A True Desktop Class Mac, or another Cube?

Comments

• Reply 401 of 649
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

It's not so much that Apple are off with the iMac. Look at any COMPARABLE all in one from the PC sector? You'll be pleasantly surprised. Apple is whizzing on them with the iMac.

However, I think what you're getting at, if Apple filled in the MISSING sector in their desktop line up ie consumer tower line which is er...millions and millions of PCs...a big market...then...

Yeah that's right, I meant off in terms of what deals the market is offering not AIO vs tower. As far as AIOs go, I'd agree Apple's ones are better value than most although I prefer the design of Sony's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

The answer is that the iMac is not the same as the computer you compared it to. Apple doesn't make that computer. Compare it to a PC AIO and the story will be different.

That's not really a suitable answer to that question though. If a PC users asked you why you paid so much for an iMac when you could have bought that PC tower, what will you say? I *wanted* an iMac? What if you didn't want an iMac and the PC user knew you were looking for a mid-tower, your only answer will have to be to concede that Apple's products just aren't good enough, which makes you look completely stupid.

If you had done what people here suggested and bought a Mac Pro then surely that would be ok right? Not really because then they'd say so how much was your 2.0GHz quad with 2GB Ram and you'd have to say £1700 at which point they'd still laugh at you. You could have had a quad 2.4GHz for over £1000 less.
  • Reply 402 of 649
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    This article appeared in the November, 2007 issue of MacWorld. It originated from MW Forums.

"The mini is a great personal and business computer, inexpensive, powerful and inobtrusive.

Now Apple needs to gear up and bring out a small tower that will fit 2 hard drives, at least 4GB RAM and maybe a couple of slots. This would be the successor to the ill-fated Cube and the slightly younger brother to the Mac Pro."
  • Reply 403 of 649
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    And most of us couldn't agree more. It surely explains this thread.
  • Reply 404 of 649
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

And most of us couldn't agree more. It surely explains this thread.

Heh this thread??? What about the other 100 threads about the same topic? or the 100s of hijacked threads where it's one topic about games, or sales, or w/e and it turns into where is the headless mac thread . It is extremely obvious there is a VERY high interest in such a machine. Rest of you who don't believe that can go pound sand.
  • Reply 405 of 649
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

pound sand.

What movie is that from. I can't remember?
  • Reply 406 of 649
    Quote:

If you had done what people here suggested and bought a Mac Pro then surely that would be ok right? Not really because then they'd say so how much was your 2.0GHz quad with 2GB Ram and you'd have to say £1700 at which point they'd still laugh at you. You could have had a quad 2.4GHz for over £1000 less.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 407 of 649
    Quote:

Now Apple needs to gear up and bring out a small tower that will fit 2 hard drives, at least 4GB RAM and maybe a couple of slots. This would be the successor to the ill-fated Cube and the slightly younger brother to the Mac Pro."

Yeh... (Keeps watching the sky...)

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 408 of 649
    I'm not a fan of any of the cube shaped concepts, a tower is what the consumer and pro markets are asking for, it's what Apple should give them.
  • Reply 409 of 649
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

If a PC users asked you why you paid so much for an iMac when you could have bought that PC tower, what will you say? I *wanted* an iMac?

Well....yeah. Even though you are not one of them there are people who do want the iMac and enjoy it.

Quote:

What if you didn't want an iMac and the PC user knew you were looking for a mid-tower, your only answer will have to be to concede that Apple's products just aren't good enough, which makes you look completely stupid.

Outside of your imagination I haven't yet seen anyone in this situation.
  • Reply 410 of 649
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Well, maybe you haven't met them in person, but you've seen plenty of their posts here on AI. As someone pointed out, a mid-tower just keeps coming up over and over for the past several years, and it's not because we have nothing else to discuss.

• Reply 411 of 649
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

That's the major problem at work here. Like many Mac users you ignore anything outside the confines of the group.
  • Reply 412 of 649
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

In another thread, Kingston posted several URL's for mockups. One of them contained these pix of a mid tower. I WANT this computer or I'll throw a tantrum.
  • Reply 413 of 649
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

In another thread, Kingston posted several URL's for mockups. One of them contained these pix of a mid tower. I WANT this computer or I'll throw a tantrum.

One Word = Ventilation.

And yet, another word = white.

White is passe...
  • Reply 414 of 649
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    That machine looks very good and I would certainly buy one. I don't know if the price is a little unrealistic for the base spec but if the parts only add up to that great - desktop parts certainly are a good bit cheaper. I would be willing to pay up to the base iMac for that machine. This way the sales people can at least say when people ask about the iMac, well you get a 20" display with it for the same price. If the tower was much lower priced, most people would likely just get a cheap screen.

It would be good to know the dimensions though. If it's no more than 2/3 the size of a Mac Pro, that would be great. Weight is still an issue too if there are no handles. I guess Apple could always find a way to embed the handles into the case - this would keep the height down.
  • Reply 415 of 649
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

3 changes and I would definitely buy it.

1. Mac Pro cheese grater design. It needs front airflow.

2. Move front ports to top of case above the optical drives. Those who choose to mount it on the floor (which is probably the majority) will have a hard time reaching them on the very bottom of the case.

3. Hard only two hard drives. Having four in there really isn't to scale.
  • Reply 416 of 649
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Another great design. One may quibble with specifics, but for ease of use related to the interior and design elegance this would be hard to beat.

To bad we will never ever see this or any other such design. Jobs has made it absolutely clear in his AIO speech that consumers don't need any of these features. It's AIO or min forever.
  • Reply 417 of 649
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

It's AIO or min forever.

I'll wait for a three to four year old Mac Pro from eBay.

• Reply 418 of 649
    Yah, I'm getting pretty upset withi Jobs' stubburness. I place this squarely on his shoulders. I have friends at apple that have suggested desktop series macs only to be "shot down from high up". I think it's pretty sad when one person can be so opened minded as jobs and at the same time be so closed minded towards other things. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, there is definitely some team / work design issues over at Apple. One of my closer friends works there a TON of hours (more than 45 a week), is hardly ever home, hasn't had a vacation in quite some time, and hardly has any time to do anything. If i'm lucky I'll get him on aim a few times a month.

I really believe the whole Apple team is completel stretched thin with this iPhone, iPod, AppleTV, OS X, macs, and w/e else they may be planning. I think it's a little unfair to the employees. Apple needs to hire more people. Expand. They are a bigger company than 5 years ago. Quit punishing your employees and quit using old mac designs. Honestly it took them how long to update the iMac?? Over 1 year? The MBP had the same parts inside (besides the graphics card / harddrive) for how long before the iMac came out? The iMac and MB are the only 2 computers that have received true updates in over 3 years. Sounds to me like even if they WANTED to design a new desktop it'd still take another x amount of years just because they are stretched so thin... ran by slave master Jobs.
  • Reply 419 of 649
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

As someone pointed out, a mid-tower just keeps coming up over and over for the past several years, and it's not because we have nothing else to discuss.

But its mostly the same small group bringing up the issue. Most people on AI don't seem to care one way or the other.

Quote:

That's the major problem at work here. Like many Mac users you ignore anything outside the confines of the group.

No I have argued in the past that I see the usefulness of another Mac in the desktop line. At times the pro xMac people push their argument too far while ignoring other realities of the market and its direction. Only wanting to hear reasons that support the need for an xMac and going against any reason that an xMac is not necessary for Apple's future growth.
  • Reply 420 of 649
    Quote:

But its mostly the same small group bringing up the issue. Most people on AI don't seem to care one way or the other.

It's not the same small group. It has been brought up by people who merely sign up just to talk about it and chime in with their 2 cents. Not to mention in all the other mac forums on the internet. I hardly believe the exact same small group you mentioned trolls the programming forums, the support forums, the desktop publishing forums, the audio forums, the gaming forums, the video forums, etc. Sure some of us are dispersed throughout them, but there are many others who concur with "the same small group".