Steve Jobs fields questions following Apple's UK iPhone launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Isn't Jobs' comment about the short battery life somewhat of a half-truth?

Of course it is, but it's also his job to protect Apple the company. Note the late next year comment about a 3G iPhone. That's insane (giving up the Asian market until the end of 2008?) but if he said at Macworld 2008 there will be a 3G iPhone then current sales would slow, stock would drop, and he wouldn't have been doing his job.

As I continue to point out 3G used constantly on a modern UMTS phone (i.e. Japan) has a battery drain of around 30%.

On an iPhone in Europe or the USA 3G would be powered up dynamically when needed to download data (and, perhaps, optionally for better sounding voice calls) and thus we're looking at a situation where 30% is the worst case scenario and 10% is more likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

I can't believe no one' picking on this. First, what is this 'high-standard of experience' apple is talking about. And, second, why exactly would non-internet apps be OK, but internet-based ones would somehow magically threaten that experience. Wouldn't stand-alone apps have just the same ability to threaten that experience? Or is it Apple wanting to make sure no one dares do anything that could cut into their business model?

That does strike me as weird, especially since much of the best potential for iPhone apps exists in using the web/desktop hybrid model (as Apple's own applications do). Perhaps it's aimed directly at VOIP.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aljawad View Post

This debate about battery life and 3G must be treated seriously, and once Apple is done marketing the iPhone in Europe the Japanese market - where Edge is a joke - beckons. I have been using 3G phones for a while now. I prefer phones from Sony-Ericsson, and I try to hookup the device to charge overnight, but not always. My current phone is the SE P1i which I use extensively as a phone, internet/email (via Wi-Fi, on the phone itself and bluetoothed to my portable computer), video calling (a few calls each day). I need to charge it once every other day..

Technically speaking EDGE (or GSM) doesn't even exist in the Japanese market. In fact both the South Korean and Japanese markets will require a 3G iPhone model. They also require an e-cash chip, a better camera, preferably digital TV, preferably GPS, and a lot of additional software for stuff like QR code handling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I'm not a technical person, but does the iPhone "talk" over the network checking e-mail and maybe other things(?) and does a derivative of OS X & iTunes, etc. have anything to do with battery drain due to receiving data packets. I mean didn't people who went to Europe and did not turn off their EDGE or whatever have huge bills at the end of the month. Does this cause a big drain on the battery as is when on EDGE and even worse if on a 3G network?

Talking over 3G would impose little more battery impact than talking over EDGE. You lose a little turning the 3G chipset on/off, you lose a little because 3G uses more power, you gain a little because it will all download much faster.
  • Reply 62 of 117
    i havent done any real testing, so this is jus a guess. i'd have to say aroud 4 hours talk time with heavy data use. I usually go a two days without charging with mixed use using the extended battery. I give the battery like on the blackjack a A-

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Could you be more specific? 3 hours with mixed use? 4? 5? 6?

I regularly get about 6 hours with mixed use on the iPhone.

• Reply 63 of 117
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Isn't Jobs' comment about the short battery life somewhat of a half-truth? I could see the battery life being shortened to 2-3 hours if someone were constantly using 3G, but how often is someone going to be doing that? I believe my current Verizon phone has 3G (EVDO is a 3G network, correct?). It will last a couple of days without needing recharged since I don't use the 3G network (nor is it disabled in anyway, just not actively used). I'd imagine that most places you're going to use the iPhone long term would be the same places you could have wi-fi and 3G usage would still be pretty limited (just like EDGE) to short spans between wi-fi hotspots. The iPhone battery life would also be helped if Apple allowed real applications on the phone (thus not requiring "apps" to be using the data network).

Just seems at times Jobs likes to pull excuses out of his a**. Like the previous lame excuse explaining why no 3rd party apps allowed on the phone because it could bring down the AT&T network (if the AT&T network is that fragile, they shouldn't be running a cellular network in the first place).

There seems to be some truth to that. Steve appears to be exaggerating the battery life hit that 3G would cause, likely because he doesn't have a 3G iPhone to sell yet. \

Once he does, you can bet he'll have nothing but great things to say about 3G. Steve's a very aggressive salesperson, and can switch rationales on a dime.

• Reply 64 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Why is the iPhone a power hog? It has more memory? It has a larger screen? A more powerful processor? People would have a tendency to use the iPhone constantly. You really believe Apple is conning people about 3G chips being power hungry. To what end? Apple could build a brick phone that's much thicker and that has a bigger battery to get longer life. Maybe that's what you want and that's why you own a Motorola Q. I'm not putting down the MotoQ. It has different dimensions from the iPhone.

Huh? The iPhone is 0.46" thick. The Q9m is 0.47". Hardly a 'brick'.

Quote:

I personally think the iPhone should be a bit thicker to get more battery life, but that's not my decision.

Wouldn't hurt. I can't really see someone going, "Eww, this phone is 0.50" thick instead of 0.46". It must suck!!"

Yet that's the way Apple seems to design... in fear of this mythological customer. \

• Reply 65 of 117
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

That does strike me as weird, especially since much of the best potential for iPhone apps exists in using the web/desktop hybrid model (as Apple's own applications do). Perhaps it's aimed directly at VOIP.

Looks like its aimed at VOIP.

Quote:

Technically speaking EDGE (or GSM) doesn't even exist in the Japanese market. In fact both the South Korean and Japanese markets will require a 3G iPhone model. They also require an e-cash chip, a better camera, preferably digital TV, preferably GPS, and a lot of additional software for stuff like QR code handling.

I don't see Japan as a big market for Apple right now. They've certainly put very lackluster effort into it and the product needs are different from the US. Note the lack of ultraportable in the laptop lineup.

I suspect Apple would be happy serving those two market with just the iPod touch and foregoing the iPhone for the moment. Those additional requirements you listed simply don't look likely.

V
  • Reply 66 of 117
    Quote:

Of course it is, but it's also his job to protect Apple the company. Note the late next year comment about a 3G iPhone. That's insane (giving up the Asian market until the end of 2008?) but if he said at Macworld 2008 there will be a 3G iPhone then current sales would slow, stock would drop, and he wouldn't have been doing his job.

As I continue to point out 3G used constantly on a modern UMTS phone (i.e. Japan) has a battery drain of around 30%.

On an iPhone in Europe or the USA 3G would be powered up dynamically when needed to download data (and, perhaps, optionally for better sounding voice calls) and thus we're looking at a situation where 30% is the worst case scenario and 10% is more likely.

Talking over 3G would impose little more battery impact than talking over EDGE. You lose a little turning the 3G chipset on/off, you lose a little because 3G uses more power, you gain a little because it will all download much faster.

Well said and interesting as always, EM.

• Reply 67 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I don't see Japan as a big market for Apple right now. They've certainly put very lackluster effort into it and the product needs are different from the US. Note the lack of ultraportable in the laptop lineup.

I suspect Apple would be happy serving those two market with just the iPod touch and foregoing the iPhone for the moment. Those additional requirements you listed simply don't look likely.

Well, Apple has already stated that they're going to do an Asian iPhone launch in '08.

So, given that Japan and Korea are the two major cellphone markets over there (China is coming up, but is still heavily into low-end, cheap phones), and Korea and Japan are similar in their requirements (3G, advanced features)...

...Apple then has two options for said Asian launch:

Option A- Do an 'iPhone 2.0' next year, with 3G and advanced features

Option B- Crash and burn in Asia

Not a tough choice for them.

• Reply 68 of 117
    Quote:

It's the world's third largest market (and a lot more homogeneous then America or Europe), has a high per capita GDP, and is utterly mobile mad (much much more so then they'd care about the touch).

Ignoring Japan & South Korea because Apple wasn't willing to make minor hardware/software changes to the iPhone is insane.
  • Reply 69 of 117
    Quote:

It's the world's third largest market (and a lot more homogeneous then America or Europe), has a high per capita GDP, and is utterly mobile mad (much much more so then they'd care about the touch).

Ignoring Japan & South Korea because Apple wasn't willing to make minor hardware/software changes to the iPhone is insane.

Bingo.

• Reply 70 of 117
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Isn't Jobs' comment about the short battery life somewhat of a half-truth? I could see the battery life being shortened to 2-3 hours if someone were constantly using 3G, but how often is someone going to be doing that? I believe my current Verizon phone has 3G (EVDO is a 3G network, correct?). It will last a couple of days without needing recharged since I don't use the 3G network (nor is it disabled in anyway, just not actively used). I'd imagine that most places you're going to use the iPhone long term would be the same places you could have wi-fi and 3G usage would still be pretty limited (just like EDGE) to short spans between wi-fi hotspots. The iPhone battery life would also be helped if Apple allowed real applications on the phone (thus not requiring "apps" to be using the data network).

Just seems at times Jobs likes to pull excuses out of his a**. Like the previous lame excuse explaining why no 3rd party apps allowed on the phone because it could bring down the AT&T network (if the AT&T network is that fragile, they shouldn't be running a cellular network in the first place).

Except if you were using an iPhone where using the Internet is a joy, you'd be using it for more than you do on your current Verizon phone.
  • Reply 71 of 117
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnygill View Post

When asked whether Apple would share Wi-Fi iTunes Store revenues with carriers in the same way that carriers share service revenues with Apple, Jobs said, "We're not going to go into it, but if it's using the network you can conceptually imagine that it might make sense."

I thought Apple's Wi-Fi iTunes Store would ONLY be accessible over wi-fi ... So, it sounds to me like the iPhone is NOT using the carriers' network, and therefore there would be no sharing of revenue.

Other thoughts?

It is wifi only today. It could be on 3G someday. But in any case, Jobs could be implying that The Cloud is compensated for use of their wifi network when a song is bought. And also with Starbucks. Although if anyone bought a tune being played at a Starbucks store over iTunes wifi, Starbucks might also be compensating Apple.
  • Reply 72 of 117
    Since it seems likely that T-Mobile will be the carrier for the iPhone in Germany what are the changes that someone in the US and uses T-Mobile will be able to buy a iPhone in Germany and have it shipped to the US to be used on the T-Mobile network (unlocked or not) here in the US.

I know that there may be the possibility that the phone will not have the proper band for the US but since T-Mobile will more then likely want its German subscribers to be able to travel to the US and use the iPhone here this would allow T-Mobile to and gain the added revenue of international roaming voice and data charges I can see that it may be a possibility.

Personally I would like to see the ability of doing this ( even if its not a 3G version ) and not have to worry about having to wonder if Apple will try to re-lock the phone.

Anyone have any thoughts on this option.
  • Reply 73 of 117
    Quote:

E cash chip, better camera, digital TV, etc doesn't seem like minor modifications and there's not a whole lot of room for those additions.

I see them launching with the same 3G US/European iPhone features but I don't see extra frills for the Japanese/Korean market.

Would Apple be "ignoring" Japan? I dunno...is just having the MacBook ignoring Japan? They choose "Option B" for the Mac lineup already. Apple has crashed and burned in the Japanese laptop market.

Do you believe that they're going to the engineering effort of an Asian only SKU? Or do you think US centric Apple is going to remain US centric with the iPhone? Hell, it looks like they're doing a Europe launch without 3G.

V
  • Reply 74 of 117
    Here's the Japanese handset market share for Q4 2006 and Q1 2007.

Notice that Nokia and Motorolla both lumped into Other? Notice that all the top 5 companies come from one particular nation?

http://analytica1st.com/analytica1st...shipments.html

http://wirelesswatch.jp/2007/03/08/s...-market-share/

The probability of Apple penetrating the Japanese market in significant number is slim to none. And you know what they said about Slim. I just don't see a significant amount of effort in this direction and say what you want about Nokia and Motorolla...they really did want IN on Japan and they (with Samsung) are the dominant players worldwide.

How do you go from 65% combined global market share (Nokia, Samsung, Motorolla) to "other"?
  • Reply 75 of 117
    Quote:

The probability of Apple penetrating the Japanese market in significant number is slim to none.

• Reply 76 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Steve Jobs is so greedy!!! What he wants to do is illegal as it denies the ownership of iPhone buyers. Apple VP of Legal Affairs should instruct Steve Jobs that:

2) Apple is likely breaking the laws against false advertising;

They are already being accused of that in a spurious lawsuit.

Someone else mentioned VOIP -- I found this which looks like a bit of a kludge but maybe better than nothing. I'd prefer a real Skype or similar via WiFi once iPhone reaches Australia. Even though free WiFi is not that common here, I could use it as a handset for Skype at home.
  • Reply 77 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Well, Apple has already stated that they're going to do an Asian iPhone launch in '08.

So, given that Japan and Korea are the two major cellphone markets over there (China is coming up, but is still heavily into low-end, cheap phones), and Korea and Japan are similar in their requirements (3G, advanced features)...

...Apple then has two options for said Asian launch:

Option A- Do an 'iPhone 2.0' next year, with 3G and advanced features

Option B- Crash and burn in Asia

Not a tough choice for them.

What about Australia? We're eager to get our hands on the iPhone over here.

Apple's best bet is to improve the iPhone in each successive launch, then start again with the US. By then, the iPhone'll be awesome.
  • Reply 78 of 117
    Quote:

• Reply 79 of 117
    Quote:

Another personal attack from you. That seems to be a pattern when you have no factual rejoinder.
  • Reply 80 of 117
    Quote:

Another personal attack from you. That seems to be a pattern when you have no factual rejoinder.