Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 141 of 433
    I don't get it..

When seeing Apple's getamac ads they say using a mac is fun.

It is fun to play with and they look good and stylisch, better then a normal PC with Windows..

But these new iMac computers look like work and very boring to me, they are all gray and dont have the cool look anymore. the iMac's look like those ugly HP or Compac widescreen notebooks.. they have the same black border also... And that's.... really ugly!!

I hope Apple will present an new line of desktop Computers in Sept/Okt when introducing OSX 10.5 I don't think apple will introduce 10.5 quietly, so there will be an oppertunity to introduce new products..

My guesses are that a new range of colored Macs will follow, these new iMacs are just way to boring and I can't imaging seeing a gray one in a movie or so...

Also, there should be a 17" desktop, for some places (in the livingroom) 20" or 24" is just to big..

Regards Rick (a sad Apple Fan)

Ps. i do like the aiport extreme upgrade to GB ethernet..
  • Reply 142 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

2 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD should be offered in both the high end models in 20" and 24"

It's offered, just not for free. I think you mean standard.
  • Reply 143 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Like the 3.0ghz Quad core Xeon X5365 in the Mac Pro, Apple is getting it while its in limited production.

ic, i thought so, will be interesting to note the specs of the CPU, may be more L2 cache
  • Reply 144 of 433
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

It's glass, which can be easily cleaned, and easily made non-glossy (if you want to.

Not sure how you make it non-glossy (sandpaper?) but I do like the industrial rugged cleanable aspect to the glass.
  • Reply 145 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's offered, just not for free. I think you mean standard.

yep, i mean standard. from 512 MB to 1 GB to 2 GB Now.
  • Reply 146 of 433
    Quote:

Funny, I paid $1799.

When you factor in inflation, that works out to be about the price of the base Mac Pro.
  • Reply 147 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Repeat after me (10 times): "The new iMac has a black back ?"

? and it has an aluminum helmet. Another great feat by Ive & his team. The computer is finally becoming a piece of furniture, ready to merge into the living room. Now, if they only replace the white remote by an aluminum nanoesque remote with click wheel.

Does it really fit that way? Nothing else I know of that's conventionally marketed for the home living room is aluminum & black.
  • Reply 148 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickertb View Post

I don't get it..

It is fun to play with and they look good and stylisch, better then a normal PC with Windows..

What's so fun about mental institution white?
  • Reply 149 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme ???

-----------------------------------

Intel site lists 2.6 Ghz, is it a typo or overclocking from 2.6Ghz?

Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme processor2 June '07 (6/3)July '07 (7/22)% Decrease

Mobile (FCPGA6)

X7800 (4M L2 cache 2.60 GHz 800 MHz FSB 65nm) - $851 -

from the CPU price list

seems this time, apple site got lots of problem, many times down and typo as well,

steve said 20" 20 " 24" config, website came with 20" 20" 24" 24" configs

Since Apple moved to Intel they have been getting processors before their Windows counterparts. Don't for the 3GHz Xeons either.
  • Reply 150 of 433
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Not sure how you make it non-glossy (sandpaper?)

• Reply 151 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radiospace View Post

For me the new iMac is kind of disappointing, particularly from an industrial design standpoint. I was hoping to lose the chin or at least see it shrink in a very noticeable fashion, or in lieu of that change, a design that allowed the vertical position of the monitor to be adjusted (as on many flatscreen monitors now offered by competitors).

In photographs I don't think it looks all that good, in fact I'd say I strongly prefer the look of the outgoing model. I "get" the iPhone reference in the design but I don't think it's really working here, primarily because of the silver chin.

Finally I'm especially disappointed in the glossy screen as the inherent reflections are distracting and irritating to me. I especially do not like a glossy black border around a display.

That said, I'm glad many here seem to dig the new look and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new iMacs. When I get a chance to see one in person I'll be prepared to be pleasantly surprised, despite my many reservations. I do think the new keyboards look great, though I'm befuddled as to why one should have to give up the number pad in order to have bluetooth functionality. (Given that my current bluetooth Apple keyboard has a number pad which is pretty much a necessary tool for some of my applications.)

I don't agree with that at all. I think this is a beautiful machine, much better than the old ones, which looked pretty good when they came out.

Some guys will never be happy.
  • Reply 152 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

When you factor in inflation, that works out to be about the price of the base Mac Pro.

When you factor in the way computer prices have declined, it's about the same price as the $1299 G4/G5.
  • Reply 153 of 433
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

i'm sorry! i thought the original poster wanted to know if that was a mistake on the people who wrote a wired keyboard is required when he wrote this:

which is not a mistake because the old ones had that too... when i bought my wireless keyboard and mouse they had that written in the requirements.

Please just give up on this would you?

I originally brought up this point because on the apple site: www.apple.com/keyboard

it states that the wireless keyboard requires an existing keyboard for setup which is a questionable statement since I ordered my MacPro with wireless and it did not require a wired keyboard or mouse to set up. Hence the the remark "This must be a mistake".

In addition, the new iMacs can also be ordered with only a wireless keyboard and mouse if you so desire and I'm positive there will be no problem pairing them up.

Sadly, everything you have written so far on this topic has been utterly false and completely ignorant. I'm sorry but this is all I am saying. The stated requirement on the web site appears to be an error.
  • Reply 154 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickertb View Post

I don't get it..

But these new iMac computers look like work and very boring to me, they are all gray and dont have the cool look anymore. the iMac's look like those ugly HP or Compac widescreen notebooks.. they have the same black border also... And that's.... really ugly!!

I hope Apple will present an new line of desktop Computers in Sept/Okt when introducing OSX 10.5 I don't think apple will introduce 10.5 quietly, so there will be an oppertunity to introduce new products..

My guesses are that a new range of colored Macs will follow, these new iMacs are just way to boring and I can't imaging seeing a gray one in a movie or so...

Also, there should be a 17" desktop, for some places (in the livingroom) 20" or 24" is just to big..

Regards Rick (a sad Apple Fan)

Ps. i do like the aiport extreme upgrade to GB ethernet..

You should clean your eyeballs.
  • Reply 155 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

Once Again. I'm reiterating. The display is glossy because it's glass! Not like the Macbook glossy screens that you can't put stuff on without risking damage. It's glass, which can be easily cleaned, and easily made non-glossy (if you want to.

And I'm re-iterating: I don't like a glossy screen. (And apparently, I'm not alone.)

I don't care whether it is glossy because it is glass, or because someone wetted it with olive oil. The fact that it can be easily cleaned is absolutely irrelevant. If the screen was made out of bathroom tile it could also be easily cleaned... and would of course display nothing but grout. So what?

Your "solution" of covering the screen with a "non-glossy applique" will certainly solve the gloss problem... while almost certainly degrading the image.

It seems you just don't get it. Some people like a super-high quality, non-glossy screen, and are willing to choose their computer in order to support their monitor preference rather settle for patched together workarounds. If you love a glossy monitor I'm pleased for your sake that they are making the product your heart desires. For me it is a disappointment.
  • Reply 156 of 433
    Quote:

When you factor in the way computer prices have declined, it's about the same price as the $1299 G4/G5.

No, it's not. You have to figure in inflation. When you consider the way computer prices have declined, a $1799 product sold today (the same model) it would cost $1400. But with inflation $1799 in 1999 is worth $2300 today.

Try this, but remember, so far, it only goes to 2006. At the end of the year he will update it for 2007.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
  • Reply 157 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

so am i the only person here who thinks this new iMac is repusevely ugly and it looks like a cheap mock up of the old iMac by an amateur?

You are not alone!
  • Reply 158 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackPepper View Post

You are not alone!

i agree!
  • Reply 159 of 433
    jamesgjamesg Posts: 63member
    I am actually somewhat disappointed in the design and the inability to specify a non-glossy screen.

The MacBook we have here is very difficult to see under fluorescent lighting conditions. I purposefully got a MacBook Pro so that I could get a "normal" non-glare screen.

Regarding the black border, I presume it's to reduce glare as mentioned and for some sort of color/contrast correction. However, it's very ugly. They might as well have made the entire front of the unit black.

To the reader whose wife just got a 20" white model: Be grateful. It's possible the remaining quantity of those machines will be in high demand. I know I am going to try to get one. I also lament the absence of a mini-tower in the product line. The MacPro tower is both enormous and loud, and the MacMini seems a bit inadequate.
  • Reply 160 of 433
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Quote:

I thought it was just the notebooks that had 6 bit displays.

Any panel that uses TN Film is 6-bit.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm

Someone mentioned the 24" uses a S-PVA panel - I would have preferred S-IPS myself, but both types are true 8-bit display panels.