Thin Apple notebooks may come clad in black aluminum

Comments

• Reply 101 of 176
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Exactly what are you writing? I haven't needed to write a disc in a long time. My notebooks have writers but I've never used them.

That's insane. I'm burning even as I type this post on my MacBook. I burn everything from music and movies to data backups containing anything under the sun. You guys must not be using torrent trackers therefore must be over 40 or something. That's the only logical explanation I can think of for not using burners. I'm just saying that your needs must be different for demographic reasons. I just burned a DVDs worth of music that I downloaded from the past few days, 5 movies etc...oh oh, now the same people are going to chime in about illegal downloads.
  • Reply 102 of 176
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

That's insane. I'm burning even as I type this post on my MacBook. I burn everything from music and movies to data backups containing anything under the sun. You guys must not be using torrent trackers therefore must be over 40 or something. That's the only logical explanation I can think of for not using burners. I'm just saying that your needs must be different for demographic reasons. I just burned a DVDs worth of music that I downloaded from the past few days, 5 movies etc...oh oh, now the same people are going to chime in about illegal downloads.

The I guess an ultra-portable with no drive is not the machine for you. It is for me.
  • Reply 103 of 176
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Most of us just try to do legal things.
  • Reply 104 of 176
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That is most asinine attempt at logic I've read on this forum. I for one, am not over 40, have hardly used my optical drive--much less my burner--,yet have very large and robust collection of media. My secret, I use a media server.

Pros:

? Faster read access than optical media.

? Ability to stream across LAN.

? Ability to access entire collection remotely.

There are countless other pros that include lack of scratching and organization, but I'll stop with 3 that I find to be the most important to me.
  • Reply 105 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Most of us just try to do legal things.

yeah...next
  • Reply 106 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is most asinine attempt at logic I've read on this forum. I for one, am not over 40, have hardly used my optical drive--much less my burner--,yet have very large and robust collection of media. My secret, I use a media server.

wtf? an online media server? lol yeah have fun waiting every time you want to listen, watch or read one of your files. If it's your own network you may not have to wait, but you still don't have your own backups. Are you one of those people that think your stuff is safe with online data servers? Or maybe your stuff isn't that valuable to you.
  • Reply 107 of 176
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

wtf? an online media server? lol yeah have fun waiting every time you want to listen, watch or read one of your files. If it's your own network you may not have to wait, but you still don't have your own backups. Are you one of those people that think your stuff is safe with online data servers? Or maybe your stuff isn't that valuable to you.

"Don't have your own backups?" "Online data servers?"

For a warez kid you're remarkably out of touch with technology. Unless your time is worth *nothing* you don't mess around making backups of a large media library to DVDs. That's why they invented hard drives. Just with four decent-sized hard drives you have 1.5 terabytes of RAID 1 storage, and presto, there's your backup too.
  • Reply 108 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

"Don't have your own backups?" "Online data servers?"

For a warez kid you're remarkably out of touch with technology. Unless your time is worth *nothing* you don't mess around making backups of a large media library to DVDs. That's why they invented hard drives. Just with four decent-sized hard drives you have 1.5 terabytes of RAID 1 storage, and presto, there's your backup too.

yeah if you're an idiot and trust some company because it has "superior arrays" over the next bunch of bozos for $5.00/month less. Not to mention no matter how confidential any company says their info is there are always risks. My stuff in my house. Your stuff on some corps servers. Have fun.

You just dated yourself grandpa by saying warez kid lol who the f%$@ says that anymore? Wired mag?
  • Reply 109 of 176
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I use hard drives. Optical storage is way too slow and involves too much handling.

You mention demographics - keep that in mind. Just because a product doesn't support your particular demographic doesn't mean it's bad. A hypothetical thin Apple notebook would not be a product for your demographic, but that doesn't mean it will flop.

I'm impressed that you can burn that much, much less with a notebook drive, without it dying on you.
  • Reply 110 of 176
    Quote:

Where did I say "online media server"? And what part of "LAN" or "faster access than optical media" didn't you understand? It's all in my home. Why burn a DVD when I can stream it directly to my TV using Front Row on my Mac mini instantly using a beautifully designed interface where everything is well organized by me? If I am traveling I merely copy about 100GB of enjoyable media to my Mac prior to traveling. That 100GB will copy faster than you can burn a single DVD. I bet you keep your different media on separate spindles. The organizational nightmare you must face when looking for something and then you have to handle everything so gently and you loan anything out. I can loan media by simply copying to the secure FTP older on my system that my friends have access to.
  • Reply 111 of 176
    Watch the supporters of optical drives cite this:

Instead, Leopard will now require Macs with "an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor." Other system requirements include a DVD drive, built-in FireWire, at least 512MB of RAM (additional recommended), and at least 9GB of hard disk space.

It appears logic has been lost on this thread!
  • Reply 112 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eros View Post

Instead, Leopard will now require Macs with "an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor." Other system requirements include a DVD drive, built-in FireWire, at least 512MB of RAM (additional recommended), and at least 9GB of hard disk space.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned already. If Apple does remove the internal optical drive I hope they don't follow in the footsteps of other OEMs by creating a restore partition on the internal HDD. I know HP/Compaq, Dell, and Sony do it. What a waste of value HDD capacity!
  • Reply 113 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eros View Post

Some systems have external DVD drives, but they are still DVD drives all the same, are they not?

Edit: Note that I am not a optical drive supporter, simply commenting on wording and technicalities.
  • Reply 114 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Some systems have external DVD drives, but they are still DVD drives all the same, are they not?

I think that is the point s/he was making. ie.: The supporters of optical drives within the notebook will overlook the fact it can be an external attachment to be used as needed.
  • Reply 115 of 176
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

yeah if you're an idiot and trust some company because it has "superior arrays" over the next bunch of bozos for $5.00/month less. Not to mention no matter how confidential any company says their info is there are always risks. My stuff in my house. Your stuff on some corps servers. Have fun.

You still don't get it. My server, at home. Not some company's. All the encryption, VPN, one-time SSH passwords and backup methods I care to use.

If I happened to be elsewhere, as long as that end has a decent connection I'll be fine using the stuff. There's nothing less than 100MB wire and routers between me and this country's internet backbone.

I'd be a retard to shuffle around a pile of optical disks and burn more on an ultraportable laptop (remember, there's an actual context for this thread?). I actually did have a small tower of burned CD's eight, nine years ago when it made more practical sense, and when I was still a warez monkey. That was then. Now even the 50GB of a dual-layer Blu-Ray is starting to seem small compared to the 1TB hard drive you can pick up at the store, and Blu-Ray still hasn't become mainstream and cost effective.
    Quote:

You just dated yourself grandpa by saying warez kid lol who the f%$@ says that anymore? Wired mag?

I admit I feel about twenty years your elder right now. You are in single digits, right?
  • Reply 116 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macNewbTube View Post

http://macnewbtube.wordpress.com/200...eens-flash-hd/

Me likey!

nasty!

look like the HPs and Toshibas at best buy.

• Reply 117 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by p2rjade View Post

I would go for this.... I photoshop too..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13994703@N02/1423885327/

no.

good work, but it looks too much like commodity pcs from hp and toshiba. too cheap. apple will have to come out with somehting that tops the current models.
  • Reply 118 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

How about this :

1./ People who watch DVDs on their laptop

2./ People who backup their laptop

3./ People who use their (pro) laptop to burn DVD/CD

4./ People who have other people giving them data CD/DVD

the list is ENDLESS

dell did this a while ago as well where the optical drive was a separate enclosure. Major PITA

Why was it a PITA? Did Dell keep the lack of optical drive secret?
  • Reply 119 of 176
    Quote:

A RAID array installed in your own home has nothing to do with paying some company so many dollars per month for an online data service.

If an entire platter in your Level 1 RAID array goes completely bonkers, all your data is still intact due to its inherent redundancy. If you want to survive two-point or more failures, then higher level RAID arrays are also possibilities.

If you scratch your DVD, the file contained on that part of the disc is gone forever.
  • Reply 120 of 176
    so what do you think the odds are that this releases with the new os?