Analyst: iPhone is Harry Potter "squib" of cellphones

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Yeah, until I need to send an SMS to 12 people at once. Then we see how fun it is typing the same message out 12 times!

The lack of certain features will make it un-fun for me at times. Not all the time, but enough to be significantly frustrating sometimes. I find 3G internet slow enough, I dread to think what EDGE would be like. You can't tell me that's pleasant and fun to use!

Ditto. As long as it is added though... we've no guarantee that our pet features will be.

Well, in England at least, you can get the N95 for free. Your prices were for phone only, no plan, which the iPhone isn't available as. Gotta compare like for like!

"Like for like?" You mean the iPhone is already available in the UK, and you know the cost of the data/voice/SMS plan that comes with it?

• Reply 102 of 106
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"Like for like?" You mean the iPhone is already available in the UK, and you know the cost of the data/voice/SMS plan that comes with it?

No. But are you really telling me it'll be free? I've never yet found an Apple product that costs less in the UK than the US. Usually you convert the price, add our sales tax, then add on another 10-20% or so.

Plan-wise, I can build a reasonable copy of the US iPhone plan for £42.50 inc VAT (800 minutes, 200 texts, unlimited internet, free evening and weekend calls). On that contract, the n95 handset price is £60. That's what Apple's up against here. If they actually decide to compete properly I'll willingly eat crow, but I can't see it happening.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    Quote:

No. But are you really telling me it'll be free? I've never yet found an Apple product that costs less in the UK than the US. Usually you convert the price, add our sales tax, then add on another 10-20% or so.

Plan-wise, I can build a reasonable copy of the US iPhone plan for £42.50 inc VAT (800 minutes, 200 texts, unlimited internet, free evening and weekend calls). On that contract, the n95 handset price is £60. That's what Apple's up against here. If they actually decide to compete properly I'll willingly eat crow, but I can't see it happening.

FFS wake up! No phones are free... are people really that naive? The price of the phone is included in your contract and/or your call costs.

You don't seriously think that these major corporations give you something for free do you? If you do then I've got a bridge to sell you or some WMD to tell you about.

If you are serious about comparing like for like then compare the cost of 2 years ownership of the iPhone and a competitor.
  • Reply 104 of 106
    alek_2alek_2 Posts: 21member
    I'm a Mac fan, so you don't need to point out how much more advanced the iPhone is, but that adds up to a pretty hefty premium for something with similar functionality. With that kind of premium, I can't realistically imagine buying one until the price comes down into the $300 ballpark either
  • Reply 105 of 106
    Hello NeXT/ Apple/ I phone Community: I'm telling the truth the razor phone I was on my 4th one is a complete piece of sh&T OK , after owning an I Phone for about a month the only complaints I've had with it was the low ringer volume and that has been resolved and over coming the typing learning curve of the touch screen , now there is no way in hell , I would ever go back to anything else. The Iphone has also survived an involuntary drop test and involuntary morning coffee spill fiasco believe me my phones go through a tortured hell and so far she has survived . I like all the features voice recognition would be nice and may already be available. I hope they are planning a nano phone as a lot of people probably don't need an ipod feature in the phone but like everything else this might drop the price significantly. Now if only the rumor mill would stop sending Apple stock and options on a daily roller coaster life would be great! Best Regards Rob Blessin President BHI
  • Reply 106 of 106
    Quote:

If true -- and I don't doubt it is -- then I would have to agree with you: the iPhone will be up against some pretty tough compietion.