Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Comments

• Reply 181 of 286
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Nahh.

Suck it up, man.

Sure, the playoffs are out. But we still have a chance to beat the Giants and the Cowboys. Sometimes you just got to make the best of what you got. Helping the Giants to a Mets-like skid would be fun!

And beating the Cowboys always gives me the warm fuzzies in a violent, football sort of way...

That is true. I'm not saying I won't watch, I just know it's over now.
  • Reply 182 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

No offense SDW2001, but as a long time die hard NYGiants fan, YES!!!!!

I hate the that team more than all of the other teams in the NFL combined.

But, I am worried about playing you guys this week. Those games are almost always rough and tumble slugfests.

Question: Why do you hate the Eagles? I don't know many people that do, even if they don't like them.

I hate teams for specific reasons. For example, Tony Romo has a shit eating grin on his face and Terrell Owens is big cry baby. Bill Bellichick is a classless, cheating, asshole (and it's reflected in his team's conduct).... and Tom Brady looks like he's right of of GQ.
  • Reply 183 of 286
    He probably hates Philly fans.

How can you not? You guys fuckin' booed Santa Claus.
  • Reply 184 of 286
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Yeah, About that.

How come everybody automatically takes Santa's side?

I say the bum deserved it!
  • Reply 185 of 286
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    So, do the Patriots have a deal with Satan himself, or what?

Baltimore/Pats was the craziest end to a game I've seen, ever.

If I was the Baltimore owner, I'd fire whoever called that timeout right at the snap that negated the potential game winning play. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And what was up with the officiating? I'm sure that the Ravens deserved many of those penalties, but it sure felt like they were rooting for N.E.

That winning catch was clearly being juggled on the replay IMHO, but I suppose whoever was in the booth didn't have the chutzpah to overturn it.

I have to admit that the Patriots did play hard, but so many breaks seem to go their way.

Sigh. \
  • Reply 186 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

So, do the Patriots have a deal with Satan himself, or what?

Baltimore/Pats was the craziest end to a game I've seen, ever.

If I was the Baltimore owner, I'd fire whoever called that timeout right at the snap that negated the potential game winning play. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And what was up with the officiating? I'm sure that the Ravens deserved many of those penalties, but it sure felt like they were rooting for N.E.

That winning catch was clearly being juggled on the replay IMHO, but I suppose whoever was in the booth didn't have the chutzpah to overturn it.

I have to admit that the Patriots did play hard, but so many breaks seem to go their way.

Sigh. \

Dude, as someone that HATES the Patriots, I think you're way off base.

1. The catch was not being juggled. The ball was not moving at all. It was clearly a touchdown.

2. The officials did their job. I am very critical of calls when I think they're not correct, and I thought they did a good job. The Ravens did it to themselves.
  • Reply 187 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Dude, as someone that HATES the Patriots, I think you're way off base.

1. The catch was not being juggled. The ball was not moving at all. It was clearly a touchdown.

I don't know, it looked to me like it was balancing on his fingertips before he went out of bounds. Even the commentators noted that it was a debatable TD. I'd agree that it was a close call, back before instant replay that play would not of been in question.

Quote:

2. The officials did their job. I am very critical of calls when I think they're not correct, and I thought they did a good job. The Ravens did it to themselves.

Like I said, I'm sure the Ravens deserved those penalties, it just seemed like more flags were flying against them in the final 4 or 5 minutes. Probably they just had mental breakdowns. This is entirely subjective though, being that I don't have a tape of the game.

While there is some controversy, apparently it is unbased.
  • Reply 188 of 286
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Question: Why do you hate the Eagles? I don't know many people that do, even if they don't like them.

I hate teams for specific reasons. For example, Tony Romo has a shit eating grin on his face and Terrell Owens is big cry baby. Bill Bellichick is a classless, cheating, asshole (and it's reflected in his team's conduct).... and Tom Brady looks like he's right of of GQ.

Buddy Ryan. I read that he had some kind of deal (I guess it was a bounty) with some of his players to deliberately injure other players (I don't mean bruises, I'm talking serious season ending injuries). I don't go for this kind of play. A single game ending bruise is ok with me.

I agree 100% with your assessments of the other teams.
  • Reply 189 of 286
    Quote:

Buddy Ryan. I read that he had some kind of deal (I guess it was a bounty) with some of his players to deliberately injure other players (I don't mean bruises, I'm talking serious season ending injuries). I don't go for this kind of play. A single game ending bruise is ok with me.

I agree 100% with your assessments of the other teams.

Is Buddy Ryan the coach now? Do you also hate the Giants because Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Montana's hand in 1990?
  • Reply 190 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

I don't know, it looked to me like it was balancing on his fingertips before he went out of bounds. Even the commentators noted that it was a debatable TD. I'd agree that it was a close call, back before instant replay that play would not of been in question.

Debatable yes. Controversial? No. The ball was not moving in his hands, which is the key. Not sure what you mean by the last part. It was ruled a touchdown on the field, so of course it wouldn't be in question. Perhaps that is what you meant.

Quote:

Like I said, I'm sure the Ravens deserved those penalties, it just seemed like more flags were flying against them in the final 4 or 5 minutes. Probably they just had mental breakdowns. This is entirely subjective though, being that I don't have a tape of the game.

Well, I hear you about being subjective. I said before I thought that one ref that did a lot of Eagles games sounded excited when he called against them. My issue is when you say they were rooting for the Pats. That really doesn't make sense.

Quote:

While there is some controversy, apparently it is unbased.

There's only "controversy" because the article says there is. I don't think there is any controversy at all. Any that exists is illegitimate, as shown by the link.
  • Reply 191 of 286
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I like and respect McNabb and some of the other Eagles as football players, but I hate the Eagles mainly because of their fans.

And my hatred of the Eagles and their classless fans began on Sunday, November 10, 1999 - and that hatred will never end or wane in its intensity.

Anything bad that happens to them as a team only brings me joy.

Incidentally, my main client at work is a born and raised Philly fan (his favorite expression is "douche" ) and we have some lively arguments when football season rolls around.
  • Reply 192 of 286
    Quote:

Debatable yes. Controversial? No. The ball was not moving in his hands, which is the key. Not sure what you mean by the last part. It was ruled a touchdown on the field, so of course it wouldn't be in question. Perhaps that is what you meant.

Upon further review, I guess it falls into the 'not enough clear evidence to overturn' category.

I still think he was juggling the ball though...

On the subject of the Patriots, can anyone beat them this year?

I think the Giants are a possibility, since they should be resting starters the final game of the year, but we're talking Bill Belichick here, he runs up the score and keeps his starters in when they're ahead by several touchdowns, week after week.

The Steelers have a strong shot, they are #1 in Total YPG, and #1 in Passing YPG. Should be an interesting match up with the Patriots having the #1 passing attack against the #1 pass defense. Theory says that defense should win that match up, but you never know with the Patriots, they just find ways to win games.

Personally, I think it would be beyond awesome if the Dolphins are the ones to beat them!
  • Reply 193 of 286
    Quote:

Is Buddy Ryan the coach now? Do you also hate the Giants because Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Montana's hand in 1990?

If the owner(s) of the team had at least reprimanded and fined him, maybe I would have a different point of view. I don't recall the fans complaining about him either. If a NYGiant coach ever did this, I would want him fired. And I wouldn't like it if one of the Giants players did a deliberate hit on somebody with what appeared to me to be intent to end his playing for the remainder of the season.

LT broke Montana's hand? I don't remember that. Are you thinking of Joe Thiesman's leg? If so, that wasn't purposely done by LT. I have seen a few recent hits on knees in the last few years and some of them look clearly to me like they were on purpose.

I can't believe you guys are favored by about 3 points. I wish McNabb was not ready to play until next week.
  • Reply 194 of 286
    Quote:

LT broke Montana's hand? I don't remember that. Are you thinking of Joe Thiesman's leg? If so, that wasn't purposely done by LT. I have seen a few recent hits on knees in the last few years and some of them look clearly to me like they were on purpose.

He may be thinking of this:

Quote:

But the game will always be remembered for the vaporizing hit that Leonard Marshall put on Joe Montana in the fourth quarter, incurring a broken hand and other injuries that would knock Montana out of the 1991 season and ultimately end his career in San Francisco.

IIRC Marshall may have bent Montana's hand back, but I can't find a reference to it on the internet.
  • Reply 195 of 286
    Quote:

If the owner(s) of the team had at least reprimanded and fined him, maybe I would have a different point of view. I don't recall the fans complaining about him either. If a NYGiant coach ever did this, I would want him fired. And I wouldn't like it if one of the Giants players did a deliberate hit on somebody with what appeared to me to be intent to end his playing for the remainder of the season.

I can't believe you guys are favored by about 3 points. I wish McNabb was not ready to play until next week.

First, do you have evidence showing Buddy Ryan told players to injure other players? Secondly, do you believe the current management in the same as it was during his tenure? Thirdly, do you think Philly fans support that kind of thing?

As for Montana, yes, his had was broken in the playoffs in 1991 (during the 1990 season). My mistake though, it wasn't Taylor, it was Leonard Marshall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2767857
  • Reply 196 of 286
    That was the worst game ever.

Why did you have to fumble Roger?
  • Reply 197 of 286
    Quote:

First, do you have evidence showing Buddy Ryan told players to injure other players? Secondly, do you believe the current management in the same as it was during his tenure? Thirdly, do you think Philly fans support that kind of thing?

The only evidence I got is what I heard in the media.

I don't know who owns the team now. For all I know, its the same owners.

I don't recall the fans (and any talk of the media about the fans) publicly saying that it was wrong and that they disagreed with it.
  • Reply 198 of 286
    Quote:

The only evidence I got is what I heard in the media.

I don't know who owns the team now. For all I know, its the same owners.

I don't recall the fans (and any talk of the media about the fans) publicly saying that it was wrong and that they disagreed with it.

1. Not enough. That's a rumor.

2. Jeff Lurie does. He bought it in 1994. Ryan was the coach 86-91

3. So your evidence of support is "I didn't hear the media showing people who disagreed." Come on, dude. At least try.
  • Reply 199 of 286
    Ugh. 5-8.

So what did you all think of the game? I thought McNabb played well for the most part. He looks more like himself, though the offense is just out of sync still.

Now, I also think the officials had a great part in deciding this game. Just when I was about to say officials in general were doing a better job, I saw this game. There was the one Giants' fumble, which was debatable...but the whole thing was handled poorly. It was ruled a fumble, then overruled on the field. Then Reid challenges, and the announcers think it was likely a fumble. It goes the other way, which is fine as it was clos... but then the explanation is that the runner was down by contact. One problem...that was objectively false.

The worst was at the end of the game. Westbrook was literally held down and prevented from getting to the line for the next play. This was a clear violation that happened right in front of the official. The announcers were having a fit, and the officials just ignored it totally. It very likely changed the outcome of the game, as the Eagles probably lost a full play by having that happen. One more play could have been 5 or 10 yards and the difference in the missed field goal.

Anyway, perhaps a freak of nature will occur and they'll make the playoffs at 8-8 after pulling off a miracle in Dallas. Or not. Time to get ready for the draft. And Wing Bowl!
  • Reply 200 of 286
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    OK, so I know I shouldn't be happy right now, with a miserable season guaranteed.

But I am stoked!

Eagles beat the Cowboys in Dallas.

The Packers won, so big D is in the hot seat for home field advantage...

And there were three interceptions on balls thrown to TO.

YES!

It is a good day!