Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 161 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Since Apple moved to Intel they have been getting processors before their Windows counterparts. Don't for the 3GHz Xeons either.

thanks, got it. would be interesting to see any specs different from 2.6 Ghz model
  • Reply 162 of 433
    Looks terrific to me. And 1TB hard drive for movies.
  • Reply 163 of 433
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesG View Post

The MacPro tower is both enormous and loud, and the MacMini seems a bit inadequate.

Loud? I'm sitting next to my Mac Pro (on the floor next to my desk). You can barely hear the fan and I'm guessing its the one on the vid card. There's very little other ambient noise.

Vinea
  • Reply 164 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

yep, i mean standard. from 512 MB to 1 GB to 2 GB Now.

i take back my initial comment of 2GB RAM, atleast now it is one single stick of 1GB RAM, even though i like 2GB to be standard in the two of high end models.

now, it is easier to buy one single stick of either 1 GB or 2GB ram and put into iMac.

is it easier to upgrade HDD?

CPU soldered rite?
  • Reply 165 of 433
    jamesgjamesg Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Holy 'Yosemite!'. The G3/400 was introduced in 1999 with up to 128 MB RAM and a 12 GB drive for $2999 and you have the nerve to make such a statement. You have to be kidding.

If you haven't gotten married yet, I would suggest that you don't buy your fiance a ring without her being there.

An uncalled for comment, to be sure. He was referring to the form factor and case design of the G3 and G4 towers, which a lot of people really enjoyed.
  • Reply 166 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Feel like the new design of the iMac is a bit like what happened with BMW a few years back when they re-designed the new 5 series. A misstep. I don't like the black border and the whole thing has a slightly "cheap" feel to it. I would have prefered a black back and all brushed aluminum surface. The front now feels like some of those early cheap widescreen TVs made by Sony.

Has anyone actually sat down in front of one of these things and used it? I mean really...

I thought that the old white ones were plastic-y and cheap looking until I actually sat in front of one. It make a big difference. The iPhone's were the same way, IMO.
  • Reply 167 of 433
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackPepper View Post

I am kinda disappointed in the new design. What is that black frame over the screen? I can't have a computer like this, it bothers my eyes. The old ones were better. Unfortunately, they again did something they think great, but it's not..

My sentiments exactly. The black border around the screen is not only ugly, but would be incredibly distracting to me. Also, what's up with the black on black Apple on the cheap ass looking plastic back cover? Retarded.

The white on white iMacs were much more aesthetically pleasing then these new models, which IMO, are just fugly. The white/black color scheme is not well done. This is all superficial, of course, but a step backwards as far as I'm concerned.

And no, I don't need to sit in front of one to say this. I am not blind.
  • Reply 168 of 433
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesG View Post

An uncalled for comment, to be sure. He was referring to the form factor and case design of the G3 and G4 towers, which a lot of people really enjoyed.

Like hell!
  • Reply 169 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

And no, I don't need to sit in front of one to say this. I am not blind.

It just seems to me that several folks are passing judgement on something that they haven't even seen. To expand, I thought the iPhone looked clunky and cheap. But when you actually hold one and use it...(sigh)

The black borders, for the iPhone, really add depth and contrast to the device and make the display really pop. I think that's the reasoning behind the black border for the new iMac.
  • Reply 170 of 433
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harrison View Post

It just seems to me that several folks are passing judgement on something that they haven't even seen. To expand, I thought the iPhone looked clunky and cheap. But when you actually hold one and use it...(sigh)

The black borders, for the iPhone, really add depth and contrast to the device and make the display really pop. I think that's the reasoning behind the black border for the new iMac.

i think a big problem with this design is it's similarity with the previous iMac, which most of us hated... i, for one, was expecting something breath taking... and got this.

it's so bad it looks like it was made by dell
  • Reply 171 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

i think a big problem with this design is it's similarity with the previous iMac, which most of us hated... i, for one, was expecting something breath taking... and got this.

Ewww, don't say that! But I see what you're getting at. The infamous "chin" is still there too, albeit less Jay Leno-like.

I don't know. I just can't say this is a bad design. They are obviously getting cues from the iPhone, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that new iPods later this year will have similar designs.

I've actually got Dell screens at work with black/silver edges and the contrast is actually quite nice compared to the white (or "PC white" which is matte grayish). But I guess we're just discussing preference now huh?
  • Reply 172 of 433
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Exactly what did you expect from an all in one design that has design restraints because of the equipment inside?

How much different can it be?

Obviously everyone was expecting the "floating in thin air display, with invisible enclosure".
  • Reply 173 of 433
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    The 2.8MHz Core Duo 2 Extreme (x7900) has the exact same feature set as the 2.6MHz (x7600). The only difference is clockspeed and price.
  • Reply 174 of 433
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

My sentiments exactly. The black border around the screen is not only ugly, but would be incredibly distracting to me.

Black borders around a display is probably the least distracting option as a matte black surfe is neutral and low-reflection. Most of the high end LCD monitors (except Apple) have black borders around them. I find the aliminum border around Apple Cinema Displays quite distracting.
  • Reply 175 of 433
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

That is because most people on the forum will never be happy with anything. Even if they introduced a teleportation and time traveling device that fits in you pocket, someone would still complain about it.

Just think of the quote, "If your not having fun, lower your standards."

Also, people prefer differnt looks. I hate the gaming pc look with the neon lights beause i think it looks cheap and shitty. I like the simplicity of most of apple products.
  • Reply 176 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Black borders around a display is probably the least distracting option as a matte black surfe is neutral and low-reflection. Most of the high end LCD monitors (except Apple) have black borders around them. I find the aliminum border around Apple Cinema Displays quite distracting.

Plus, the aluminum blends into the screen. With a black border, the illuminated areas are clearly defined and makes images and programs with black backgrounds look really sleek.
  • Reply 177 of 433
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme ???

-----------------------------------

Intel site lists 2.6 Ghz, is it a typo or overclocking from 2.6Ghz?

Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme processor2 June '07 (6/3)July '07 (7/22)% Decrease

Mobile (FCPGA6)

X7800 (4M L2 cache 2.60 GHz 800 MHz FSB 65nm) - $851 -

from the CPU price list

seems this time, apple site got lots of problem, many times down and typo as well,

steve said 20" 20 " 24" config, website came with 20" 20" 24" 24" configs

Ignore if already mentioned: It's the Low Power Laptop:

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...e2xe/index.htm

Intel® Core™2 Extreme mobile processor

Experience the world's highest performing mobile processor². Bar none. Now you have the performance to play the latest multi-threaded games anywhere, with the Intel® Core™2 Extreme dual-core mobile processor X7800.

4 MB of shared L2 cache

800 MHz front-side bus

The processor can be fabbed at a higher rate.
  • Reply 178 of 433
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

I like the simplicity of most of apple products.

that's the thing tho.. this design is anything but simple. i know it's gonna be hard for a computer to be as amazing as the iMac G4, but this one its too weird.. maybe i'll get used to it? but for now for someone reason it doesn't look like it belongs on the apple website
  • Reply 179 of 433
    I have to agree with the people who don't like the new Imac... the glossy screen is silly! It's difficult at best to work on a glossy monitor if you're anywhere near a window and most of us have windows in our offices and further most people want big windows in their offices especially the execs, photographers and designers apple is marketing to. Aluminum is cool but why the black? It makes the imac look like a cheap piece of electronic gadgetry. Almost like the iphone which is a complete piece of consumer gadgetry in my opinion. Multi touch is so much more revolutionary than the iphone reveals I hate the fact that apple chose the iphone for it's first venture into multitouch. Still waiting for the elusive tablet and most people right about now are thinking OMG another tablet dork but I think for casual computing and interfacing it's a brilliant option. I've been using my converted macbook for several months now for character designing and I love it. I know apple could do it better but they haven't tried at all. "back to black"... If you have to make the new imac "look that cool" then you're lending to the perception that you're being cheated in some way, it looks cheap like the zune or some friggin glossy cheap boombox from the 80's. Don't try so hard apple.. the aluminum display was cool enough. i like the fact that it comes standard with 1 gb of ram now.. to be honest that was the only thing I thought was a bitch when I purchased a couple of 24" imacs "off the shelf" but my crew has loved them otherwise now that they've got the full 3 gb's of ram. Do the new Imacs support 4gb yet? that would be a huge plus but then I suppose you'd want to edit on the thing and Apple couldn't force you to buy a tower for FCP (4gb of ram recommended) if you're only into "firewire" capture and output or even better offline editing which we have a huge need for inexpensive "offline edit suites". Towers minus the decklink extreme etc etc have worked well for us but a sleek little imac would be "tits" in my frugal opinion. I think the chin should have been dealt with as well, but my wife loves it for her post-its and others have said does make it 'easy to grab' so I guess some people can appreciate it. The glossy display is definitely going to make me wait for a non glossy version of the display to come out or buy something else even though our studio needs a couple more imacs for lite photography and design stuff we have huge windows in our studios and my assistants glossy macbook stinks in terms of the glare problems she has... guess I should start looking on ebay for "sealed in box" imacs now.... not cool cuz i hate ebay... nice try apple looking forward to the next revision!
  • Reply 180 of 433
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Like the 3.0ghz Quad core Xeon X5365 in the Mac Pro, Apple is getting the X7900 while its still in limited production.

This is highly unlikely. Do you actually have any evidence of the X7900 part number?

What is much, much more likely is that it is an X7800 clocked at 2.8 GHz. The Core 2 Extremes have their multiplier "unlocked", so OEMs can run them at any speed they feel comfortable with.