Last minute iMac and Mac mini rumors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 133
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

A lower cost mini with a speed bump would be just what I'm looking for. Hope this rumor is true!!! I doubt Apple would make much of a deal out of such a small change though.

It does seem like it would be a quiet upgrade not even mentioned in the keynote, if true.
  • Reply 22 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Aww no minitower, gah I guess I'll have to buy a mac pro...

NOOOO!!! Thats just what Apple wants you to do. You have to be strong and not fall into the RDF trap.

Just keep telling yourself, "Its more computer than I need, Its more computer than I need...."
  • Reply 23 of 133
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

If true I say hooray! I've been waiting since December.

Ditto! Way to go AI!
  • Reply 24 of 133
    "Top-end will hopefully ship with 2GB RAM."

I hope not. I don't want to pay for 2GB that I will throw away and replace with 3 or 4 GB (depending upon CPU support).

I would prefer a high-end machine with MAX RAM or none at all.
  • Reply 25 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

A lower cost mini with a speed bump would be just what I'm looking for. Hope this rumor is true!!! I doubt Apple would make much of a deal out of such a small change though.

I also don't think the Mac Mini should be discontinued - it should get upgraded significantly though... I'm thinking 2.16GHz Intel 2 Core Duo, 120GB HD and how my bank account will be suffering tomorrow .
  • Reply 26 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

"Top-end will hopefully ship with 2GB RAM."

I hope not. I don't want to pay for 2GB that I will throw away and replace with 3 or 4 GB (depending upon CPU support).

I would prefer a high-end machine with MAX RAM or none at all.

Max will be 4 GB - and the RAM issue is chipset-based, not CPU based.

It'll be 2 GB because that's what lands in Apple's price bracket for high-end computers. I think that we'll see all the MBPs, Mac Pros, the high-end iMac and the high-end MB move to 2 GB with their next refresh, with the rest staying at 1 GB for a bit.

If you're lucky, you can order 1x 2GB DIMM.
  • Reply 27 of 133
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    Gahhh. Damnit. I hope these rumours are wrong.

Repeat after me:

NOT EVERYONE WANTS AN INTEGRATED DISPLAY.

We need a minitower of some sort, with decent graphics and CPU, without an integrated display, at the iMac price point.

Apple, you used to have these, they were called the low end G4 towers. What the heck happened? When the G5 came out, you stopped producing affordable towers forever.

This is insane. Not everyone needs a Mac Pro, but they need more power than a Mac Mini, WITHOUT an integrated display.

Let's have a Core 2 Duo minitower with a seperate graphics card and room for at least two hard drives. YOU CAN DO IT APPLE! YOU REALLY CAN!

Sigh.
  • Reply 28 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

I also don't think the Mac Mini should be discontinued - it should get upgraded significantly though... I'm thinking 2.16GHz Intel 2 Core Duo, 120GB HD and how my bank account will be suffering tomorrow .

add discrete graphics and cider (games) and you have a HD gaming system ready to go on your new 'bigscreen TV' ! (ie. Steveo veto coming up)
  • Reply 29 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

add discrete graphics and cider (games) and you have a HD gaming system ready to go on your new 'bigscreen TV' ! (ie. Steveo veto coming up)

I can already see it seating here on my desk looking beautiful . Especially if there's also a $100 price drop for the high-end model.
  • Reply 30 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Repeat after me:

NOT EVERYONE WANTS AN INTEGRATED DISPLAY.

We need a minitower of some sort, with decent graphics and CPU, without an integrated display, at the iMac price point.

Ok. NOT EVERYONE WANTS AN INTEGRATED DISPLAY. We need a minitower of some sort, with decent graphics and CPU, without an integrated display, at the iMac price point.
  • Reply 31 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Let's have a Core 2 Duo minitower with a seperate graphics card and room for at least two hard drives. YOU CAN DO IT APPLE! YOU REALLY CAN!

Your best bet is for a split in the Mac Pro line.

Given the way the single-socket Quad-cores are priced, Apple could split the Mac Pro line again into single and dual socket models, with the Single Socket models as quads in the $1500 - $2200 range, and the dual-sockets as 8-core models in the $2700+ range (I'd guess 2 models in each bracket).
  • Reply 32 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

Low-end will have the combo drive and integrated graphics.

Combo drive is Apple standard for the low-end model.

Plus the low-end model will be the one sold to education - even $50 makes a difference to those buyers

Edu buyers will be upset enough that there is no longer a $999 model for them.

and now days combo as only about $10 less then full DVDRW starting at $29 - $35. How much more at the slot load ones?
  • Reply 33 of 133
    I think the combo drive is dead folks, i do not see the point in including it anymore.

I also think that a look at the MBP's is the best indication of the way that the new iMacs will be split...

20": 2.2GHz

* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1GB memory

* 160GB hard drive1

* 8x double-layer SuperDrive

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM

$1,199.00

20" 2.4GHz

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 2GB memory

* 250GB hard drive1

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

$1,499.00

24" 2.4GHz

* 2GB memory

* 500GB hard drive1

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 512MB SDRAM

$1,799.00

• Reply 34 of 133
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

I think the combo drive is dead folks, i do not see the point in including it anymore.

I also think that a look at the MBP's is the best indication of the way that the new iMacs will be split...

20": 2.2GHz

* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1GB memory

* 120GB hard drive1

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM

$1,199.00

20" 2.4GHz

* 2GB memory

* 250GB hard drive1

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

$1,499.00

24" 2.4GHz

* 2GB memory

* 500GB hard drive1

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 512MB SDRAM

$1,799.00

So the lowest-end model will go from a price-point of $999 to $1,199? I don't think so.
  • Reply 35 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

So the lowest-end model will go from a price-point of $999 to $1,199? I don't think so.

mmm.. I see your point, but i also see the original article that says the low end model would be $1199.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but i like to read the article before i make a comment.
  • Reply 36 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

mmm.. I see your point, but i also see the original article that says the low end model would be $1199.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but i like to read the article before i make a comment.

And thinksecret and macrumors seem to have independent sources telling them the same $1199.

ie. Apple PR seems to be spreading the sour $200 news quietly and pre-emptively, so not to ruin the mood tomorrow.

AND I hope for a sweet new cheap mac mini- there's a lot of room between $1199 and zero.
  • Reply 37 of 133
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios View Post

ireland-

I was gonna buy a shamrock and just route it to my facebook page as a joke, but its a bit too much for a shenanigans like that though. A novel idea however, I will be checking into it in the future.

Mac: But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun!

Thorny: (referring to Farva) Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic.

Foster: (after a pause) Which... makes them not really shenanigans at all.

Mac: (in a silly voice) Evil shenanigans!

What is this talk of thorny bushes, shamrocks, and shenanigans? Sounds lik e time for a Susan McKeown standard Ord Mhle Gra (A Thousand Times My Love).
  • Reply 38 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Apple wouldn't really surprise me with this. They dropped their low end iBook at $999 and replaced it with the low end MacBook at $1099. More than a year later, it's the same price.

Keep in mind, if it's true, you'd be getting a bigger screen for your $200 in addition to whatever else might be improved.
  • Reply 39 of 133
    Quote:

Ok. NOT EVERYONE WANTS AN INTEGRATED DISPLAY. We need a minitower of some sort, with decent graphics and CPU, without an integrated display, at the iMac price point.

• Reply 40 of 133
    Quote:

Maybe Mac Pro will be given a new partner, a screen with a camera....