Analyst: iPhone is Harry Potter "squib" of cellphones

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

See, it doesn't have a radio! Nobody's going to use the things. And it only works with iTunes. And it's just because Apple forces you to buy all your music from iTunes! It's obvious that Apple lacks all the more advanced ideas of the Microsoft Zune or Creative's offerings, which have the common sense to work with the Microsoft standards.

I was at the Apple store at the mall the other day, and I'd like to know where the people are lining up three and four deep, waiting for a chance to feel the Zune and see how it works. What's that? Oh, nowhere.

On the other hand, I wish I had tried out my Razr before I traded off my nice Sony Ericcson last year. Yuck. I've got another year to wait for the contract to expire on that piece of crap.

dude who the heck told you had to buy the music from itunes, have you heard of limewire, not to mention ones you find your music all you have to do is log in to itunes and it will find the album art work for you at no cost, thats if you laid out the album and artist correctly, so easy even ballmer at microsoft can do it
  • Reply 82 of 106
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

So, I don't buy the target market die hards, I really don't. This was rushed too quickly... I'm glad they didn't make this mistake with Leopard.

Except for 3G -- which I'd like to have for future use, but which isn't much real use to me now since 3G isn't available where I live yet -- most of what I'd like to see in the iPhone that isn't there now can be added by software update later.

With a product that makes many people very happy as-is -- myself included -- I see little reason not to release now and update later, rather than delaying and delaying until the product is "perfect". It's hardly as if the iPhone started out in such a poor state that it created a terrible first impression.
  • Reply 83 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You're looking at it from the standpoint of comparing smartphone packages. But, Steve Jobs wants 1% of the cell phone market, not just 1% of the smartphone market. In that case he is expecting normal cell users like myself who pay $28-$35 for normal cell service to double that rate. I know it's not a bad data package (although you could say the network is slow), but in the whole scheme of things it's double the cost for me.

Take a look at a lot of the "texting" packages on regular cell phones, or the lack of texting packages that the customer ends up paying extra for. $60 a month is not bad at all.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbh0001 View Post

Corporate mergers. If you can't with them over fair and square, buy them out. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

Not a corporate merger, merely a name change. AT&T had been completely defunct for a few years, Cingular bought the name, now they are using the name, it is still just Cingular. No merger took place there.
  • Reply 85 of 106
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

This was rushed too quickly... I'm glad they didn't make this mistake with Leopard.

I don't understand what you are getting at. The iPhone and Leopard are in two entirely different situations. The iPhone works fine. It does require some bug fixes which will come shortly but over all it does what it does very well.

Quote:

Not a corporate merger, merely a name change. AT&T had been completely defunct for a few years, Cingular bought the name, now they are using the name, it is still just Cingular. No merger took place there.

The point is through mergers is how the company has gotten so large. Even when it was called Cingular it increased its customer base through acquiring other companies.
  • Reply 86 of 106
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

With the utmost respect that is complete and utter bollocks! The iPhone is a phone. Apple will not shift 10 MIllion portable computers by end of next year they are trying to ship 10 million phones. In order to sell 10 Million phone then the iPhone needs to be a decent phone. I think at the moment that the iPhone is just an average phone, nothing too special, yes cover flow, yes full internet, but those are just decorations A mobile phone is primarily used to make voicecalls and SMS, that is what people want from a phone and in that respect the iPhone does not do anything that countless models from Nokia, Sony, Siemens, LG, Panasonic and Motorola do not already do better and cheaper. You guys are so deluded on this subject it is incredible. There is nothing wrong with being an Apple fan and still being able to criticise some of their products, in fact you would gain more credibility for it.

Actually, Apple is on track to sell between 8 and 10 million computers in calendar 2008.

Full internet is just a decoration? Safari is one of the best features of the iPhone. Being able to use Google Maps in Safari on the iPhone while on a business trip recently was tremendously useful. We were able to confirm our routings, find hotels, restaurants and customer locations. It was great.

I can't comment about SMS as I don't use that. The rest of the features on iPhone are really nice. I'm now putting pdfs of my presentations onto the iPhone via iPhoto. This is way more useful for me than the blackberry my company forced on me.

Also, the price is not high. The upfront price is higher than the "free" phones, but not the lifetime cost. I saw one comparison showing the iPhone and service plan for two years being a couple of hundred dollars less than the Motorola Q. There was another review showing that the iPhone had much better battery life than the Motorola Q.

The iPhone is not for everyone. Some people need tight coupling to their email. They need a blackberry. Other people need a great browser, internet connection, address book, calendar, Google Maps, video viewer and iPod. For them the iPhone is fantastic.
  • Reply 87 of 106
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neutrino23 View Post

The iPhone is not for everyone. Some people need tight coupling to their email. They need a blackberry. Other people need a great browser, internet connection, address book, calendar, Google Maps, video viewer and iPod. For them the iPhone is fantastic.

SLAM!

• Reply 88 of 106
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Why are there people who expect the iPhone to be perfect?

Is anything perfect?
  • Reply 89 of 106
    Quote:

Why are there people who expect the iPhone to be perfect?

Is anything perfect?

Even further how do you define perfect? Perfect can be different for everyone.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    domerdeldomerdel Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't understand what you are getting at. The iPhone and Leopard are in two entirely different situations. The iPhone works fine. It does require some bug fixes which will come shortly but over all it does what it does very well.

How is this so hard to understand? You are looking at this too literal... the general concept of waiting, and no, I don't believe any product is perfect, but I really do believe there were some general concepts that Apple really missed.

Some made the point that the iPod was expensive at first, and the first iPod wasn't all that great due to a lack of a high volume of mp3 players out there.. the difference with the iPhone is, the general concept has been out for awhile, and I think the iPhone could have had a better impression towards investors in a 4th quarter launch closer to the holidays...

The general global verdict to the mass public is "the iPhone is good.. but wait awhile.." (paraphrased)... so now that we are entering the 4th quarter, I don't think it will do as well...
  • Reply 91 of 106
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,316member
    My personal thanks to all you nutty analysts and news reporters who successfully helped drive down the cost of AAPL last night by nearly 10 points. It would appear someone read my last post!

Keep it up! And buy low, sell high!
  • Reply 92 of 106
    Quote:

but I really do believe there were some general concepts that Apple really missed.

What concepts are those? And based on what criteria were those concepts missed? Your own personal criteria doesn't count.

Quote:

The general global verdict to the mass public is "the iPhone is good.. but wait awhile.." (paraphrased)... so now that we are entering the 4th quarter, I don't think it will do as well...

Exactly who is waiting? The phone sold 270,000 units in its first two days of sale.

Apple expects to sell a million by September. I believe Apple is sure of this because they are near a million units and will likely exceed that by September. What other phone has sold a million units in its first full quarter of sales?

To add: these sales are in one country from one mobile phone provider. Measured against phones sold all over the world from many different manufacturers and many different mobile providers.
  • Reply 93 of 106
    I'll do my best not to comment on the idiotic bent of this piece ... a question though: how much was a "fully fledged" Razr with a 2 year contract when it first came out ?
  • Reply 94 of 106
    "These Wal Mart jeans are $20, and these Armani jeans are $200. $200 is just way too much. They'll never sell once people figure out they're just jeans--even if they do make you look like David Beckham or Nicole Richie."

(That last bit was just for the search engines. In fact, I think I'm gonna drop names like David Beckham and Nicole Richie at work every day from now on and see if people like me better and think I'm doing a better job.)
  • Reply 95 of 106
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

the lackluster results for the iPhone are said to be traceable to mistakes made in the iPhone's features and pricing. The device is aimed squarely at the iPod's general public audience but is priced in the same range as personal digital assistants and smartphones. Either flaw could be a potentially fatal blow to the handset, Kumar said.

While businesses already have their own self-evident questions about the value of integrating a potentially less productive (and more distracting) smartphone into their networks when RIM's BlackBerry or Palm's Treo were already known to work well, the real issue is the expense of the iPhone for those used to both the the iPod and everyday cellphones, according to the report. The iPod has rarely been priced at $500 and never had a two-year contract associated with its use -- an especially serious problem when customers can get some of the features in much less expensive devices.

"The market is already saturated with popular [phones] that are virtually free to consumers," the expert wrote. "The perceived zero cost of a cellphone like the Motorola RAZR is a serious impediment... the $500 price difference between and iPhone and any number of richly featured [phones] is a lot for a large number of individuals and families to overcome."

The outrageously expensive price of the iPhone will be its downfall. See "The very expensive iPhone, gone. Sorta." at http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33127/128/

With just a high school education, the only way Steve Jobs knows how to increase profits is to raise prices to insane levels (for an insanely great product, if I were to use Apple marketing language).

Once again, Apple is pricing itself out of the market. Sad to say, but Apple didn't learn from pricing mistakes such as the MacPlus or the Cube.

• Reply 96 of 106
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

The outrageously expensive price of the iPhone will be its downfall. See "The very expensive iPhone, gone. Sorta." at http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33127/128/

With just a high school education, the only way Steve Jobs knows how to increase profits is to raise prices to insane levels (for an insanely great product, if I were to use Apple marketing language).

Once again, Apple is pricing itself out of the market. Sad to say, but Apple didn't learn from pricing mistakes such as the MacPlus or the Cube.

The iphone is expensive. You get what you pay for. Interestingly he has little complaints about the device itself.

Quote:"The iPhone quickly became the darling of my family and co-workers, some of them leaving explicit notes such as “Get XYZ an iPhone” memo in the device’s "Notes" application. I didn’t use it as my primary phone (in order not to exceed the 450 minute calling limit), but I got used to the fantastic Google Maps implementation, watching Youtube videos at the end of a busy day on the couch, researching things like restaurants through the Internet connection and listening to music during airplane trips. I have not changed my mind: If Intel wants to build a great Mobile Internet Device, this is the benposition would be chmark."

Price is an issue for some, no doubt about it. But what makes you think Intel or anyone else for that matter will make a similar device for less? There are Nokia phones that cost more. Why don't you criticize them for their pricing practices?

Frankly the phone is a bit too expensive fro me as well. But I still think it is a great device and for people who will use it to it's potential it's a fair price. Personally I'd just like an iPod+Cell phone combo. That's all I really need or want.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    Quote:

What concepts are those? And based on what criteria were those concepts missed? Your own personal criteria doesn't count.

This is not my nature but... get bent, i mean, seriously, yes MY criteria counts, why? because i'm the effing consumer! Here's what i mean by general concepts missed:

What the iPhone doesn't have

? Songs as Ringtones

? Games (about to change)

? Any flash support

? Instant Messaging (i don't count having to go thru safari to IM)

? Picture messages (MMS)

? Video recording

? Voice recognition or voice dialing

? Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP)

? One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)

? 3G (EV-DO/HSDPA)

? GPS

? A real keyboard (i dont care about this)

? Removable battery

? Expandable Storage - a missed opportunity

? Direct iTunes Music Store Access (Over Wi-Fi or EDGE)

Quote:

Exactly who is waiting? The phone sold 270,000 units in its first two days of sale.

Apple expects to sell a million by September. I believe Apple is sure of this because they are near a million units and will likely exceed that by September. What other phone has sold a million units in its first full quarter of sales?

To add: these sales are in one country from one mobile phone provider. Measured against phones sold all over the world from many different manufacturers and many different mobile providers.

Beep Beep. here comes the clue train... last stop, you. Come on man, the moto RAZR is a great example. Apple fibbed and said it sold around 500K, about 50% short of it's estimate.

ATTN: Readers: please try to be less shallow towards my posts. You can disagree, but you need to take more than 10 seconds after reading my posts... remember it's my perspective and your perspective may differ... but let it set in.
  • Reply 98 of 106
    ""Exactly who is waiting? The phone sold 270,000 units in its first two days of sale.

Apple expects to sell a million by September. I believe Apple is sure of this because they are near a million units and will likely exceed that by September. What other phone has sold a million units in its first full quarter of sales?""

Completely agree with you. iPhone is the first of a kind, nobody is perfect, no doubt, but we have to admit, that iPhone still will shake the World...
  • Reply 99 of 106
    Quote:

i mean, seriously, yes MY criteria counts, why? because i'm the effing consumer!

Yes your criteria counts for you and what you choose to use. That's the beauty of the free market system. You are free to choose an alternative that will provide you what you need.

Does your own personal criteria qualify to officially declare the iPhone was rushed and premature? Thus far iPhone sales in the marketplace and general public opinion do not support this sentiment.

Quote:

Apple fibbed and said it sold around 500K, about 50% short of it's estimate.

Can you provide a link to where Apple said it sold 500,000 units and in what time frame did Apple claim to have sold that number?

Quote:

please try to be less shallow towards my posts. You can disagree, but you need to take more than 10 seconds after reading my posts... remember it's my perspective and your perspective may differ... but let it set in.

I'm not sure what you are so upset about. I am simply challenging you to qualify your opinion with facts. Is their a problem with that?
  • Reply 100 of 106
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicky g View Post

See, people are making the same mistake with iPhone as they did with iPod. They compare a list of features on a piece of paper, and say "but product x has more features and is the same price or cheaper, so iWhatever will not be a success!"

But they are wrong, aren't they? Because iPhone is PLEASANT and FUN to USE!

Yeah, until I need to send an SMS to 12 people at once. Then we see how fun it is typing the same message out 12 times!

The lack of certain features will make it un-fun for me at times. Not all the time, but enough to be significantly frustrating sometimes. I find 3G internet slow enough, I dread to think what EDGE would be like. You can't tell me that's pleasant and fun to use!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Except for 3G -- which I'd like to have for future use, but which isn't much real use to me now since 3G isn't available where I live yet -- most of what I'd like to see in the iPhone that isn't there now can be added by software update later.

Ditto. As long as it is added though... we've no guarantee that our pet features will be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

There are Nokia phones that cost more. Why don't you criticize them for their pricing practices?

Well, in England at least, you can get the N95 for free. Your prices were for phone only, no plan, which the iPhone isn't available as. Gotta compare like for like!