Apple to offer early iPhone adopters $100 credit - Jobs

1568101116

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 314
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post


    VERY smart move by Steve. A little late in coming, but it should generate considerable goodwill... or at least lessen the badwill significantly.



    A bit rich. How is this too late in coming? The new prices were announced only yesterday! Otherwise I think this comment is amateurishly presumptuous. Clue: Steve Jobs is the CEO of Apple - not you. 'Lessen the badwill (sic) significantly'? You get a phone two months before anyone else and it only costs you $100 more? Now you're being silly. And childish. Grow up.
  • Reply 142 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    who's complaining - aren't we just debating at this point to avoid other fascinating opportunities like working?



    Seriously?
  • Reply 143 of 314
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post


    Let me guess. You're a first year law student reading off of a syllabus.



    No. He's a frustrated poster, who's reading from Wikipedia.
  • Reply 144 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Now, you're being ridiculous!



    You think that because you looked up a few big words, it makes your argument any better?



    I know far more about it than you ever will, going by your arguments. I've owned two companies.



    You still haven't responded to my request for some evidence of breach.



    I suppose there is a reason for that?



    Riiiiggghhhttt..... (not)
  • Reply 145 of 314
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    I think I've been very semantically careful to only offer my thoughts and opinions - I haven't made any statements of fact other than what I know occurred - Apple released the iphone at $599 and $499 and made various public commitments and feature enhancements and then less than 3 months later dropped the price by more than 30%. I shared my view (opinion if you prefer) that there is likely a claim that certain of the commitments (feature enhancements quickly after the product was released) were not met. I suggested that perhaps Apple defined quickly to be something special in this case because it must be sooner than the amount of time in which they would dramatically lower the price of the device. I also suggested people review Jobs' public statements and presentations to recall how weighty the commitments for feature enhancements sounded around announcement.



    Your statements of fact were that Apple and ATT are violating their contractual obligations. You haven't supported that statement with any evidence.
  • Reply 146 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrightm View Post


    Seriously?



    Seriously! - has anything meaningful been said or added to other than peoples ongoing frustration or joy since late last night (re: frustration) and today (re: joy)... except for the insightful observation that we MAY (MG - that's for you - I don't want to make a factual statement out of speculation) be able to buy coffee at Starbucks on our iPhones (i wonder if our credits will work for that!).
  • Reply 147 of 314
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    Credit card companies (at least AMEX - which incidentally has gotten rid of it's price protection coverage) have (or had) a provision that required you to prove that you didn't have any other indemnity or source of recovery ...



    Ah... interesting.

    So they'll no doubt be noting the Apple $100 in its system, and max-ing their obligation to the other $100. Makes sense.
  • Reply 148 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Your statements of fact were that Apple and ATT are violating their contractual obligations. You haven't supported that statement with any evidence.



    uhh - those weren't statements of fact - I originally suggested that "a smart attorney among us" could probably construct a claim based on their behavior... (incidentally, they weren't covenants or representations and warranties either:
  • Reply 149 of 314
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Steve is a genius. Yesterday you all wanted $200. Now, he lets you think you won and gives you $100 (actually less) and everyone is happy.
  • Reply 150 of 314
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post


    A bit rich. How is this too late in coming? The new prices were announced only yesterday! Otherwise I think this comment is amateurishly presumptuous.





    LOL. Looks like I get to cut-copy-paste from post #91:



    Yep, late. Even 24 hours is still later than when Jobs should have done it, which is at the same time he announced the price drop.



    That would've headed off all the 'whining' (or legitimate griping, depending on your point of view) off at the pass, and Apple would've looked like a beneficent company from minute one.



    Still, I will agree that 24 hours is better than a week, and much better than never.





    Quote:

    Clue: Steve Jobs is the CEO of Apple - not you. 'Lessen the badwill (sic) significantly'? You get a phone two months before anyone else and it only costs you $100 more? [edit: actually, it was $200 more] Now you're being silly. And childish. Grow up.





    Sigh. Sorry you feel that way. But when you hurl insults over a matter of simple disagreement, you simply make yourself look bad and childish, not me.



    Rookie mistake. You hate to see it. \





    .
  • Reply 151 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    I think I've been very semantically careful to only offer my thoughts and opinions -



    Since you're a first year law student and have an interest in clear expression, this phrase is equivalent to:



    "I think I've been careful to only offer my own opinions"



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    I haven't made any statements of fact other than what I know occurred - Apple released the iphone at $599 and $499 and made various public commitments and feature enhancements



    you mean "made public commitments to enhance its features"





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    and then less than 3 months later dropped the price by more than 30%.



    As they are entitled to by law.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    I shared my view (opinion if you prefer)



    Obviously, you aspire to be either a real or pretend lawyer. A good one (real or pretend) avoids redundancy. All your extra, unnecessary, superfluous, extraneous, redundant, superfluous, unnecessary, and redundant words are making me dizzy.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    that there is likely a claim that certain of the commitments (feature enhancements quickly after the product was released) were not met.



    Apple is solidifying the core platform before adding new features. Their pledge to add new features is not bound by a timetable. Beyond all this semantic garbage, the truth is they will add features and most people know that. The platform was just born. Most owners prefer to wait for solid new features than to have it rapidly expand into a big oogy swamp.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    I suggested that perhaps Apple defined quickly to be something special in this case because it must be sooner than the amount of time in which they would dramatically lower the price of the device. I also suggested people review Jobs' public statements and presentations to recall how weighty the commitments for feature enhancements sounded around announcement.



    Honestly, you sound like a first year law student waving his hand and offering some pseudo-legal sounding comment to impress the teacher... in a movie... and the class giggles nervously.



    Apple did not in any way provide a special defination of "quickly" that would invite a lawsuit or mislead the public. That this is the case can be observed in forums like this where you are almost alone in this complaint. Look how quickly the mob pounced on the $200 price drop, and yet the mob has no such interest in demanding new features sooner than later. The mob is patient because the mob is happy, and prefers solid features to a rickety mess.



    Why not cut out the pseudo-legal mumbo-jumbo and join the forum as a regular person and discuss the issues like a normal person. I am not sure if you are aware of the fact that I am a cat, and yet I sound more like a normal person than you do. And - I presume - you're human?
  • Reply 152 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    uhh - those weren't statements of fact - I originally suggested that "a smart attorney among us" could probably construct a claim based on their behavior... (incidentally, they weren't covenants or representations and warranties either:



    A smart attorney would laugh at the idea. A greedy bastard would think, "Class Action!".



    There is no correlation between the amount of time you think it should take for 'feature upgrades' to appear (based on statements from Apple which implied that they would come quickly), the amount of time it takes to drop the price on a product, and the fact that said feature upgrades did not appear before the price drop.



    Again ... ridiculous.
  • Reply 153 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    Seriously! - has anything meaningful been said or added to other than peoples ongoing frustration or joy since late last night (re: frustration) and today (re: joy)... except for the insightful observation that we MAY (MG - that's for you - I don't want to make a factual statement out of speculation) be able to buy coffee at Starbucks on our iPhones (i wonder if our credits will work for that!).





    Anything meaningful said or added to....what? This "discussion"? Or to the iPhone?



    I was commenting on your view that you weren't complaining. That's essentially all you have been doing. You surely have not been promoting a love fest with Apple, as you have been writing all day about how strong your potential "legal claim" is against Apple for this serious, and unprecedented, injustice...I mean..err...price drop. That's not a complaint? If not, then what would you call it? A compliment? Or, just a neutral comment?
  • Reply 154 of 314
    All you pathetic whiners out there better be grateful for this.



    Yes, I distinctly remember you iPhone-ophiles lining up in the wee hours of the morning, gleefully forking out your cold 600, grins from ear to ear, exclaiming that it was worth every jot and tittle, only to turn around now after an inevitable price cut and declare foul play! you stomped your feet, pulled your hair, and cried like the little children you are. surprise, surprise, daddy gave in.



    Very pleased I had the common economical sense to "wait and see", despite every bone aching desire to buy on impulse. Hopefully, just hopefully, when I do get around to buying my first 8G iPhone for 399, I won't wail and moan like a spoiled brat when the 16G comes out days/weeks/months later.



    P.S. Happy to join Insider!!!
  • Reply 155 of 314
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebolagp View Post


    Can't wait to hear from Melgross et al about this. I guess Apple didn't see it your way after all and maybe, just maybe all of the 'whiners' were not so far off-base (or as unimportant as you made them all out to be) after all...



    Apple's move does not mean that they agree that the whiners have a case. It doesn't change things. The whiners have no case and they did not deserve anything from Apple.



    However, anyone can see that, rightly or not, a whole load of people got really pissed off. So it's just good marketing to make a peace offering, whether you think the anger baseless or not.



    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Steve planned it this way all along:
    • Launch iPhone at $599, sell up to a million to foaming-at-the-mouth fanboys.

    • Reduce price to $399 after two months. This will piss off 25% of the early-adoptors, who will then proceed to whine extremely loudly, giving us loads of free publicity that the iPhone has been reduced in price.

    • Offer $100 money-off voucher on future purchases, which in most cases will probably make people even happier than before the price reduction

    • Vouchers don't actually cost anywhere near the $100 face value. So Apple just bought, say, $75 million worth of free publicity and goodwill for $30 million.

  • Reply 156 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrightm View Post


    Anything meaningful said or added to....what? This "discussion"? Or to the iPhone?



    I was commenting on your view that you weren't complaining. That's essentially all you have been doing. You surely have not been promoting a love fest with Apple, as you have been writing all day about how strong your potential "legal claim" is against Apple for this serious, and unprecedented, injustice...I mean..err...price drop. That's not a complaint? If not, then what would you call it? A compliment? Or, just a neutral comment?



    I'd call it a debate. Interesting to me - I thought i was being supportive of those that were upset - apparently, I have been being a devils advocate. I'm still surprised by the strong views expressed by three or four of you that upon the price drop there was little (or I guess your comments mean you think there is NO) basis for a claim - I disagree. Unfortunately, given today's open letter, we'll probably never know for sure - because as you saw on these boards, many were satisfied with the $100 olive branch. I will be excited to see the terms of the credit.
  • Reply 157 of 314
    Re 'onceuponamac'



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post


    "Since you're a first year law student



    How did one who has yet to get out of grade school all of sudden become closer to becoming a nominee to the Supreme Court?
  • Reply 158 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post


    wow...BOOM!



    and for many iPhone buyers, hello $49 iPod nano.



    Yeah, exactly what you need a 4GB nano to with your 8GB iPhone
  • Reply 159 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebolagp View Post


    Can't wait to hear from Melgross et al about this. I guess Apple didn't see it your way after all and maybe, just maybe all of the 'whiners' were not so far off-base (or as unimportant as you made them all out to be) after all...



    I think it is a totally unnecessary move on Apple's part and they shouldn't cave in to childish whiners.



    Nobody won.



    Apple will now probably release fewer upgrades to its products so as not to piss off the immature masses, who will then gripe that Apple isn't releasing new stuff quickly enough.



    They have a 14-day grace period, which is more than sufficient. When I bought my new MBP, I posted that Apple would certainly upgrade them soon thereafter. A few weeks later, they did just that. Did I whine and moan? No. Remember a MBP costs a tad more than an iPhone? No, I didn't whine, because that's life. The price drop is not a new model, but they are deleting the smaller GB model, so in a sense it is a very minor upgrade and product line readjustment.
  • Reply 160 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post


    I understand your concern, but I don't think its really a problem.



    Apple has a history of usually not price dropping quickly anyway (I'm sure Mel or someone could nitpick the exceptions, but by and large its true). The iPhone was an exception due to the iTouch being introduced, and the need for Apple to have it not cannibalize their iPhone business. Which it would've, had Apple left the old iPhone price points intact.



    Notice that the iPhone price drop and the iTouch introduction happened on the same day? Not an accident.



    Take that away, and we're back to business as usual, i.e. Apple not being quick to price drop. I don't think the complainers are going to impact that one way or the other, as that's just solid business stratgegy far as Apple is concerned.



    ...



    Well in any event its over now so we can move back to bitching about the lack of a mid range midtower...LOL
Sign In or Register to comment.