Guess the date for next-gen iMac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Just for the record, the most recent speedbumps/launches/etc. of the Mac line have fallen on the following days:

4 on Wednesday

1 on Tuesday

1 on Monday

So it might be time to let the whole "Tuesday!" release hopes go. That said, I bet next Wednesday... for no good reason.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    I don't think you are right about that. I seem to remember all the recent releases being on Tuesdays still. Show me a source and then ill belive you.

edit... Well I just went back and checked on the MBP and Macbook refreshes and they were both on tuesdays...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...re_memory.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...book_pros.html

So I guess your crazy theory is shot, eh?
  • Reply 43 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Myst View Post

So it might be time to let the whole "Tuesday!" release hopes go. That said, I bet next Wednesday... for no good reason.

I think 3am Sunday North Eastern Specific time (specific time means that it arrives 3am Sunday no matter where you are). It's what people will least expect.

Sunday morning won't be like Sunday morning.

What I don't understand about launching on Monday is that everyone is at work and will be for the following 4 days. Why not release on Friday so people can go to a store the next day and buy one?

Maybe it's so office workers can talk about getting one and build up the excitement. I vote tomorrow again:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/18...op-on-july-23/

I know what you're going to say though, that's about the iphone. But I think what'll happen is this:

*Steve Jobs walks on*

So to kick off our iphone session, we'll turn it on.

Just hit this button and slide to unlock. BOOM.

Ok that's all we want to talk about concerning the iphone today...
  • Reply 44 of 72
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

With a little free time today, I found the following price list: merom price list. So, even the 2.6 GHz extreme Merom, the only actually displayed in the list, costs about twice as much as today's Merom in the iMac ($851 vs. $423). Now whatever the deal between Apple and Intel is, the proportions should be the same. Which means just forget an "exteme" chip in the iMac.

Why not have 2x 2.0GHz at $241 each. I'm sure that'd be comparable in speed.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

I don't think you are right about that. I seem to remember all the recent releases being on Tuesdays still. Show me a source and then ill belive you.

edit... Well I just went back and checked on the MBP and Macbook refreshes and they were both on tuesdays...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...re_memory.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...book_pros.html

So I guess your crazy theory is shot, eh?

I went with this site as a reference: http://www.designedinca.com/ But it would seem that they were wrong.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/p...price_list.pdf

updated price list, not much price cut for Mobile CPUs...

iMacs tomorrow anyway?

if $999 20" iMac rumors to be feasible, it gotta be desktop CPU not mobile CPU

Q6600 (8M L2 cache 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 65nm) - $266

E6850 (4M L2 cache 3.00 GHz 1333 MHz FSB 65nm) - $266

E6750 (4M L2 cache 2.66 GHz 1333 MHz FSB 65nm) - $183

E6550 (4M L2 cache 2.33 GHz 1333 MHz FSB 65nm) - $163

killer prices!!!
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think 3am Sunday North Eastern Specific time (specific time means that it arrives 3am Sunday no matter where you are). It's what people will least expect.

Actually, Apple does all of its updates to the website at 12:01 AM (though probably Pacific Time) - that's what an Apple Store employee told us, so 3AM doesn't quite work, except for the Eastern time zone people.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Maybe it's so office workers can talk about getting one and build up the excitement. I vote tomorrow again:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/18...op-on-july-23/

I know what you're going to say though, that's about the iphone. But I think what'll happen is this:

*Steve Jobs walks on*

So to kick off our iphone session, we'll turn it on.

Just hit this button and slide to unlock. BOOM.

Ok that's all we want to talk about concerning the iphone today...

The only problem I see with that is that the e-mail shows it's very software/coding speific... it would make extremely little sense to have a hardware release.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/p...price_list.pdf

updated price list, not much price cut for Mobile CPUs...

iMacs tomorrow anyway?

if $999 20" iMac rumors to be feasible, it gotta be desktop CPU not mobile CPU

Why? There's a $999 iMac right now. Apple is running high on margins they keep telling analysts NOT to expect to continue. If they drop the 17" in lieu of the 20" and bump with new processors and whatever else then their margins will drop back to traditional levels.

Vinea
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Why? There's a $999 iMac right now. Apple is running high on margins they keep telling analysts NOT to expect to continue. If they drop the 17" in lieu of the 20" and bump with new processors and whatever else then their margins will drop back to traditional levels.

Vinea

hope they do the same. i am just highlihting price difference. we will get to know what step Apple takes in few days/weeks. I am waiting for tomorrow like Melgross predicted it would happen before 25th earnings call to surge the stock up again.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I am waiting for tomorrow like Melgross predicted it would happen before 25th earnings call to surge the stock up again.

If it is going to happen today then it could not be more than a simple refresh of the line (no new design). But somehow I doubt it. Waiting nearly 11 months for this?

It makes no sense. Guess we will soon know.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I guess the one thing that makes an iMac update not likely is the quick shipping times listed online at the Apple Store. Yeah, Apple could be buffaloing us on this. However in the past it's been a pretty good indicator of whether or not we'd see a new product. Right now, iMacs ship not more than 1-3 days, and in most cases within 24 hours. Usually, when an update is near, the lead times go up to 5-7 days or longer. It could be that the totally new design offsets it because it's radically different enough to not muddy the difference between older models and newer models, therefore, making older models easier to sell at discounts. Alright enough of my rambling....
  • Reply 52 of 72
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    How about a cheeky comment in the earnings announcement - 'See you on the 7th'
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

How about a cheeky comment in the earnings announcement - 'See you on the 7th'

Where did you find that?
  • Reply 54 of 72
    store is NOT down yet
  • Reply 55 of 72
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Where did you find that?

No, no, no. I meant maybe there will be a cheeky comment. The earnings announcement is tomorrow is it not?
  • Reply 56 of 72
    another tuesday passes by quitely, 10 mins past 9 AM PDT
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:

another tuesday passes by quitely, 10 mins past 9 AM PDT

I think today is pretty much not going to happen. I'm praying it is July 31st. But in several US states there is a tax free weekend August 3rd-5th. Which, unfortunately, may mean that they will use that extra traffic to clear stock and make way for the new iMacs on Aug. 7th. Dang it all.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

But in several US states there is a tax free weekend August 3rd-5th. Which, unfortunately, may mean that they will use that extra traffic to clear stock...

Most probably yes. Common sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

...and make way for the new iMacs on Aug. 7th.

That, or even later.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I don't really expect Apple to sell a lot of iMacs at the moment. They're like 50% more expensive than similarly specced PC's. Apple better hurry with this one, I'm waiting on the new iMac to replace my 5 year old Dell, but if they wiat too long, I guess I'll have to go Dell again, as much as I hate Vista...
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I'm waiting on the new iMac to replace my 5 year old Dell, but if they wiat too long, I guess I'll have to go Dell again, as much as I hate Vista...

And why do you hate it, if I may ask? I have not yet personal experience to tell.