Apple's iPhone emerges as leading U.S. smart phone in July

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

If you read NukemHill's post in this ars discussion he extrapolates that 198k phones were sold in July. Not quite the one million you predict.

Time will tell. Perhaps tomorrow Jobs will give an update on iPhone sales. I doubt Apple are seling one million a month but I could be wrong.

Interesting. I'd understood they sold around 200k in the first weekend of sales.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    yes, the iPhone is amazing, but it costs way too much.

in another year or two it will evolve like the iPod - more storage, cheaper. that's what will make people buy it en masse.

[$499/5 gigs when it was introduced - $249/30 gigs - until tomorrow]

Apple set it's 1% target low intentionally so they can say at the end of 2008 what a huge success the phone is and drive the stock higher.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We really don't know, despite that article, which itself was just guessing, if the iPhone does run on Leopard. I seem to remember some comments from someone from Apple that said it didn't.

Thanks to all the great third-party hacks out there we can get a more objective answer to that question. I can ssh to my iPhone and run uname -a and get....

Darwin XXXX XXXX's iPhone 9.0.0d1 Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0d1: Fri Jun 22 00:38:56 PDT 2007; root:xnu-933.0.1.178.obj~1/RELEASE_ARM_S5L8900XRB iPhone1,1 Darwin

As opposed to my Tiger installation

Darwin XXXXXXX's 8.10.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.1: Wed May 23 16:33:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.22.5~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

So it seems for real
  • Reply 44 of 74
    These companies offer many models of WM phones. This is why the iPhone outsold them. How did the iPhone stack up against all WM phones.

"and any individual Motorola, Nokia, Samsung or other smart phone model from a branded service provider"
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Sometimes Wall Street's demand for quick, easily formulated half-baked data is our gain.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

These companies offer many models of WM phones. This is why the iPhone outsold them. How did the iPhone stack up against all WM phones.

"and any individual Motorola, Nokia, Samsung or other smart phone model from a branded service provider"

Excellent point, since they also merged sales from both models into just 'iPhone'.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Please elaborate...

- visual voice mail

- full touch interface with virtually unlimited expandability

- ease of use

I really don't get where there's any comparison between iPhone and existing products. Even existing failings can and will be addressed by software updates.

Visual voice mail is great, assuming you get lots of messages. If not, its just another feature (like an iSight camera on a mac, its looks good in a write-up, but useless unless you have need for it).

As for the 'unlimited expandability', that's more hyperbole then anything. The more 'expandable' apple makes it, the less 'ease of use' you have. Then you're just running into the "Now how do I get to that other interface again?" syndrome.

And I don't hold my breath when it comes to Apple fixing "existing failings". You may feel self-assured they WILL be addressed, but we can't even get Apple to fix simple problems in Mac OS X, let alone defects with their hardware (without twisting their arms). People haven't been shouting "FFTF!" at apple for 4 years because they've got nothing better to do.

Apple has that tendency to want to add new features, so they can say "All New Features! Buy one now!" instead of making sure things that currently are implemented work and work well. Of course, they do this because they don't give a crap about their current customers (hell, you've got an iPhone, how does fixing your problems help them as much as adding some doodad to the next gen to bring in some new market segment?).
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:

Did you actually read the article, or just that post?

Mel,

I've read both now and I still don't see any hard numbers from them other than a survey and fromt hat they determine overall numbers. I don't think it's really representative of the actual numbers to be honest.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

I do not remember anyone standing in line for three days. The relatively small number who queued that long were, I believe, in sedentary positions for much of the time. And I don't believe any of them were infected with rabies....

You sure straightened him out!
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunbow View Post

Interesting. I'd understood they sold around 200k in the first weekend of sales.

As I recall, Apple said it sold 270,000 in the first 36 hours to close of the June quarter.

Gene Munster estimates that Apple sold 800,000 iPhones for the quarter ending September:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/0...markets33.html
  • Reply 51 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Hyperbole? This is market research. The numbers are what they are.

The numbers are what they are, but how you take them is a different matter. As it is, they all look like estimates at best. I can give you any number you like, but does it really mean anything? Do they actually properly represent what actually happened or what will happen?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What is with everyone's ``IMO''? Is this a new technique to cover your butt when you are shown to be wrong?

The only counter opinion to such reported statistics are from representatives who have done the work in recording purchases and done breakdowns by whatever set of criteria they have determined before they start recording statistics.

Everyone else is talking out their rears.

However, one could comment on whether or not this iSuppli was sponsored by Apple to write a favorable report or not.

Wouldn't the report itself say who financed it? Unless a person has access to the actual report, those comment doesn't mean much, does it? Without that, such comments are just as worthless as you say everyone else's comments are. The AI report is probably heavily distilled. I wish I knew what they were like, to see if they held up to any real scrutiny.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 53 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

How do you spell 'forecast' again?
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:

Wow! I can read the numbers SO much better now! Not.

I can--that graph is much more easy to understand.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Apple Insider has been guilty of some biased reporting in the past but i never realised how bad it was. If any has bothered to go and read the full report from iSuppli you would have found this...

Quote:

iSuppli?s data was gathered through an online survey of 2 million participants and represents a mostly male, under 35, college graduate demographic.

Its a feking online survey!! I am sorry but your Blackberry users are far too bloody busy to waste time doing online surveys, i have never done one in my life. How many people lie when asked questions in an online survey?? Bloody loads is the answer.

I cannot believe that these results come from an online survey and yet fully aware of this fact AI never thought it wise to mention this.

This aint even a story.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    DRAMATIC NEWS - STOP THE PRESS - IPHONE IN FREEFALL

In a report issued this morning the firm iMurphytec inc has released the latest findings from its iPhone survey and announced that total iPhone sales for last month = 1. Thats right, Apple only sold one iPhone in a whole month. This news is very very bad for Apple and could crush them.

It seems the demographic for iphone sales are one armed men from Alabama who left school at 7 years old, not a huge market for Apple to aim at.

*** Okay i actually sent out 5 emails to random addresses and only one of the respondents had bought an iPhone last month, his name was Cleitus, a one armed idiot from Alabama. But it was a real survey, just thought is best not to include the details in the story.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

I can--that graph is much more easy to understand.

The perspective causes problems though. It "looks" better, but it's easier to trick people that way too, particularly when the newer data looks bigger than it should because it's closer.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Apple Insider has been guilty of some biased reporting in the past but i never realised how bad it was. If any has bothered to go and read the full report from iSuppli you would have found this...

Its a feking online survey!! I am sorry but your Blackberry users are far too bloody busy to waste time doing online surveys, i have never done one in my life. How many people lie when asked questions in an online survey?? Bloody loads is the answer.

I cannot believe that these results come from an online survey and yet fully aware of this fact AI never thought it wise to mention this.

This aint even a story.

You're right, but you're missing the point, it's all good cause the stock went up. If it was the other way around and the stock went down.....
  • Reply 59 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How do you spell 'forecast' again?

Ladies, we have wood.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Do all these 3-D graphs (I assume on Numbers/iWork) look weirdly like non-parallel optical illusions?

Or maybe, it's just me.....