Thin Apple notebooks may come clad in black aluminum

Comments

• Reply 21 of 176
    Whatever these laptops are or replacing the Apple MacBook surely needs an update to it's casing. I just came home from an Apple Store and all of the MacBook's on display looked like crap. The Black MacBook's trackpads were terribly worn and the case was full of what looked like oil stains. The white MacBooks were all discolored (yellow) and dirty.
  • Reply 22 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I hope it's true. MBs in annodized aluminum would look very nice IMO. Throw in colors a la iPod nano and I think that would make for a compelling product.

With Apple on a recycle kick, I think the new MacBooks will be anodized aluminum that match the Nanos. Santa Rosa for sure, and maybe LED displays...but I have no info on the current cost and production availability.
  • Reply 23 of 176
    I hope the black finish is not easily scratchable. People will be bitching like crazy like they were with the iPod Nanos. Users don't know how to take of their devices and then blame the manufacturer. I'd like to try one of these new slim MacBooks, but I don't know how useful it would be to me if it's processor is slower than my MacBook Pro's Core 2 Duo 2.33.

I'll probably pass since I'm waiting to see what the new Mac Pros are going to offer in the way of performance.
  • Reply 24 of 176
    I've been a 17" guy since 2003, but I wonder if the ultra portables will swing me the other way.

Every now and then I have the thought of going to the other extreme and go for portability, but I never seem to make the jump.

I can see making a move to the ultra portable now that I use a 30" display and external keyboard and mouse when in the office.

I guess I would need/want:

1. Unbelievable portability and lower weight

2. Super long battery life.

3. Dense, bright screen. With less real estate, the screens can't be the typical Apple spotty backlighting

4. GPU and CPU which can power media rich presentations...especially on external displays

5. Decent storage capabilities.

6. Memory up to 4 gigs

7. Full size keyboard

8. No heat issues. (Again, Apple will need to step it up on the quality front to make this happen.)

But I do get excited by the possibility.
  • Reply 25 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogerborn View Post

No Superdrive. Who uses these drives anymore on a laptop?

Many people. Especially when they buy a program and go to install it, or need to pop in a disc to restore their system. I can make several cases where a disc drive is needed. Care to elaborate why you wouldn't need one and how to get around the issue of when you would need one? Buying an external disc drive is not an option and quite frankly stupid.
  • Reply 26 of 176
  • Reply 27 of 176
    On that page we think the front will look a little like this, and please mind the VERY crude mock up

http://macnewbtube.wordpress.com/200...12macbook-pro/
  • Reply 28 of 176
    looks cool, what is the thickness of the thinnest slot-load dvd drive?
  • Reply 29 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Many people. Especially when they buy a program and go to install it, or need to pop in a disc to restore their system. I can make several cases where a disc drive is needed. Care to elaborate why you wouldn't need one and how to get around the issue of when you would need one? Buying an external disc drive is not an option and quite frankly stupid.

Eating apples on Wednesdays during the vernal equinox is not an option and quite frankly stupid.

Seriously, I've never had to restore my operating system while I'm on-the-go. Same for installing new software.

Sell us an ultraportable that comes with an external optical drive. I'll leave the optical drive at home and use it when I need to restore my system or in the rare circumstance that I need to install new software which wasn't acquired and downloaded online. The rest of the time, I don't want the extra weight thank-you-very-much.
  • Reply 30 of 176
    If is got Penryn + Santa Rosa, I'll be interested., otherwise I'll wait That means that it won't ship until at least November 12, 2007 when Penryn is "officially" released.
  • Reply 31 of 176
    Oh dear... I remember trying to install stuff using external optical drives on some laptops... what a sorehead I got. If you need to install the operating system... then the problem is 100 times worse, cos at first, the hardware is not detected, then you have to crack it open to find out how to install it... I am sure you will need another Mac to install an operating system on this one... Let's hope they will think about this!!!
  • Reply 32 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Eating apples on Wednesdays during the vernal equinox is not an option and quite frankly stupid.

Seriously, I've never had to restore my operating system while I'm on-the-go. Same for installing new software.

Sell us an ultraportable that comes with an external optical drive. I'll leave the optical drive at home and use it when I need to restore my system or in the rare circumstance that I need to install new software which wasn't acquired and downloaded online. The rest of the time, I don't want the extra weight thank-you-very-much.

Apple, with the iMac, stresses about desktop clutter. Why would they have an "accessory" as such which would add to that clutter? Makes no sense. So you're on the go and someone gives you a CD to listen too. You tell them you have to wait till you get home because you left your drive at home. Really. Whatever Apple does I see not having an optical drive plain stupid and I wouldn't purchase a machine without one.
  • Reply 33 of 176
    CD's are so oldschool. They'll just hand you an earbud connected to their brand new ipod touch.

edit: and if it's not music, they'll have it on a flash drive.
  • Reply 34 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

8. No heat issues. (Again, Apple will need to step it up on the quality front to make this happen.)

This article at ars suggests that the mobile penryns will run at 25w. That should make for a cool running machine.
  • Reply 35 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soulhunter View Post

Oh dear... I remember trying to install stuff using external optical drives on some laptops... what a sorehead I got. If you need to install the operating system... then the problem is 100 times worse, cos at first, the hardware is not detected, then you have to crack it open to find out how to install it...

Uhm... that would be a PC laptop - back when even desktop PCs couldn't boot from their CD drive. I don't think Apple would allow that to happen. Today's Macs can boot from external hard disks - a CD drive would be no different.

Quote:

I am sure you will need another Mac to install an operating system on this one...

That would be a ridiculous requirement. I am sure that you will definitely NOT need another Mac to install an OS.
  • Reply 36 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

Shouldn't that say 40 gb SSD?
  • Reply 37 of 176
    Quote:

Apple, with the iMac, stresses about desktop clutter. Why would they have an "accessory" as such which would add to that clutter? Makes no sense. So you're on the go and someone gives you a CD to listen too. You tell them you have to wait till you get home because you left your drive at home. Really. Whatever Apple does I see not having an optical drive plain stupid and I wouldn't purchase a machine without one.

No, I'll go with lfmorrison here. If it is to be an ultra portable, you can't have the weight/space of the optical drive fouling it up. The posited included external drive would not be clutter on the desktop, because it would be for occasional use only.

***This is not a replacement for all your computers--this is for way portability.***

If you are going to want to be listening to CDs or if watching DVDs is an option you want to have open, then get you a MB or a MBP.

If they try to make the ultraportable all things for all people, then it will just end up as a smaller laptop and will not satisfy the intended market--the ultraportable people. And there will still be people who call it crippled for not having X, Y or Z.

I personally would be more interested in a return to the small pro laptop (with ODD) but that is not an ultraportable solution.
  • Reply 38 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Shouldn't that say 40 gb SSD?

nah, man. 40 gb HDD at 2100 rpm.

it's the new rage.
  • Reply 39 of 176
    Quote:

Whatever Apple does I see not having an optical drive plain stupid and I wouldn't purchase a machine without one.

That's fine. You wouldn't have to buy it.

I think an iPod that's too small to hold my whole music collection is just stupid, and I wouldn't purchase an iPod like that.

Apple caters to this preference.

But Apple clearly also recognizes that there's plenty of people out there who value different attributes in their iPod, and they cater to those people too.
  • Reply 40 of 176
    Yeah. You might not want it, but all of Japan does.