Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers (photos)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 156
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgabrys View Post

I need to take a laptop to the office. iMac no workie there sonny boy. Although if I did have a 1500 dollar (or cheaper) Wintel laptop I'd have BioShock bliss. Of course - this kind of featureset seems to escape Apple's tech labs in favor of the "icing on the shitcake" lab.

Why don't you just sell your Mac and admit that you made a mistake? You're just not a Mac kind of guy. No harm in that. Get a PC and find your 'bliss'.
  • Reply 82 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

Only retarded people would prefer to open a computer up to remove the hard drive for security sake instead of buying an external hard disk that they could easily take with them as they leave.

I don't think you understand me. Since a hard drive is one of the main components in a computer, and sizes increase significantly over time, I think it makes sense for a consumer to be able to replace the drive themselves rather than have to take the machine to a service centre.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

That "feature" is what makes this thing almost 4 inches thick. If people just are obsessed with the need to swap out/replace/upgrade/remove/change things, they need to just get a tower.

I wonder if it has the requisite "spare PCIe slot" that everybody wants but nobody ever uses?

Yeah, I'm going to end up with a second hand Mac Pro. Buying a brand new one is expensive and overkill for my needs. If the iMac had that one feature though, it would fit the bill perfectly.

I do not, on the other hand, know of any good use for that PCIe slot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

The Current iMac is a lot easier to get into than the last 2 iMac revisions, and far easier than any revision of any Gateway all-in-one machine ever was.

That's the exact opposite of everything I've heard so far. The reviews I've read of the new iMac said that the new enclosure was held together by a complex system of magnets and that taking it apart wasn't something that even experienced tinkerers should mess with.
  • Reply 83 of 156
    Then these repair centers are total retards. This is the easiest iMac yet to replace the hard drive.

I bought a 24" aluminum iMac the day they came out and a 750gb hard drive. I bought 2 suction cups at Wal-Mart for $1.50 and lifted the glass off (you barely even have to try). Unscrewed about 10 screws to release the LCD and that's it.

Right under the LCD sits the hard drive. It's not even held together by screws. You just push on it and lift.

If I can figure that out without ever seeing one of these iMacs before, then maybe I should be working at these repair centers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

That's true for the old models, but the new aluminium models are very difficult to open because of the glass in front of the monitor which is being held by magnets... even repair centers are complaining!

• Reply 84 of 156
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

2 hard drive bays, easy user access to all components? These things alone make it a better deal than the iMac, even at a higher price, even with lower video and CPU specs.

Let me guess - upgradeability is the number one spec for you, right?

You'd pay the $1500 for this, then replace the hard drive, processor, and GPU, and add a second hard drive. Then overclock the FSB. Then swap out the LCD for a "decent" one.
  • Reply 85 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

This is actually not half bad. It's attractive and minimalist and, aside from choice of colors (as if there's that much variation in minimalist design in the first place), stands well against the iMac. I'm all for attractive aesthetics outside of Apple. At least it shows a little competitive spirit... I have to admit, I like the leaning-slate form. Kind of cool.

If by competitive you mean flattery by imitation ...Honestly, the slate form is nice, but I hope it doesn't restrict the viewing angle of the screen to be slanting away from the user. I almost always use my screens 90deg perpendicular to the desk plane, or otherwise slanting *towards* me slightly (particularly when gaming).

BTW typing this on the matte screen iMac 17" Core2Duo. A classic, timeless. I don't think the Gateway will rival these qualities.
  • Reply 86 of 156
    self-censored...
  • Reply 87 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Then these repair centers are total retards. This is the easiest iMac yet to replace the hard drive.

I bought a 24" aluminum iMac the day they came out and a 750gb hard drive. I bought 2 suction cups at Wal-Mart for $1.50 and lifted the glass off (you barely even have to try). Unscrewed about 10 screws to release the LCD and that's it.

Right under the LCD sits the hard drive. It's not even held together by screws. You just push on it and lift.

If I can figure that out without ever seeing one of these iMacs before, then maybe I should be working at these repair centers.

The problem is not so much taking it apart, but rather putting it back together. I probably could do it too, but that's not to say it's easy. Indeed, Apple has advised techs to use white gloves throughout the whole process so as not to leave fingerprints on the inside of the glass, and to be extra careful with dust particles gathering on the inside...

I understand that such a compact computer needs to make some concessions like this one, I just wished that Apple didn't rip off customers with their excessive hard drive upgrade prices...

BTW, do you have to break any of the "Warranty void" stickers to remove the hard drive?
  • Reply 88 of 156
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I really don't understand the polemic about the possibility to change the hard drive in an iMac. Even in the Macbook it is very easy to do it and Apple has an DIY guide on this.
  • Reply 89 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

2 hard drive bays, easy user access to all components? These things alone make it a better deal than the iMac, even at a higher price, even with lower video and CPU specs.

Not sure what planet you are from, but it ain't this one.
  • Reply 90 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

The demographic of an iMac user is of a person who is not going to change their own hard drive regardless of reason.

Nonsense. The demographic of iMac users is anyone wanting a Mac for home use. It is the ONLY Mac that comes close to being a reasonable price for the average home user. That is pretty much why I ended up buying an iMac. I wanted a Mac and the Mac Pro is too expensive and the Mini is overpriced for what it offers. The fact that I can't upgrade one bloody part of it beyond the memory was a trade-off I had to accept to get a Mac. Would I have liked a better option, something with an actual upgrade path? Heck yes.

Of course, when I think about, what peripherals are available to fill those empty PCI slots in a Mac Pro. Are there actually video cards available with Mac drivers? Sound cards? TV Tuner cards? Will a Mac recognize a PhysX board? Anything that a home user would be interested in?
  • Reply 91 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's the exact opposite of everything I've heard so far. The reviews I've read of the new iMac said that the new enclosure was held together by a complex system of magnets and that taking it apart wasn't something that even experienced tinkerers should mess with.

Is that because you are choosing to ignore the techs that think otherwise (like myself) generally you are only going to hear complaints from people that are going to complain, there are many out there that are indifferent and aren't saying anything, if you ask those same techs if it is the worst machine to get into, they will likely say no (if they say yes, then I'd question their experience, the original Macintosh was more difficult to get into, heck the CRT iMacs are harder to work on.) The only thing required to take the glass off the complex system of magnets (how are magnets complex?) is a suction cup with a handle. There are 10 screws beneath that to take the front bezel off. and a few screws to get the LCD out, after that you have access to everything. This model doesn't require the care nesessary to take off the foil shielding that was sealed all the way around the perimeter of the bezel, that rarely came off without ripping the foil and ruining it. Putting it back together doesn't require replacing any sealant. Talk to the 5 techs in my shop and they will say the same thing, the goofy latch alone on the previous 2 versions of the iMac often took 10 minutes to get open alone.

But does it really matter to the consumer how hard or easy something is to take apart for a tech, all the tech shops I've worked in charge the same amount for a drive replacement no matter how difficult or easy it is to get into. We charge 39.95 for drive replacement on anything, even iBooks (by far the most difficult to take apart.)
  • Reply 92 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zolk View Post

While the AppleInsider article mentions the USB, Firewire, and audio ports are on the power adapter, an Engadget photo clears shows them on the side of the unit. This is one of the design flaw in this system. Even without cords protruding out of those ports, their mere presence tarnishes the design aesthetic.

The article implied, to me at least, that there were some Firewire and USB etc ports on the unit itself, and more were offloaded onto the power supply.

The idea being that you take any permanent fixtures and plug them in to the power supply on the floor (thus keeping all the cables entirely totally off the desk and out of sight), and then only use the on-unit ports for devices that frequently move around and only need temporary connections.

For that purpose, I'd prefer having the ports on the side rather than the back, so it's easy to find them without fumbling around the back of the unit when I'm ready to plug/unplug.
  • Reply 93 of 156
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

For that purpose, I'd prefer having the ports on the side rather than the back, so it's easy to find them without fumbling around the back of the unit when I'm ready to plug/unplug.

I think both have their points. A long-term device like a printer, scanner, iPod, external hard drive can connect to the back, but a thumb drive or camcorder should have an easier to access port.

When I had my mini, rooting around back there had often disconnected an audio cable, among other things.
  • Reply 94 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think both have their points. A long-term device can connect to the back, but a thumb drive should have an easier to access port.

When I had my mini, rooting around back there had often disconnected an audio cable, among other things.

The keyboard that comes with the iMac has 2 USB 2.0 ports on it, one for the mouse and the other can easily be used to plug in devices you need access to often, like flash drives. The keyboard is the most convenient place for it.
  • Reply 95 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why don't you just sell your Mac and admit that you made a mistake? You're just not a Mac kind of guy. No harm in that. Get a PC and find your 'bliss'.

And good luck finding this $1500 PC laptop that actually not a complete piece of garbage. Or pay an extra $400 and go for the MacBook Pro, that has actually been called a desktop replacement because it is so powerful.
  • Reply 96 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Let me guess - upgradeability is the number one spec for you, right?

You'd pay the $1500 for this, then replace the hard drive, processor, and GPU, and add a second hard drive. Then overclock the FSB. Then swap out the LCD for a "decent" one.

Over time, yes to almost all of those.

Yes, upgradeability is the number one most important spec for any intelligent computer consumer. Only an extremely foolish person doesn't regard this as critically important. If you hate upgradeability, perhaps you enjoy lighting money on fire as well.

I only paid about $1500 for my G4 tower when I bought it. Since then I've upgraded the internal hard drives twice, upgraded the optical drive twice, upgraded the graphics card once, upgraded the processor once, upgraded the RAM three times, replaced the monitor once, and increased its functionality by adding 2 PCI cards. Why is it 7 years later, when the cost of comuters has dropped dramatically overall, I now have to pay twice as much to get the same functionality? I desperately want to buy a new Mac, but Apple simply does not make one that is both useable and affordable. Give us iMac specs in an open box that allows the user to swap out any and all components as needed over time, and Apple will have their best selling computer ever.
  • Reply 97 of 156
    Oh this was a great story to bring the pathetic fanboys out of their closet!!!

There are so sooo many posts i could reply to here, but i have a life and do not have time, but..

1 - You mac fanboys have no idea how many normal people actually do upgrade their PC's, upgrading to a larger and faster hard drive is a doddle on a normal PC and so many people do it, not just techies.

2 - there are some desktop components in this machine, the iMac is nothing more that a laptop, the only desktop component in an iMac is the 3.5" hard drive.

3 - Apple is a company, they make computers, they make lots of money from fanboys, they are not a religion, Steve Jobs is not God. They love the fact that people masturbate over the latest update to iPhoto - they have based a whole business around that fact!! get over yourselves please and get a life! This site makes me embarrassed to be a Mac user.
  • Reply 98 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac."

While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

I'm sure he must have meant to say "Only retarded people would live in a country where they pay taxes to support a bureaucrat Privacy Commissioner to caution people against buying the iMac because of difficult hard drive access."

These same retarded people would probably listen -- like sheep -- to someone who, although "extremely partial to the Mac OS," would counsel friends and family to buy ANY COMPUTER RUNNING THE VASTLY MORE INSECURE WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM before buying a current iMac because of what potential data insecurity might occur IF their hard drive failed and IF the Apple Tech working on it was a info thief.

Dude, how much did they pay you for your soul?
  • Reply 99 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Steve Jobs is not God ... people masturbate over the latest update to iPhoto .

Well, that's it then. I'm buying one of these Gateways, since it's not made by a big, bad computer company with products people get off on, or run by anybody famous.

And I guess I'll throw my MBP 2.33GHz out in the dustbin as well, since it's only a laptop and not nearly as wonderful as a Gateway One must be, what with all its desktop components and superior hard drive replacement accessibility.
  • Reply 100 of 156
    Quote:

Oh this was a great story to bring the pathetic fanboys out of their closet!!!

There are so sooo many posts i could reply to here, but i have a life and do not have time, but..

1 - You mac fanboys have no idea how many normal people actually do upgrade their PC's, upgrading to a larger and faster hard drive is a doddle on a normal PC and so many people do it, not just techies.

And do you know how many people then bring in those computers they updated to have a tech fix it for them? Most of the time because they didn't set the jumpers right. People that buy these types of computers just don't do upgrades other than RAM, I've not once been asked up upgrade any of the previous 6 versions of the Gateway Profile before this.

Quote:

2 - there are some desktop components in this machine, the iMac is nothing more that a laptop, the only desktop component in an iMac is the 3.5" hard drive.

How many laptops are running ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro video cards? I'm sure if there are any out there, they are faster than the Gateway, and more expensive. How do you know what "desktop" components are in the Gateway? Is there really any distinction anymore? Any MacBook Pro will outperform this Gateway. So what difference does it make that it is Desktop or Laptops parts? You are not ever going to be able to upgrade anything in the Gateway besides the Hard disk and RAM.

Quote:

3 - Apple is a company, they make computers, they make lots of money from fanboys, they are not a religion, Steve Jobs is not God. They love the fact that people masturbate over the latest update to iPhoto - they have based a whole business around that fact!! get over yourselves please and get a life! This site makes me embarrassed to be a Mac user.

The same can be said about NASCAR, Star Wars, and so forth, but if you are going to use a piece of equipment to do work, you might as well enjoy it. This still doesn't address the point we've all made, the Specs on the iMac are far better than the Gateway and it costs less. To me it matters not that the Hard drive is easy to get to because I do ALL my own service on ANY machine out there, and make money from those that can't.

So far it looks like it has done a fine job bringing the trolls out the closets.