A True Desktop Class Mac, or another Cube?

Comments

• Reply 361 of 649
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The one that I don't agree on in that is that comparitivly Apples stuff isn't designed any more unique than most other manufacturers any more. Everybody else is starting to design things far cooler than Apples.

Not sure what you're comparing in this realm... laptops, desktops, servers, music players, phones... I'm going to assume you're talking strictly computers.

I have to say I still feel my macbook pro is far superior to all other PC laptops out there. As "cool" as some may look, they don't feel right, hardly use metal for an enclosure, and rarely are as thin. Just my opinion though. HOWEVER, everyone is starting to catch up fairly quickly, especially to the mac pro design. Cooler Master Cosmos anyone?
  • Reply 362 of 649
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member

Well, I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the recent OS news, and how it affects this discussion. Leopard requires a GHz G4 minimum to install. My office G4 has a 733 MHz G4. Further down the road, Mac OS 10.6 will only run on Intel processors, but that is over two years from now most likely.

For me, this news means I've got a purchase decission to make in the near future. I can get along with Tiger for a while, but I'll likely buy another Mac within six months. Will it be a new Mac prosumer tower? I have my doubts that Apple would build one by then, but if one existed that would be my first choice I believe -- not for the office, but to replace the G5 PowerMac for gaming and software development. My dual 1.25 GHz G4 that runs Logic Studio 8 will be okay for a few more years.

Since Apple shows no sign of building a prosumer mini tower Mac, I will be buying a used MacPro from eBay. Now some may say I should get an iMac for the office. Yet, I don't think that's a good idea. I want a large screen display, so it would be a pricey iMac, and I don't need current iMac performance in the office. A used MacPro is a far better choice, and then use it for games and software development.

• Reply 363 of 649
    I don't think the iMac is a bad machine at all, apart from its '3 years ago' PC gaming performance.

I still want that midi.

Lemon BOn Bon.
  • Reply 364 of 649
    I think apple offering refurbished machines is great. I bought my 2.33 mbp that way and I love it. It didn't have 1 dead pixel. It runs great. It comes with the same exact warranty as a brad new one... but with 15-19% off of msrp. So what's the downside to a refurb? The box it comes in.

I won't buy a used machine ever again. I don't care how desperate I am. There is just no telling what the hell that machine has gone through before you received it. And a refurbed machine is about the same price as a used machine on ebay.

Snoopy, hopefully by then the penryn mac pros will be out and the refurb price will drop a little bit on the mac pros.
  • Reply 365 of 649
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I think apple offering refurbished machines is great. I bought my 2.33 mbp that way and I love it. It didn't have 1 dead pixel. It runs great. It comes with the same exact warranty as a brad new one... but with 15-19% off of msrp. So what's the downside to a refurb? The box it comes in.

I won't buy a used machine ever again. I don't care how desperate I am. There is just no telling what the hell that machine has gone through before you received it. And a refurbed machine is about the same price as a used machine on ebay.

Snoopy, hopefully by then the penryn mac pros will be out and the refurb price will drop a little bit on the mac pros.

Where do the machines that Apple refurbishes come from? Aren't they used machines?
  • Reply 366 of 649
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Where do the machines that Apple refurbishes come from? Aren't they used machines?

Machines get returned after purchase for minor defects, or because one part is defective (like a hard drive or power supply.) Sometimes, a husband has to return his MacBook Pro because the wife has vetoed the purchase.

If there's a defect, it's repaired or a new part swapped out, and the machine again goes through quality checks. If it passes, it's sold as a 'refurbished' product.
  • Reply 367 of 649
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Machines get returned after purchase for minor defects, or because one part is defective (like a hard drive or power supply.) Sometimes, a husband has to return his MacBook Pro because the wife has vetoed the purchase.

If there's a defect, it's repaired or a new part swapped out, and the machine again goes through quality checks. If it passes, it's sold as a 'refurbished' product.

I've had an Apple hard drive to go bad about 3 months after I purchased the Mac from Apple and Apple didn't give me a new computer, they replaced the hard drive. A power supply would also be replaceable. So if they can replace a part under warranty, and not have to give you a new computer, then the question still remains "Where does Apple get the computers they sell as refurbished?"
  • Reply 368 of 649
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    "3 months after" is very different from "the day after" the purchase.
  • Reply 369 of 649
    Not only that but apple's refurbed machines are also the 14 day returns. They can't resell the computer as brand new if it has been used at all. So it is sent back to apple where they recheck / test it and sell it as a refurb. That is part of the reason there is a restocking fee, to offset the refurbished price drop.
  • Reply 370 of 649
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Not only that but apple's refurbed machines are also the 14 day returns. They can't resell the computer as brand new if it has been used at all. So it is sent back to apple where they recheck / test it and sell it as a refurb. That is part of the reason there is a restocking fee, to offset the refurbished price drop.

I am so happy that you mentioned the restocking fee. Most people on this forum quote the "14 day" rule as if they never read the small print. It's not like Sears used to be. Now even Sears will slap a restocking fee on you. At least they did on me.
  • Reply 371 of 649
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I dont see how this got so far off topic, but let's get back to it.
  • Reply 372 of 649
    Quote:

I dont see how this got so far off topic, but let's get back to it.

OK. Here's the original post.

Quote:

So the question is would you prefer:

A) Another Cube, or pretty much locked down non upgradable Mac that's just a little bigger than the mini.

B) Or a smaller desktop that falls between the iMac, and Mac Pro with Desktop Class parts, Upgradable graphics slot, and HD's Just not as excessive as the Mac Pro?

Something closer in size to this.

• Reply 373 of 649
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    B in a landslide.
  • Reply 374 of 649
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

B in a landslide.

Since it has been slow long since I voted, I think I'll vote again.

"B" in an avalanche!
  • Reply 375 of 649
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    "B"

"A" is too short to put on the floor, which is where I keep my current computer. That keeps the wires and other clutter off my already cluttered desk. A would take up valuable desktop realestate, though it would be easier to access the Superdrive. Besides, I'm guessing the "B" design is easier to work on and keep components cool.
  • Reply 376 of 649
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

"B"

"A" is too short to put on the floor, which is where I keep my current computer. That keeps the wires and other clutter off my already cluttered desk. A would take up valuable desktop realestate, though it would be easier to access the Superdrive. Besides, I'm guessing the "B" design is easier to work on and keep components cool.

Your post hit me right between the eyes. I've wanted a cube (updated) since I started using a Mac. I love the elegant look. After reading your post, I realize I don't have desk space for it. Two large monitors and other stuff I need on my desk take up all available space. I've tried (mentally) rearranging stuff, but I've concluded there's no way to put that much wanted cube where I could see it and purr over it like Duddits. I'd have to put it on the floor - what a shame.

Does that mean I don't want a cube? Not at all. However, at this point, I'd prefer anything rather than an AIO or a Pro Mac. I know that's not going to happen, but I can dream, can't I.

I love this forum. I can expound on computers (as little as I know about them) to my heart's content. Not many in my circle of friends and acquaintances would listen to computer stuff (not much, anyway). Maybe no one on this forum hears me either, but I pretend that they do. I wonder if many AI members appreciate AI as much as I do.
  • Reply 377 of 649
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I recently saw a Dell 'slim shady' tower at a mall with a Dell kiosk. They do look nice. Not a bad form factor at all.
  • Reply 378 of 649
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Your post hit me right between the eyes. I've wanted a cube (updated) since I started using a Mac. I love the elegant look. After reading your post, I realize I don't have desk space for it. Two large monitors and other stuff I need on my desk take up all available space. I've tried (mentally) rearranging stuff, but I've concluded there's no way to put that much wanted cube where I could see it and purr over it like Duddits. I'd have to put it on the floor - what a shame.

Does that mean I don't want a cube? Not at all. However, at this point, I'd prefer anything rather than an AIO or a Pro Mac. I know that's not going to happen, but I can dream, can't I.

I love this forum. I can expound on computers (as little as I know about them) to my heart's content. Not many in my circle of friends and acquaintances would listen to computer stuff (not much, anyway). Maybe no one on this forum hears me either, but I pretend that they do. I wonder if many AI members appreciate AI as much as I do.

As soon as I read your reply, I realized that one could put The Cube on a Cube Stand (another thing the multitude of aftermarket iPod acessory makers could build). That would get it off the desk and high enough to pop CDs in and out. Still, I think the larger size of the Dell style tower gives the components more room to breath, and makes changing/adding parts easier, and to me that's an important reason to get the tower (over an iMac) in the first place.

I agree, AI is pretty cool. I have no one to talk computers with either. Family and friends rely on me for info and just use their machines and forget about it. The thing I like about AI too is the friendly atmosphere. Nobody gives me the slightest grief when I reviel I don't even use an Apple (yet)!
  • Reply 379 of 649
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

B in a landslide.

Here'S a new design from Isamu Sanada. It's big: Mac Pro replacement, but the design (black/alu) is interesting.

More images at http://www.apple-style.com/laborator...ro_070919.html
  • Reply 380 of 649
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Here'S a new design from Isamu Sanada. It's big: Mac Pro replacement, but the design (black/alu) is interesting.

More images at http://www.apple-style.com/laborator...ro_070919.html

That os freakin' awesome.