iPhone Dual Dock; Apple Store downtime; new Apple video

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple will include a standard iPhone dock alongside each iPhone purchase but will reportedly offer a second dock with added capabilities. Meanwhile, the company is expected take its online store offline for approximately three hours on Friday. And a new iPhone video tutorial has been posted to Apple's iPhone website.

iPhone dock and Dual dock

It appears that Apple is planning to offer two distinct docking stations for iPhone when it goes on sale later this week, the first of which will be called "iPhone Dock" and come standard inside each iPhone box. Also inside the retail box will be the iPhone itself, a stereo headset, dock connector to USB cable, USB power adapter, documentation and cleaning/polishing cloth.

Meanwhile, a second iPhone dock -- reportedly dubbed "Dual Dock" -- will feature built-in charging stations for both the iPhone and Apple's $129 Bluetooth headset accessory. People familiar with current pricing data for the iPhone accessories claim the latter dock will fetch $49 as a standalone product. However, other reports indicate that the Dual Dock may be included with the purchase of the $129 Bluetooth headset.

It should be noted, however, that Apple has not released official pricing for any of its iPhone accessories. Pricing ($129 for the Bluetooth headset and $49 for the Dual Dock) could theoretically change ahead of Friday's launch, when the company is expected to provide more details on available iPhone add-ons.

iPhone features the same 30-pin dock connector as the iPod, so many properly designed iPod accessories should also work with the new Apple handset. However, Apple on its iPhone Q&A page warns that iPhone may cause audio interference with some iPod accessories. Products that are engineered and certified to be compatible with the iPhone will carry the "Works with iPhone" logo on their packaging, the company says.

"iPhone Dock" pictured on left, "Dual Dock" pictured on right.

Apple Store downtime

Meanwhile, people familiar with operations over at the Apple Store claim the online shop will be down for approximately three hours on Friday as the company prepares to accept online iPhone orders.

The store will be taken down around 3:00 p.m. Pacific time and will not resurface until approximately 6:00 p.m. Pacific time, those people say.

iPhone keyboard tutorial

Finally, Apple on Wednesday expanded its iPhone education tutorial by posting yet another video guide, this time demonstrating the device's virtual keyboard and smart correct typing software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    I hope that the new imac comes with a virtual keyboard option. So much easier to keep clean and I wouldn't make nearly the same number of errors.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    I highly doubt Apple would charge you $130 for a bluetooth headset and NOT include a way to charge it, instead forcing you to spend another $50 for a charging dock.

Not their usual way of doing things, IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I hope that the new imac comes with a virtual keyboard option. So much easier to keep clean and I wouldn't make nearly the same number of errors.

I guess that is out of the box thinking, but...

The only reason they use that virtual keyboard on the iPhone is because of space constraints. It appears to compare well with other smartphones because typing on their tiny little keyboards is dificult also. But when you have the space--i'm sorry, maybe you were joking.

Now, with the iTablet? Maybe...
  • Reply 4 of 59
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

I highly doubt Apple would charge you $130 for a bluetooth headset and NOT include a way to charge it, instead forcing you to spend another $50 for a charging dock.

Apple could easily just include a cable to charge the headset and then charge the $50 extra for the convenience of the dock. That's very much Apple's usual way of doing things.

$130 does seem a bit steep for the headset itself, though. Sure, it's small, but it doesn't offer noise reduction like the Jawbone.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The store will be taken down around 3:00 p.m. Pacific time and will not resurface until approximately 6:00 p.m. Pacific time, those people say.

Wow, so no orders through Apple until 9:00 PM on the east coast? People will be pissing themselves wanting to order!
  • Reply 6 of 59
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

your at $927, or approximately $70 short of the entry level $999 MacBook.

I think you mean "you're".
  • Reply 7 of 59
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think you mean "you're". And $927 is exactly $70 short of $999, not approximately $70 short.

927 + 70 = 997, or, approximately 999.

927 + 72 = 999

Also, the MacBook costs $1099.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    After seeing the keyboard demonstration. I see why Apple emphasizes trusting the keyboard. It attempts to think two or three steps ahead to predict the word you are attempting to spell.

Even anticipating the next letter you are going to push. Raising the target area of that letter and decreasing the target area of its neighboring letters.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

i was thinking the same thing
  • Reply 10 of 59
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

927 + 72 = 999

Oh fuck. Well, I'm sure that gave a few people a good laugh. What is wrong with my head today? Tail between legs

Anyway, good points, thanks for correcting me.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    oops.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    iLounge are stating the dual dock will be included with the Bluetooth headset.

http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/co...charging-dock/
  • Reply 13 of 59
    tcltcl Posts: 18member
    <quote>Add on $60 for the cheapest iPhone service plan plus the one-time $36 activation fee and you're at $927, or approximately $70 short of the entry level $999 MacBook.</quote>

Ok, I spent the extra $70 for the MacBook, but I can't figure out how to make a call with it
  • Reply 14 of 59
    ci0002ci0002 Posts: 23member
    Very bad move to open the online store all across the country at one time. Having 200 million of us potentially accessing the store at the same time will likely bring it down.

Much more sense to roll it out at 6pm by time zone. If the east coast stores (AT&T and Apple) are going to begin selling at 6pm local time, the online store should be there also.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

927 + 72 = 999

Unless you're a student or educational faculty or w/e, it's $999 for them. On the same note, do you think Apple will extend their college student $200 discount on iPods to the iPhone too? That's what I really need when I buy mine next year (I am a junior right now).
  • Reply 16 of 59
    I may be alone in this, but I've always hated predictive spelling on my cell phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

After seeing the keyboard demonstration. I see why Apple emphasizes trusting the keyboard. It attempts to think two or three steps ahead to predict the word you are attempting to spell.

Even anticipating the next letter you are going to push. Raising the target area of that letter and decreasing the target area of its neighboring letters.

• Reply 17 of 59
    zzcoopzzcoop Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Finally, Apple on Wednesday expanded its it's iPhone education tutorial by posting yet another video guide, this time demonstrating the device's virtual keyboard and smart correct typing software.

Oh, the irony!
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I may be alone in this, but I've always hated predictive spelling on my cell phones.

I haven't used it on a cell phone, but yeah, I could see it being really obnoxious. I hate it when MS Word is always trying to guess what I'm doing.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    ci0002ci0002 Posts: 23member
    Call to Apple got response that as of now it is planned to have the Apple online Store open at 6 pm local time in each time zone.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CI0002 View Post

Call to Apple got response that as of now it is planned to have the Apple online Store open at 6 pm local time in each time zone.

And how exactly are they going to do that?