Analyst: iPhone is Harry Potter "squib" of cellphones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This analyst is clearly trying to be controversial to drive Internet traffic. Everyone wants to be John Dvorak, aka The Big Scary Apple Hater.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In which case the naysayers would say, *meh, they only can travel like 25,000 times the speed of light, I was expecting covering 1/5th of the universe in like 5 minutes*

Oh please, you know as well as I that he would not be satisfied unless they could travel instantaneously, as well as having the ability to be in multiple points of space and time. Obviously
  • Reply 43 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

aka The Big Scary Apple Hater.

Well, since he uses a Mac now, I think he's more like, the 3rd grader who has a crush on Apple and teases her because he is afraid of what the other columnists will think.
  • Reply 44 of 106
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Wow, talk about grubbing for hits! A double whammy!
  • Reply 45 of 106
    Nice analysis, Draco.

By working it into his opinion, Kumar now gets to write off his expenses for buying Harry Potter books, those incurred during line-standing-related activities, and for the costume of a Dementor he had to buy (the scabby skin and soul-sucking capability are innate).

Of course, some analysts are such attention-whores that they need to glom onto the hot item du jour to get what they need. Had he written his analysis a few days later, he might have callled the iPhone, "the Lindsay Lohan of cellphones."
  • Reply 46 of 106
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Now, keep in mind that 80% of analysts DO NOT match the performance of the market averages. That in mind, any analyst that quotes Harry Potter in an Apple iPhone review has to be near the bottom of the pack.

Lackluster? USA Today's poll indicated that 90% of iPhone owners were overwhelmingly happy with their iPhones. I am one. The iPhone has more "magic" in it than the first generation iPod could ever have hoped for. The more powerful "magic", that this guy couldn't see if it were in front of his face (which is exactly where it is) is the acceleration of earnings that is taking place at Apple (33% y.o.y.) on Mac sales (without any help from iPhone). And iPhone to that and growth will likely top 40%. Show me another company with a balance sheet as clean as Apples (12.5 BILLION in cash, 0 debt!) and I'll sell you the Brooklyn bridge.

The real beauty of iPhone is that Apple has a $300 profit margin per phone. And on top of that a $200 kickback from ATT and you get a 4GB phone that is PURE PROFIT! No wonder they want to spread it out. If they didn't they would be called capitalist pigs (which is a good thing for a corporation).

The point being that a phone with a $500 profit margin has plenty of room for price drops. But Apple can't drop the price too quickly so here's what comes first.... Buy an iPhone and we'll pay your contract termination fee from Verizon. That offer they could make tomorrow and STILL have $325 profit on the initial sale.

PLUS they get $9/month/subscriber on top of the initial profit.

All of this is gravy on top of Mac and iPod sales that were MUCH STRONGER than anyone had thought. Is there any wonder why several analysts raised their price targets today when the stock was down.

Incidentally the stock was down because it was perceived that Verizon got away unharmed by the recent iPhone launch as sales tapered off after the initial weekend. This is just the calm before the storm. Remember when the Razr came out? It was $500 a pop. And definitely not worth it. It sold well at first based on looks, but didn't sell really well until the price came down. Once Apple drops the price of the iPhone in the neighborhood of $100-200, they will be selling a ton of them. BEST OF ALL they will still have a $300 profit margin and the the $9/month!

And all that onto the great growth the other profit centers are generating for Apple and investors will flock to this safe haven of profit acceleration. No sub-prime mess here (Apple is debt free). And if home owners are struggling to make the mortgage just how did Apple manage to sell a record number of Macs in the past three months? I smell a sub-prime rat!

Apple is hitting on all cylinders and profits are accelerating upward. What more do you need?
  • Reply 47 of 106
    This phone is only the first generation and it's already the best cell phone ever made. It was not intended for everyone and their mother to own one; it was specifically made with business people in mind. It has all the features of other PDAs and more with cleaner interfacing. There's already talk of the second gen of iphones being more mainstream in design with a little less of the features that most people won't use. Your Harry Potter analogy won't make you more popular or more people believe you. Take a look at all these posts.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    narutnarut Posts: 1member
    I've been using Windows Mobile for a several months, and it's make me feel like I'm going back to Windows 95 all over again.

You know, I will go get the iPhone the first day it available in my country! (too bad I'm in asia, so I have to wait until 2008 )
  • Reply 49 of 106
    Apple didn't want to raise the bar too high for their first product release.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

4. Business / Target Market. I will say it again. THIS PHONE IS NOT A BUSINESS PHONE. How many times do I see articles reviewing the iPhone saying that it won't sell because its not business friendly. Apple is courting the gobs and gobs of 18 to 35 year-olds that have tons of discretionary spending (see xbox 360, PS3, etc.) that will pay a premium for the new gadget or access to high technology. These early adopters will drive the prices down until the iPhone (or subsequent versions) can be mass marketed on the consumer side. Never will this be a mainstream business product.

I agree with the first three points but not the fourth. The iPhone is going to be a very successful business device for one very good reason: It's the only hand-held device that enables easy and comprehensive use of the internet which for many firms is indispensable.

That is the reason why it has already been adopted by some firms
  • Reply 51 of 106
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    I forgot to include this link (not the only one) as evidence of adoption by firms of the iPhone:-

http://www.careerjournal.com/hrcente...wingfield.html
  • Reply 52 of 106
    Excellent analysis. Could not agree more!
  • Reply 53 of 106
    The guy hasn't used the iPhone. The sucker just works! As promoted.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    The guy hasn't used on. It just works as advertised.
  • Reply 55 of 106
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Its like some of these guys hate it so much they have nightmares of it,

Dam, if you hate it that much dont even talk about it, do anyone remember the 5gb iPod

it was price at around $499 and the 20gb around $599 and they sold

millions of then, so I really dont see apple having a problem with the iPhone,

unless att wires the entire us with 3G with a year which I find imposible to do

so soon

Actually, You're wrong.

FYI: The iPod 5GB costed $399 in October 2001, the 10GB did $499 in March 2002.

I don't consider the iPhone's $499 pricetag extremely high, though.

Anyway:

No new Apple product had a good launch. (until now, that is)

The Macintosh didn't sell well in it's early years.

But it revolutionized the graphic industry and, because of the lack of better solutions, became the dominant player in this market. It took MS a decade to get something comparable on the market: Dos-based Windows 95. After that, the Mac lost its momentum.

The Newton...

Got canceled in 1998 after sucking up billions of R&D dollars.

Pen-based computing sucks (Don't tell Microsoft, though)

The iPod sold less than 6 million in the first 3 years of its existence.

Apple sold a lot more Macs in the same time.

In the next 3 years they sold 104 million iPods.

The problem with the iPhone isn't the product itself, it is the unrealistic unreasonable expectations people have of it.

It's a new, first gen, rev A product. It isn't flawless.

But it is the best new, first gen, rev A product ever introduced by Apple.

It had an unbelievable good start although there was no magic involved.

only hype.

By the way: This FUD-writing muggle should have known that a wizards-child gets it magical power when it grows older, not in 2 days.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by narut View Post

I've been using Windows Mobile for a several months, and it's make me feel like I'm going back to Windows 95 all over again.

You know, I will go get the iPhone the first day it available in my country! (too bad I'm in asia, so I have to wait until 2008 )

You've actually used windows95?

So you're mudblood than?
  • Reply 57 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In which case the naysayers would say, *meh, they only can travel like 25,000 times the speed of light, I was expecting covering 1/5th of the universe in like 5 minutes*

I hate when they say that.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    A lot has been discussed about the inability to install user apps or store files on the iPhone, it doesn't even support the portable drive option of iPods. While I definitely want all that, something for the IT people to consider... there's no risk if an iPhone is hacked or lost... since it can't contain any sensitive data other than what the camera is allowed to see. That's are real strength, and likely the reason that Apple is embracing web services. I can accomplish the same tasks online and the info is more secure than if it was stored locally.

1 - It's harder to find the info on the net (it's a big place)

2 - Trusted websites offer encryption of data & intrusion protection

3 - Ability to move info elsewhere should the iPhone get into the wrong hands

Cheers!
  • Reply 59 of 106
    Why post this garbage. I just don't get it.....
  • Reply 60 of 106
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

I agree with the first three points but not the fourth. The iPhone is going to be a very successful business device for one very good reason: It's the only hand-held device that enables easy and comprehensive use of the internet which for many firms is indispensable.

That is the reason why it has already been adopted by some firms

Please answer the following and i will believe you...

1 - Does the iPhone offer a secure interface into a corporate exchange server?

2 - Where can a company actualy buy 1000 iphones from?

3 - What Business tarrifs are AT&T offering for the iPhone?

4 - How can a roving salesman swap his battery over for a fully charged one when spending a few days on the road and realising his charger is back in the office?

5 - can the same roving salesman connect his iphone to his laptop for 3G wireless access?

6 - How does one activate the voice dialling features of the iphone for use while on the road?

7 - Can a company install their mobile CTI & presence client onto the iPhone like they can do with other mobile operating systems?

So i get 7 negatives from those questions, maybe i am wrong, can you point out where i am wrong and show me how the iPhone can be a business device?