Apple iPhone may capture 26 percent of smartphone buyers - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That looks to as secure as can be expected today.

Thanks for the info.

Also a tough nut for the iPhone to crack.
  • Reply 82 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Also a tough nut for the iPhone to crack.

Yup, Apple and ATT would have to make a choice to support business, and it would be expensive to implement.

I also see that I forgot to type "be" in "...to *be* as secure..."

Oh well.
  • Reply 83 of 83
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:

What I find to be interesting about where RIM is going with the Blackberry is that as they try to make their models more popular with more than their "traditional" business customers, they are making them less easy to use.

A case in point. The standard Blackberry had been the horizontal wide spaced key model. That was pretty much all they offered as far as egronomics went. That was (and is) GREAT for typing.

Then they realised that sales were being limited by that rather clumsy shape.

They went to narrowed vertical models in addition.

But, when trying out my wifes model 8700, I found the keyboard to be not much easier to use for the double thumb approach than my Treo 700p, wheras, older models were much easier to type with.

Looking at even newer models, such as the Pearl, it can't be done at all, in any friendly way. Such models as the 7100 series are just as bad. The 8300 Curve, though it does have the full keyboard, is too narrow altogether.

It looks as though RIM will be forgoing most of the ease of use for wider sales.

But, that pits them directly against other companies, including Apple.

While RIM has push mail, a feature that seems to be no more useful than your browser simply going to the server and getting it at any interval you specify, the secure nature of it is what makes the difference.

Apple will have push as well, but, it's from Yahoo, and it's not as secure as RIMs'. If Apple did offer push that was secure, then that might be a different story.

Spot on melgross, I don't now what they are doing with the new Blackberry's, the new models leave behind the best thing about Blackberry, the keyboard. But i guess they have done their research and must thing they can sell more in that format. I would imagine that they will keep 2-3 models at anyone time to try and please everyone, the same as i would hope Apple to do in the long term.