iWork 08

Comments

• Reply 121 of 143
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post

I had the iwork demo installed for all of 10 minutes. Once I realised that it couldn't open a simple Excel spreadsheet that I use for our household budget (and have used for years), everything was uninstalled. Thanks, but I'll stick with the power of Excel, Powerpoint (although Keynote is nice) and Word (and thus be able to share without converting). iWork is for those who are relatively isolated from other users (or Windows users), although I still struggle to figure out what the average family of four, who could use Pages to do letters and Numbers to track their budget, would use Keynote for?

Liar.
  • Reply 122 of 143
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I cringe when I see a graph in a journal article that came from Excel. You can do some great number crunching in Excel but I think the journal editors should reject anything that comes from the default Excel graph tool. Which goes for Numbers too because Numbers' graphs are a exact copy of all of Excel's mistakes.

I agree. The normal hum-drum graphs suck in both. Hopefully, Apple will implement some new features and more columns as matrices get a lot bigger than that easily.
  • Reply 123 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I agree. The normal hum-drum graphs suck in both. Hopefully, Apple will implement some new features and more columns as matrices get a lot bigger than that easily.

Agreed. Excel charts are quite bad, SPSS even worse (but getting better with each release).
  • Reply 124 of 143
    Quote:

I had the iwork demo installed for all of 10 minutes. Once I realised that it couldn't open a simple Excel spreadsheet that I use for our household budget (and have used for years), everything was uninstalled. Thanks, but I'll stick with the power of Excel, Powerpoint (although Keynote is nice) and Word (and thus be able to share without converting). iWork is for those who are relatively isolated from other users (or Windows users), although I still struggle to figure out what the average family of four, who could use Pages to do letters and Numbers to track their budget, would use Keynote for?

Keynote could easily be used to make a QuickTime movie (of a slideshow) detailing a trip your family made. I have been doing this for years as it gives a little more control than just iPhoto and/or iMovie. You can add lots of text and even mini movies which really make the presentation great.
  • Reply 125 of 143
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Originally Posted by chatoyer

[QUOTE=meelash;1129119

Liar.

Meelash, for once I agree with you 100% ....... Great post.
  • Reply 126 of 143
    Quote:

Office does the same thing. Nothing "brilliant" there.

You're right .... if Office does it , it can't be "brilliant"
  • Reply 127 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Liar.

I look forward, with much anticipation of course, to an articulate post that is longer than two syllables.

Impress me.
  • Reply 128 of 143
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

I had the iwork demo installed for all of 10 minutes. Once I realised that it couldn't open a simple Excel spreadsheet that I use for our household budget (and have used for years),

How can it be it can't import a simple Excel spreadsheet when they have Office 2007 import announced?

Did you make any attempt to solve the problem? Save in a different Excel format perhaps, and re-import? Looking at precisely what this 1.0, $26 app can't import?
    Quote:

everything was uninstalled.

... guess not, and then you gave up on two mature apps without even looking. Can I assume if Powerpoint 2008 gives you a hiccup, you'll uninstall Excel and Word immediately?
    Quote:

Thanks, but I'll stick with the power of Excel, Powerpoint (although Keynote is nice) and Word (and thus be able to share without converting).

.. because you must put up with whatever Excel comes with?
    Quote:

iWork is for those who are relatively isolated from other users (or Windows users), although I still struggle to figure out what the average family of four, who could use Pages to do letters and Numbers to track their budget, would use Keynote for?

I'm used to mostly releasing stuff in plaintext, PDF, HTML or printed form, because that's the intelligent and polite thing to do. What we use inside a project team, plaintext, RTF, LaTeX, Word, etc. doesn't matter to the outside. If iWork had zero compatibility with Office, a full department could be using iWork and none would be the wiser, except they'd probably come up with nicer documents. But I think iWork actually has pretty good compatibility.

So iWork isn't just for isolated families. It's also for institutions and businesses whose data handling culture is not stuck in the late 90's.
  • Reply 129 of 143
    I thought the simple, short relay was pretty sufficient, but I guess not.

Sounded a little like a troll, especially as it was a first post and was not followed up on quickly. Still smells troll-like, but I guess we should give it a chance.

Ten minutes, and one app to toss three?

I have used Pages and Keynote professionally for years and have had won wonderful success with both. I am in education and I write my own teaching materials, from textbooks to classroom presentations to presentations for conferences to iPod study materials to - well, I create a wide range of stuff and it looks fantastic (if I my say so myself). sure, I have put stuff together in Office, but it took twice as long and did not have the polished look (I've also used Office for many years) because I was required to by a trollish boss who prayed to the MS throne daily).

My family finances have been moved over to Numbers, as have those of my neighbor, who is the business-manager of a large company. He has started using Numbers for all of his presentations at work because of the ease with which a great-looking sheet can be made.

Keynote: I use it for straight, stand-up and talk presentations as well as for creating QuickTime movies with lovely animations that my students can download to their PCs, Macs, and iPods to help them study. I am currently working on a tour guide for my town (a friend at a large company requested it as they will has several guests this winter); it comes in two versions, one including sub-titles.

At home, we use Pages for practically everything imaginable, Numbers now runs our finances, and Keynote is used to make photo slideshows that are a step above the basic ones found in iPhoto.

Ten minutes is all it took for me to see the power of Numbers and to find the new powers in Pages and Keynote and to start envisioning how to incorporate them into my work.
  • Reply 130 of 143
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I've never seen a bigger pack of Apple Fan Boys since Numbers came out. The RDF is barely on 2 and everyone is devoted
  • Reply 131 of 143
    Quote:

I look forward, with much anticipation of course, to an articulate post that is longer than two syllables.

Impress me.

Less is more
  • Reply 132 of 143
    Can totally see how my first post would have been seen as a troll, and I offer apologies right now for my second post to meelash: it was uncalled for and totally unnecessary.

This coming weekend, if I get a chance, I shall re-install the iWork and play around.

On a totally unrelated topic (!), I'm in the process of giving Mail, Address Book and iCal a try (again). Have been using Entourage since I switched from XP Pro in November. The three apple apps never really got their fare shake from me!
  • Reply 133 of 143
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Can totally see how my first post would have been seen as a troll, and I offer apologies right now for my second post to meelash: it was uncalled for and totally unnecessary.

This coming weekend, if I get a chance, I shall re-install the iWork and play around.

On a totally unrelated topic (!), I'm in the process of giving Mail, Address Book and iCal a try (again). Have been using Entourage since I switched from XP Pro in November. The three apple apps never really got their fare shake from me!

Good man!

....Damn it! Still less than two syllables!

Welcome to the forums
  • Reply 134 of 143
    Quote:

That's a little better! Glad we gave you a chance. Welcome to AI!

Before you sit down with iWork, you might want to get a few family pictures and maybe video into your machine; iPhoto and iMovie - yes, '08 will do fine despite all the blab on the bnoards - will do the trick. You can then use these (accessing them right form the iWork apps) to make your first family newsletter in Pages and perhaps a presentation about your family and home in Keynote. It's always better if you have something familiar to play with. You can then impress the fam! You can even use numbers to plan your next car purchase and then copy the tables and graphs and drop them into your Keynote presentation or your Pages thingy. The beauty behind the apps is the sharing they do, not only in UI similarity but also in data.

Have fun!
  • Reply 135 of 143
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

I've never seen a bigger pack of Apple Fan Boys since Numbers came out. The RDF is barely on 2 and everyone is devoted

Maybe we like it because it's a good product?
  • Reply 136 of 143
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Maybe we like it because it's a good product?

Unpossible! Excel obviously is better, you silly fanboi, because it has spreadsheet grids *and* tables! Numbers only has one unified data type for both! 2 > 1! Therefore, Excel > Numbers, QED.

Duh.
  • Reply 137 of 143
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Unpossible! Excel obviously is better, you silly fanboi, because it has spreadsheet grids *and* tables! Numbers only has one unified data type for both! 2 > 1! Therefore, Excel > Numbers, QED.

Duh.

Numbers= Easy to use and innovation consumer product.

Excel= Difficult to use run of the mill, but feature rich professional product.
  • Reply 138 of 143
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Duh.

Still, at least Apple's office equivalents support SMS

• Reply 139 of 143
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ohhhh, you're a wily one...
  • Reply 140 of 143
    Quote:

Impress me.

Why should he try to impress someone with only 4 posts?