Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers (photos)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 156
    something is wrong about it...

it looks like an imac that they flipped on its side and then put a smaller screen in...

do you think it was originally copie.. I mean designed that way? or in a brilliant cost cuttin... I mean engineering feat they where able to solve the zero footprint problem with a Jay Leno chin?
  • Reply 62 of 156
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgabrys View Post

And I'll just get my copy of Bioshock for .... oh wait - never mind.

And thanks Apple for crappy laptop video so I can't even run the fucking game in parallels or bootcamp. But hey - it's 1500 for the BLACK! Can't run shit for games - but it's BLACK.

Oh I can also play photoshop. Whee.

Did you pay extra for black without realizing it cost extra?

Sounds like you made an unwise purchase if you wanted a gaming laptop. Not Apple's fault that a particular Mac model meets someone else's needs instead of yours. I wish the bottom-end Mac laptop was better for games too, but the bottom-end laptop was never going to be a good Bioshock system. If you expected that, then you did end up with the wrong Mac.

You might have preferred an iMac, which would run Bioshock MUCH better than this Gateway--and cost less--while being able to run BOTH Mac OS X and Windows.
  • Reply 63 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acknight View Post

Why would Apple have a reason to lower prices? The Gateway, on the whole, is more expensive (if slightly at some levels) than the iMac's price points, and 19" all the way up (the loaded model's at a similar price point to the 24" iMac... with more memory, yes, but a much smaller screen)

Competition == good. I'm not sure where it'll be good for Gateway, with those price points, though.

This is Gateway's first attempt. If it has some success, then by version 3 it might be some real competition. I'm still not sure Windows consumers will be interested in an AIO. Are some Windows consumers buying IMacs because they want an AIO? Or is it because of OS X versus Windows? I'm not sure......
  • Reply 64 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

This is Gateway's first attempt. If it has some success, then by version 3 it might be some real competition. I'm still not sure Windows consumers will be interested in an AIO. Are some Windows consumers buying IMacs because they want an AIO? Or is it because of OS X versus Windows? I'm not sure......

Ummm this is NOT Gateway's first attempt, Look up "gateway profile" on Google.
  • Reply 65 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.

Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

While the Gateway's screen is too small, it shouldn't take long for a larger version to become available. While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

You are one paranoid sonofagun.

As much as I'd like all computers to have hotswappable memory units, like some of the powerbooks of yore, I really doubt that the one time you might want to change harddrives in the life of your iMac, the chance of privacy theft is hardly enough to put someone through years of Windows.

That said it looks okay. It is like Gateway trying to split the difference between Apple and Sony design aesthetics - it looks like a short, squat iMac that is trying to pretend to be a tiny plasma screen TV when it isn't on. Kinda okay, but missing the mark of an identity.
  • Reply 66 of 156
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

Maybe if you didn't use insulting terms like "retarded" in your posts you wouldn't come off as so ignorant. Honestly, that's something a child would say. Grow up. Most buyers of all-in-one computers never open their computers anyway nor would they want to.
  • Reply 67 of 156
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

You are one paranoid sonofagun.

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Maybe if you didn't use insulting terms like "retarded" in your posts you wouldn't come off as so ignorant. Honestly, that's something a child would say. Grow up.

Oh dear, I offended the PC police. Whatever shall I do?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Most buyers of all-in-one computers never open their computers anyway nor would they want to.

That doesn't mean they don't ask their friends, relatives or co-workers to do it for them.

Having to take a computer to an authorized service depot to replace a hard drive is silly. I'm glad Gateway has shown us here that it's totally unnecessary. It's embarassing to see Cupertino be out-designed by Gateway, of all people. I've used Apple computers since they came with 9" screens but that doesn't mean I'm going to stay silent while Apple rips people off.

Going for good looks is fine, but forcing obsolescence through such silly control freak measures needs to be challenged.
  • Reply 68 of 156
    Gateway: suckiest OEM in the world. Take away Windows and you have an uninspired version of the new iMac which in turn is only a somewhat inspired copy of ugly Windows PCs - of course with the system in the screen but still and all. You think Apple hardware quality is bad? Step up to Gateway!
  • Reply 69 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I wish the bottom-end Mac laptop was better for games too, but the bottom-end laptop was never going to be a good Bioshock system. If you expected that, then you did end up with the wrong Mac.

You might have preferred an iMac, which would run Bioshock MUCH better than this Gateway--and cost less--while being able to run BOTH Mac OS X and Windows.

I need to take a laptop to the office. iMac no workie there sonny boy. Although if I did have a 1500 dollar (or cheaper) Wintel laptop I'd have BioShock bliss. Of course - this kind of featureset seems to escape Apple's tech labs in favor of the "icing on the shitcake" lab.
  • Reply 70 of 156
    There is more to good design than just a few glossy photos. We as Apple owners take good design for granted as Apple invests time in tuning every single detail and works out the technical implications. No other PC maker (including Gateway, Dell, HP or Sony) does this nor are they actually have the capability to since none of them have full control of the internal hardware of the software. If you were to get up close and use one of the Gateway boxes, you will quickly see how it fails to deliver what Apple does.
  • Reply 71 of 156
    uh. you can replace a harddisk in an iMac, it's not hard. Anyway most people just buy a USB2 or Firewire disk its much less hassle.
  • Reply 72 of 156
    Quote:

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

Only retarded people would prefer to open a computer up to remove the hard drive for security sake instead of buying an external hard disk that they could easily take with them as they leave.
  • Reply 73 of 156
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I'm glad Gateway has shown us here that it's totally unnecessary.

That "feature" is what makes this thing almost 4 inches thick. If people just are obsessed with the need to swap out/replace/upgrade/remove/change things, they need to just get a tower. Gateway is sacrificing thickness and putting the PS external just to allow some school or corporate IT guys to think they are getting a benefit (they always say they "need to swap out the hard drive").

I wonder if it has the requisite "spare PCIe slot" that everybody wants but nobody ever uses?
  • Reply 74 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The hard drive is like the cell phone battery. Its going to take a long time before it fails. By that point most people will just buy a new one.

There is a far higher chance more memory will be added than a new hard drive.

Yeah, except I'd rather buy MY choice of hard disk to put into the iMac instead of buying the ridiculous upgrade prices that Apple offers for a hard disk that you don't even know the brand of, e.g. if you upgrade the low-end 20" model from a 250 GB to a 500 GB hard drive you are paying more than what a 500 GB drive costs.

Not to mention the fact that even if you do feel capable of changing the new iMac's hard disk, you will be left with no warranty.
  • Reply 75 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

uh. you can replace a harddisk in an iMac, it's not hard. Anyway most people just buy a USB2 or Firewire disk its much less hassle.

That's true for the old models, but the new aluminium models are very difficult to open because of the glass in front of the monitor which is being held by magnets... even repair centers are complaining!

Firewire is really a LOT slower than using eSATA or an internal disk, I know because I am forced to use one right now since my internal disk has just died on me and I can't afford the time to repair it just now...
  • Reply 76 of 156
    2 hard drive bays, easy user access to all components? These things alone make it a better deal than the iMac, even at a higher price, even with lower video and CPU specs.
  • Reply 77 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

This is the most beautiful post I have ever seen. The End.

The only thing I can say is that he forgot to mention the price/specs superiority of the iMac.

And on a related note, this is the point where I laugh at all the 'PCs are so much cheaper than Macs" people. The iMac is obviously a superior product, at a cheaper price point, yet not many people have commented on that yet.
  • Reply 78 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

Not to mention the fact that even if you do feel capable of changing the new iMac's hard disk, you will be left with no warranty.

You'll void your warranty on the Gateway as well.
  • Reply 79 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

That's true for the old models, but the new aluminium models are very difficult to open because of the glass in front of the monitor which is being held by magnets... even repair centers are complaining!

Firewire is really a LOT slower than using eSATA or an internal disk, I know because I am forced to use one right now since my internal disk has just died on me and I can't afford the time to repair it just now...

The Current iMac is a lot easier to get into than the last 2 iMac revisions, and far easier than any revision of any Gateway all-in-one machine ever was.

I guess I can kinda understand the complaints from some people, although I am an Apple Tech and really have no problem taking apart any of Apple's products, so I'd be doing my own upgrade/repairs. That is the nature of things though, if you can't do something yourself, you can learn how to do it yourself, pay someone that can, no different than a carpenter, plumber, electrician.

Having said that, the number of times last week I've had to charge people $39.95 to install a hard disk into a computer that is "user accessible" is somewhere in the 40s or 50s. Even Dell notebook hard drives that require removing 2 screws, taking no longer than 3 minutes to do. If you don't want a computer you can't change the hard disk out yourself, then don't get that one. But don't pretend for a moment that Apple is the only computer company that makes non-user servicable hard disks. And don't pretend this is a new trend for Apple (it's been that way for years.)

Making the hard drive user accessible is not going to be the deal breaker here. The specs alone not to mention the lower price of the iMac would make this decision easy. Not to mention the fact that the iMac is going to Run Windows Better than the Gateway would.
  • Reply 80 of 156
    Quote:

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing.

I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

Very perceptive, and I manage a PC network for my parent's business so in that regard I would agree with you. However, the point to notice is that this PC is targeted towards home users, NOT businesses (since no administrator would choose it as part of a standard network.) As such, we MUST realize that the utter helplessness and total dependance of home users on other people to fix thier Windows PC, with all of thier software issues, wherefore "seedy" technicians that have no other skills except to support home users -- techs who end up "fixing" computers, resorting to readily-available remote access software (such as LogMeIn or GoToAssist) --- the latter is a comparably worse alternative in terms of privacy.

Therefore, for self reliance and security, I MUST recommend a time-tested Mac with the latest version of OS X -- with the included and quite reliable fully integrated Apple FileVault encryption enabled.

That's all the is to it. For home users.

And Apple wants those users, thats who many of these products are for.

Don't be deceived by imitators.