Up next for Apple: the return of the Newton

Comments

• Reply 281 of 313
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No we don't. We're all guessing. It's definitely not coming until 2009, and probably not even Macworld but it would make sense.

It is looking like there is a chance its gonna debut in 08!

The only thing I don't like about the new rumor is that the macdailynews source says its going to have a slot loading drive.

I don't like this. I think it should not have a media drive just like the macbook air. Its just going to add unneeded bulk. There should be a wireless connection to media sources.
  • Reply 282 of 313
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Hi gang;

Having had my iPhone 2 for a couple of days now I think I can offer up some perspective on what an ideal Newton would be like.

First consider this iPhone 2 could very well have been Newton 2 if it wasn't for the small screen size. On the other hand a hugely larger device isn't going to work in the pocket. So what we are talking about here is a screen mayby a half inch higher and atleast one & half wider. This stuffed into a physical enclosure as small as technically possible. The idea here is to make web browsing and document reading a better experience. This should also greatly enhance the play back of movies and multi media.

The constraints on physical hieght is to keep the device in a manner acceptable pocket travel. Here length would be more tolerable than width. Even with that said I wuold not want to see the newton 2 much more than 3/8" wider and an inch longer with apple giving up some of the bessel to increase screen size. If this sounds like I'm saying I want a bigger screen on a not much larger iPhone case that would be about right.

The next consideration would be a scripting environment. Here I'm talking an IDE app for the generation and execution of Python apps/scripts. The simple reality is that the iPhone cries out for a way to run and generate apps that don't require the over head of full XCode development. Currently the only alternative is web apps and they are too limited. Apple needs to wake up on this one.

Battery life is an issue but not as bad as has been made out. A slightly large device running the same basic hardware should have a big advantage here if Apple puts in a larger battery. What would really help here is that if Apple gave us the option of a back with solar cells. Maybe some sort of flip out solar panel.

A 3G option is a requirement. One I'm extremely surprised at just how handy the ability to get to the net from anywhere is. Second I see newton 2 as being a very useful Internet tablet and communications device that could also replace a persons cell phone. It's larger size though doesn't mean it is a given. Ideally the option would simply be a plug in module instead of the two devices arraingement we currently have. That is give us ok device that is modifiable via plug in socket for 3G or whatever wireless tech we choose. Done right this should be a huge win for both Apple and it's customers.

Better Bluetooth support!!!!! Not just Newton 2 either but all of Apples Touch devices. This is huge because current limitation grossly impact what one can deliver as apps. I'm beginning to think that a public effort is needed to get Apple to flesh out the basic Bluetooth profiles much like what was done to get the SDK out. I'm certain the hardware could be doing more than it is.

Replaceable battery. Need I say more! Very important for commercial use.

Dave
  • Reply 283 of 313
    If the new device is called Newton 2 then i will give you my weight in gold.... it is not a newton.... so dont call it a newton... my guess its called MacTouch... but don't get your hopes up
  • Reply 284 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneoftheothers View Post

If the new device is called Newton 2 then i will give you my weight in gold.... it is not a newton.... so dont call it a newton... my guess its called MacTouch... but don't get your hopes up

When people talk about Mac Touch they are for the most part talking about something completely different. Basically what I'm talking about in a Newton 2 is a larger iPhone, not a scaled down Mac. The application usage is completely different where the Newton 2 would simply offer the user a larger screen than the iPhone and thus they ability to better deliver multi media in a portable platform. Newton 2 is very much a pocketable device or at the most something that would live on the waist band.

The point is Newton 2 is simply a placeholder name for a physical device that helps focus people on size and functionality. What Apple calls it really is of no concern, the idea is that it deliver a certain amount of functionality that iPhone can't.

Dave
  • Reply 285 of 313
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

Form Factor:

1.5 times the size of the iPhone is the size of a small book.

Bigger Version on Flickr

I believe that 1.5 times the size of the iPhone would look more like this (5.6" display), not including the enormous bezel/chin:

• Reply 286 of 313
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

I believe that 1.5 times the size of the iPhone would look more like this (5.6" display), not including the enormous bezel/chin:

I think you're right My mockup is a little too high!
  • Reply 287 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

I think you're right My mockup is a little too high!

Yes. Do the mockup again without any chin or at least a minimalist one and also.......make it so you can fold it in half horizontally like a book. But don't make it two lcds. Make it one screen that folds in half....with some sort of flexible technology.
  • Reply 288 of 313
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

How about the MacOrigami?

C.

Welcome to 2006

http://www.origamiproject.com/3/
  • Reply 289 of 313
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Newton 2 is very much a pocketable device or at the most something that would live on the waist band.

:barf:
  • Reply 290 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

How about the MacOrigami?

C.

Welcome to 2006

http://www.origamiproject.com/3/

lol, but get out of here ....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

:barf:

i agree, what is this the age of beepers n cell phone clips :P

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yes. Do the mockup again without any chin or at least a minimalist one and also.......make it so you can fold it in half horizontally like a book. But don't make it two lcds. Make it one screen that folds in half....with some sort of flexible technology.

it won't fold in half.... where would you get that,,, good idea,,, just wnt happen
  • Reply 291 of 313
    Quote:

lol, but get out of here ....

it won't fold in half.... where would you get that,,, good idea,,, just wnt happen

The prototypes are out there. I would like to see it in a mockup.
  • Reply 292 of 313
    [QUOTE=oneoftheothers;1285394]lol, but get out of here ....

[\\quote]

I really believe you guys are missing the reality of what even a marginally larger screen can do for usability. Especially if that larger screen can be had in a device not much larger than iPhone. How is that possible you may ask, well three things come to mind.

Marginally larger dimensions. Even a half inch can do a lot for iPhone, more would be welcomed.

Folding screen. The tech is just coming out of the labs but of could lead to double the space in atleast one direction.

A roll out screen. This tech might be a little farther off. The problem with it though is that the screen isn't stiff.

Quote:

Folding screen tech is being actively worked on in the labs. Most such screens are OLED based.

As to the negativity around marginally larger devices do realize I have some experience with iPhone, maybe you don't, in any event the only issue I have with it besides the bugs is the sceen size. If you have never wanted just a bit more in a pocket device then that is you. Me want more!

Not a lot mind you just enough to add a couple of lines to the horizontal edit boxes. Also a bit more width

Dave
  • Reply 293 of 313
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J Fale View Post

Hi,

I apologize if this has been discussed, but my poor memory places the original Newton being released in 1998. I worked for Apple as a Service Technician from 92-99, and I believe it was released in July of 98 because I took my brand new Newton into the Continental Divide when I went hiking just days after its release.

The early 90's with 4 MB RAM in a Newton would have been unheard of, since 4/40 and 4/80 were about the only configurations offered for Macintosh desktops at that time. Truly, the Newton was ahead of its time (though many of us in Apple relied on it heavily for years), but I am not certain that any PDA existed before 1998. But like I said, I have a poor memory.

The Newton was introduced in 1993. Steve killed the Newton in February '98 after he came back to Apple. You came very late to the game there.
  • Reply 294 of 313
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

The Newton was introduced in 1993. Steve killed the Newton in February '98 after he came back to Apple. You came very late to the game there.

Technology isn't alive, it can't be killed.
  • Reply 295 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J Fale View Post

Hi,

Truly, the Newton was ahead of its time (though many of us in Apple relied on it heavily for years), but I am not certain that any PDA existed before 1998. But like I said, I have a poor memory.

Thanks for the article! We hope to hear more soon.

PDA certainly existed before 1998, there were the Alladin devices from MS and the nifty HP LX-100 one of the smallest DOS base device that was actually useful and had a usable keyboard that puts the Blackberry to shame!

I wanted a Newton2 to be exactly twice the size of the iPhone. Don't bother with any keyboard, just give us Wireless bluetooth keyboard support.
  • Reply 296 of 313
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I've been on the fence about getting a iPod Touch for productivity and internet. Keeping media on it would obviously be a plus.

Not too long ago there was a video demo of a folding screen. It was monochrome but showed the potential of the technology and it's being pursued. When mature enough, Apple would definitely be one of the first, if not the first, to implement it.

Check out folding:

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle1840485.ece

Rolling:

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Scienc...p?NewsNum=1359
  • Reply 297 of 313
    [QUOTE=Outsider;1286352]I've been on the fence about getting a iPod Touch for productivity and internet. Keeping media on it would obviously be a plus.

[\\quote]

The Touch might do as a productivity tool but if you are interested in such I believe the iPhone 3G is a better choice. Having just made the transition from a very dumb phone to a 3G I'm surprised at just how useful 3G is. Literally use it all the time now. If you get ride of your wired phone it isn't all that expensive.

Quote:

Not too long ago there was a video demo of a folding screen. It was monochrome but showed the potential of the technology and it's being pursued. When mature enough, Apple would definitely be one of the first, if not the first, to implement it.

Hopefully Apple will look onto this. But you do realize the same thing can be had in color screens. Ohh about a year an a half ago Photonics had a very interesting article on new display technologies. The tech is in the labs already. The biggest problem with the screens being the life of the light emitters. To that I say give us screens we can change like light bulbs.

Dave
  • Reply 298 of 313
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    If you're going to close quote tags yourself, you really should learn the difference between slash and backslash.
  • Reply 299 of 313
    brockwaybrockway Posts: 11member
    I wish oled was cheap enough to be used for a tablet like this. It would have the energy efficiency to give a good battery life, and its thin. I'd really like to see a durable display too. Something that you wouldn't have to worry about dropping. Plastic Logic's display, thought not color yet, is supposed to have battery life that lasts for days and looks pretty durable - and the size is great - fits a letter sized page (8 1/2 x 11).
  • Reply 300 of 313
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    "Holy Necroposts, Batman!"