds say improvements to imaging, specifically fixes for RAW format support, have also emerged as a primary focus.

Of two distributions -- PowerPC and Intel -- Apple has asked its developers to test the latter more broadly, those people say. Areas of focus for the Intel version not emphasized with the PowerPC software reportedly include audio, video, graphics and Bluetooth technology.

It's unclear when Apple plans to release Mac OS X 10.4.10 or whether the company's upcoming iPhone device will have any dependencies on refinements included in the OS update.

The current version of Tiger is Mac OS X 10.4.9, which was released in March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    FTFF!!!!!

j/k bring it on.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    wtf?? ppc is not dead... i've got an 'old' g4700 imac and it's still running photoshop pretty fine.. of course, it's not a g5 or anything but it's a four y/o machine! i think these intel machines won't last this much....

why not focus on ppc either, apple? as far as we can guess, leopard is gonna be much more hardware consuming than tiger and probably there's a lot of ppc out there that won't make the transition...

bad....
  • Reply 3 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For the most part, Apple is working to increase the stability and performance of Tiger ahead of October's Leopard release, using recent builds of the impending update to address issues within the software's kernel, JavaScript core and OpenGL engines.

Let's hope these issues are fixed once and for all.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    zozozozo Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpferreira View Post

wtf?? ppc is not dead... i've got an 'old' g4700 imac and it's still running photoshop pretty fine.. of course, it's not a g5 or anything but it's a four y/o machine! i think these intel machines won't last this much....

why not focus on ppc either, apple? as far as we can guess, leopard is gonna be much more hardware consuming than tiger and probably there's a lot of ppc out there that won't make the transition...

bad....

Maybe there are just more troubles with Tiger on Intel. They had more time to work on the PPC version before.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

bad....

Why not? There's no money in it. If they focus on Intel, it could actually help push a hardware sale. But offering updates for you lousy penny-pinching free-loaders, expecting to use your computer for years, with Apple getting nothing out of it. Come on, buy an intel mac. You know they want you to....

But zozo is right. The PPC version is way older then the intel version, and, as such, as more debugging time in it already (I don't care what Apple says, there's still differences between the platforms that require separate coding and debugging)
  • Reply 6 of 21
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    All the Intel point-releases have been twice the size (and probably twice the bug fixes) of the PPC updates, since they rolled out the Intel version. There's just more to fix in it -- it's not them ramping down support for PPC. Seriously. They still supported Blue and White G3s with OS 10.4. There'll be PPC machines around for another 5-6 years, and it's worth it for them to support them for the sake of software sales.

Also, seeing as how they hedged their bet all along with a secret Intel build in the basement, one would be safe to assume they'd probably do the same with PPC, if there was ever a glimmer of an inkling that they might have a reason to switch back, down the line.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

bad....

I and a lot of people who have G3, 4 and 5's hear ya. The Steve can't hear so we need to read the writing on the wall. PPC is dead. I bet they drop support after Leopard or the OS after Leopard. The Steve is ready to push sales and move on and that sucks for 4 of the Mac's in my house. But I can live with it since my intel Machines are my everyday use machines. My wife could care less about Leopard on her G4 or little bitty white computer.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

All the Intel point-releases have been twice the size (and probably twice the bug fixes) of the PPC updates, since they rolled out the Intel version. There's just more to fix in it -- it's not them ramping down support for PPC.

It might have something to do with the fact that Intel systems actually have a lot of PPC code for Rosetta that would need updating. Universal binaries are nearly twice the size of single architecture ones. I think the Intel stuff will have more fixes, just not as much as the update size would suggest.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Don't worry, PPC will be supported for a long while yet. Even so, I have a hankering for a new Intel Mac. I'll spring once the next big cat is released.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Don't worry, there'll be a 10.6 for PPC as well.

It should be the last one, however.

Though, 10.5 supposedly drops G3 support.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I think Leopard will drop G3 support, agreed, but G4 and G5 definitely will be supported all the way to 10.5.lastone... 10.6 may not drop G4/G5 support. Just my gut feelings at this stage. We'll have to see.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

Don't worry, PPC will be supported for a long while yet. Even so, I have a hankering for a new Intel Mac. I'll spring once the next big cat is released.

I'm dying to get my hands on Leopard 10.5 Family Pack for my parents' iBook G4 and my MacBook Core[1]Duo White.

My work lappy - probably not do 10.5 yet for stability reasons.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Does anyone think Apple will make Leopard install just the binaries it needs for the architecture it's running on? I would think that this would streamline the file sizes getting put onto hard drives. It might be even more relevant given the supposed shift to flash-based storage where, at the moment, capacity is at a premium...
  • Reply 14 of 21
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Why not? There's no money in it. If they focus on Intel, it could actually help push a hardware sale. But offering updates for you lousy penny-pinching free-loaders, expecting to use your computer for years, with Apple getting nothing out of it.

If that isn't the worst kind of elitism B$, I don't know what is. Believe it or not, bub, not every mac user can afford to spend $3000 every few years staying with trends. In fact, we may want to save you macs for use as long as possible for more than just our pockets. The last Mac I bought worked for 10 years as a mainstay computer. My current one has been with me for at least 6.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

... The last Mac I bought worked for 10 years as a mainstay computer. My current one has been with me for at least 6.

Same here. My current Mac is a Power Mac 733 (Digital Audio) bought in March 2001 (just before Mac OS X was released).

Of course Apple knows this so I wouldn't worry about them dropping PPC support any time soon if ever.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I and a lot of people who have G3, 4 and 5's hear ya. The Steve can't hear so we need to read the writing on the wall. PPC is dead. I bet they drop support after Leopard or the OS after Leopard. The Steve is ready to push sales and move on and that sucks for 4 of the Mac's in my house. But I can live with it since my intel Machines are my everyday use machines. My wife could care less about Leopard on her G4 or little bitty white computer.

Realistically, the fastest 10.6* could come out is Oct 2009. They are aiming for 2-2.5 years between releases (the original goal of a May Leopard was the first planned on the slower schedule**), and so a April 2010 date shouldn't be a shock.

Now, the last PPC update was October 2005, when the iSight iMac and the Quad G5 were introduced, along with a Powerbook bump. The last G4 was sold in May of 2006, when the iBook was replaced by the Macbook. The last G5 was sold in August of 2006, when the Mac Pro was introduced.

So if 10.6 discontinues G4 support, it will be at least 4 years from the last G4 update, and 3.5 years after the last G4 was sold. If it stops all PPC support, it will be only 3 years after the last PPC Power Mac was sold. Those numbers assume the earliest plausible release date of October 2009. If it comes out in mid-2010, the case to drop PPC is strengthened.

I'm not saying it'll happen, or that I want it to happen, but it's possible.

* = (if there is a 10.6 and they don't go to OS 11 or something)

** = this was all discussed around the time Tiger came out, they said they would slow down OS releases.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    One of the biggest attractions about moving to the Mac platform is the fact that the life span of a Mac is longer than a windows machine purley because of the tight intergration of software and hardware unlike the latter which become boated and virus infested.

PPC has around 5 years before support will be stopped in my opinion.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

If that isn't the worst kind of elitism B$, I don't know what is. Believe it or not, bub, not every mac user can afford to spend $3000 every few years staying with trends. In fact, we may want to save you macs for use as long as possible for more than just our pockets. The last Mac I bought worked for 10 years as a mainstay computer. My current one has been with me for at least 6.

I believe it was mostly a joke, but there is some truth in it. Macs are more akin to game consoles than PC's. It's in Apple's interest to push users to get hardware upgrades and not merely software updates. Apple dropping support is one highly effective way to push that agenda. So is getting other companies to drop support (for example, EA using Cider to port games, in the process making them Intel-only). In truth, it's also one of the strengths OS X that Apple is willing to cut the strings on old hardware, whereas MS Windows keeps getting more bloated as it keeps support for everything all the back to the DOS days.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Well I hope the focus is on the intel Macs, my 8 core kernel panics at random intervals. (don't need tech support). For those bitching about PPC users, perhaps your machines don't need an update. Mine does.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

Realistically, the fastest 10.6* could come out is Oct 2009. They are aiming for 2-2.5 years between releases (the original goal of a May Leopard was the first planned on the slower schedule**), and so a April 2010 date shouldn't be a shock.

Now, the last PPC update was October 2005, when the iSight iMac and the Quad G5 were introduced, along with a Powerbook bump. The last G4 was sold in May of 2006, when the iBook was replaced by the Macbook. The last G5 was sold in August of 2006, when the Mac Pro was introduced.

So if 10.6 discontinues G4 support, it will be at least 4 years from the last G4 update, and 3.5 years after the last G4 was sold. If it stops all PPC support, it will be only 3 years after the last PPC Power Mac was sold. Those numbers assume the earliest plausible release date of October 2009. If it comes out in mid-2010, the case to drop PPC is strengthened.

I'm not saying it'll happen, or that I want it to happen, but it's possible.

* = (if there is a 10.6 and they don't go to OS 11 or something)

** = this was all discussed around the time Tiger came out, they said they would slow down OS releases.

I'm pretty confident that 10.6 will be the last OS upgrade with PPC support. There will still be a fair number of G4 and G5's out there. Possibly as many as 10 million.

As long as people understand that there will necessarily be limited support for new software models on the old machines, there won't be a problem.

As 10.6 should be out sometime in the first half of 2010, along with the updates for bugs, and minor feature additions, such for iTunes, as well as any other Apple services added, we should see official support, at least, until 10.7 comes out, sometime during the 2012-2013 timeframe.