Last minute iMac and Mac mini rumors

Comments

• Reply 101 of 133
    I actually work in an industry where we buy thousands of computers, monitors, and printers every year. What I've been hearing (from an industry perspective, not a mac perspective) is that in the 6th Generation Glass Panel factories that are currently online, they can actually cut more 22" widescreen displays from a single sheet of glass than they can 20" displays. Therefore the 22" displays are cheaper than the 20" displays. This is due mainly to the widescreen television market, but this market is driving the price and size of PC Monitors. Is it possible that either the middle price point or maybe even the low and middle price point of the new iMacs will be 22" widescreen displays with the high price point being a 24" display? Just thinking out loud.
  • Reply 102 of 133
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    i always preferred 19" over 17" and 22" over 20" though same resolution.

only 24" cannot goto 27" because of huge price difference.

hope 22" makes sense
  • Reply 103 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

i always preferred 19" over 17" and 22" over 20" though same resolution.

only 24" cannot goto 27" because of huge price difference.

hope 22" makes sense

yeah, from what I've heard, the difference in price between a 24" and a 26" or 27" is pretty huge, so I wouldn't expect those to be announced today, at least not for the high price point which is only $300 more than the middle price point.
  • Reply 104 of 133
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwclare View Post

I actually work in an industry where we buy thousands of computers, monitors, and printers every year. What I've been hearing (from an industry perspective, not a mac perspective) is that in the 6th Generation Glass Panel factories that are currently online, they can actually cut more 22" widescreen displays from a single sheet of glass than they can 20" displays. Therefore the 22" displays are cheaper than the 20" displays. This is due mainly to the widescreen television market, but this market is driving the price and size of PC Monitors. Is it possible that either the middle price point or maybe even the low and middle price point of the new iMacs will be 22" widescreen displays with the high price point being a 24" display? Just thinking out loud.

The 22" panels use a different type of substrate, and last I heard, are all 6 bit dithered panels, with lower effective viewing angles and I think that's why the panels are cheaper. So far that I've seen and heard, Apple's desktop displays & iMacs are all 8 bit panels. Also, Apple has stayed with 100ppi panels for desktops, the 22" is lower on the ppi, maybe just over 90ppi.
  • Reply 105 of 133
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    so 8bit panels better in quality than 6bit panels?

interesting technical information even though resolution is same
  • Reply 106 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The 22" panels use a different type of substrate, and last I heard, are all 6 bit dithered panels, with lower effective viewing angles and I think that's why the panels are cheaper. So far that I've seen and heard, Apple's desktop displays & iMacs are all 8 bit panels. Also, Apple has stayed with 100ppi panels for desktops, the 22" is lower on the ppi, maybe just over 90ppi.

That would make sense as to why Apple hasn't moved to a more industry standard monitor size. Again, I was just thinking out loud. Nice post by the way, I wasn't aware of some of the more complex details of glass panel manufacturing.
  • Reply 107 of 133
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Some fellow Americans like to overplay the perceived lower health care, I'm more convinced that they are carefully crafted talking points meant to scare people than has anything to do with reality.

Yep. All 40+ million of the uninsured are just parroting "carefully crafted talking points".

• Reply 108 of 133
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    If this is all Apple has to offer today, then this will be most boring Apple event in recent history. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.
  • Reply 109 of 133
    The mac mini to be continued.... "who ha!"

It is getting too weak and the price point is not all that low. Sure the HDTV set ups with it are cool, but the Hard drives are so weak and c'mon lets just make it part of the Apple TV family.

The new iMacs will be cool tho, there are the best for graphic design and with Leopard taking care of 64 bit architecture, that means that the imacs should be able to handle more than the 4gig threshold that a 32 OS provides.

however, they might just make it four and if you really want to make a digital dent, pressure you into getting the mac pro. Which, like, no one can afford.

-http://ThunkDifferent.com

• Reply 110 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

As opposed to having to eat crow about claiming the demise of the mini these past few weeks before its officially bumped.

They're pitching it as "lingering" on but if Apple does a bump...yah right. If they bother with a bump its going to be here another product cycle and AI was wrong about the mini going away. Good thing too.

Hopefully this isn't coupled with "Yah, and our source on the Mini getting the axe? Let go from Apple this afternoon..."

Vinea

Oh I'm not going to let that pass un-noticed, if the mini stays put, let me tell you

15 mins to go, by my reckoning, feels like Jan all over again.

{note too self} keep wild expectations at bay for one more hour
  • Reply 111 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appletweak View Post

I believe Macworld will be blogging live: http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08...vent/index.php.

So no keynote? You would think this would be a huge deal!

What do I need to watch the blog?

On a Mac Pro...thanks!

3 Web Browsers, hurry, quick, three minutes!
  • Reply 112 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

i'm referring to the reports of MBP graphics cards being seen in XP as 512mb cards, rather than the apple advertised 256. i hadn't seen any definitive word on this, if there have been any developments feel free to enlighten me, but please don't bite my head off again.

I hadn't heard about that. But I have heard reports that MB's running XP in bootcamp grant access to much more than 64 MB of shared video RAM under the GMA950. Something on the order of 224 MB if memory serves.
  • Reply 113 of 133
    As you would expect Apple Store is down, keeping fingers crossed about the new iMacs .

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...cts/AppleStore
  • Reply 114 of 133
    they still have the "chin". does not seem like such a progressive design, but i'll reserve judgement until i see it in person.
  • Reply 115 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

As you would expect Apple Store is down, keeping fingers crossed about the new iMacs .

Seems up now, no new imacs thougg...

So is it 2.8, if so, anyone know the cost or will we have to wait until the store is up!?

Thanks!
  • Reply 116 of 133
    Apple Store is up and running. Mac Mini has been quietly refreshed. 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM and 120 GB HDD. I'm placing my order now...

Works fine for me, check out the ad for the new iMacs.

http://www.apple.com/imac/ads/
  • Reply 117 of 133
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

Apple Store is up and running. Mac Mini has been quietly refreshed. 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM and 120 GB HDD. I'm placing my order now...

Works fine for me, check out the ad for the new iMacs.

http://www.apple.com/imac/ads/

Was working and then fell over for me. Got the "We'll be back soon" page.

I assume still GMA950?
  • Reply 118 of 133
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Was working and then fell over for me. Got the "We'll be back soon" page.

I assume still GMA950?

..... that would be tragic.... so still no HDCP?
  • Reply 119 of 133
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

..... that would be tragic.... so still no HDCP?

I'm thinking all they did was slap merom in there. They didn't even bother updating the Mini page on apple.com
  • Reply 120 of 133
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Looks like Apple Store couldn't keep up with the demand for new iMacs!