Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers (photos)

Comments

• Reply 101 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Well...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

And...

Please do not feed the trolls.
  • Reply 102 of 156
    Quote:

I'm sure he must have meant to say "Only retarded people would live in a country where they pay taxes to support a bureaucrat Privacy Commissioner to caution people against buying the iMac because of difficult hard drive access."

Save this for the PO forum.

Quote:

These same retarded people would probably listen -- like sheep -- to someone who, although "extremely partial to the Mac OS," would counsel friends and family to buy ANY COMPUTER RUNNING THE VASTLY MORE INSECURE WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM before buying a current iMac because of what potential data insecurity might occur IF their hard drive failed and IF the Apple Tech working on it was a info thief.

Dude, how much did they pay you for your soul?

I know it's hard to hear, but if someone's only interested in typing letters in Word, surfing the Web and checking email, there's not a whole lot of difference between the two major platforms.

The virus thing is a problem, but manageable. I've been on the Mac since we all needed to keep SAV definitions fully updated or risk having every Quark or Pagemaker file we shared contaminated. With the increasing popularity of the Mac OS, that time may come for us again in the future.

The hard drive thing isn't some random feature that I'm harping on because I think my iMac disk will fail. It's about best practices. To lock up the components of a computer simply to force replacement sooner in its life cycle is wasteful and unnecessary. The iMac already has a forced obsolescence factor by virtue of its screen. Given that there is no mid-pro tower in the lineup, it's silly to further inconvenience users who might want to upgrade a drive (or ask a friend to do it for them.)

Aside from disk failure, our storage needs may increase very quickly. iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie certainly made storage needs jump when they were each introduced. With TV and Movie downloads on the horizon, it's not unreasonable to think that many consumers might need to upgrade their drives in short order.

Apple's a great company, but it is a company. It looks out for itself and its shareholders. That's not always the same as looking out for its users. The recent iMovie debacle and the forced iPhone rebate show that the company makes mistakes and responds to its users demands.

So instead of the fanboys arguing nonsense like "no-one really needs to replace an iMac drive', maybe more users should speak up and tell Apple that access to internal components is a core need that should be worked on in the next rev.
  • Reply 103 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If I were at home with my Mac I would have done a proper job on this... but at work I'm stuck with MS Paint!!!

Its cool nonetheless, and points out how Apple is still the only innovator when it comes to style. But that doesn't mean that Apple can't be improved upon.

I actually think the imac should have looked more like this. It would have very nicely tied together the ipod, iphone, and imac for an aesthetically uniform line of products. Instead, the new imac has aluminum which is very nice, but doesn't look at all like the touch, iphone and nanos (at least not from the front view).

If this could run MacOSX, I would seriously consider it as a replacement to my ancient powerbook. This gateway is beautiful, but as long as its running MSFT, it will lose in the long run. I think Gateway needs to find a way to let people install OSX on their PCs. Is this possible?

This may have been covered in a different thread, but why can't Gateway/Dell/HP just start making their systems compatible with OSX? Does Apple have a patent on a certain system that restricts other pc's from running OSX? Aren't they all running the same 'intel inside' hardware now?
  • Reply 104 of 156
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    And you still have a 167 mHz frontside bus.

I think you will find that if you had sold the G4 on eBay when you wanted to upgrade, and bought an Apple Refurbished machine, the difference in what you paid to get the new machine would have been less than all the money you poured into the upgrades. And you'd have a new power supply and a 1.5 gHz frontside bus and FireWire 800 and optical audio out.
  • Reply 105 of 156
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb

This site makes me embarrassed to be a Mac user.

And your name-calling makes me embarrassed that we have such rude users here, so I am reducing the number by one, namely you.
  • Reply 106 of 156
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

1 - You mac fanboys have no idea how many normal people actually do upgrade their PC's, upgrading to a larger and faster hard drive is a doddle on a normal PC and so many people do it, not just techies.

I do understand that hard drive upgrades may be a limiting issue. The amount of data that computers need to store grows all the time. I certainly couldn't get away with just one hard drive, but I'm not the iMac target market. I do want an iMac some day as a workbench machine, but that's not now. I'd rather install a hard drive from Best Buy than pay Apple 2x-3x as much for their hard drive upgrades.

Quote:

2 - there are some desktop components in this machine, the iMac is nothing more that a laptop, the only desktop component in an iMac is the 3.5" hard drive.

The display panel is an obvious desktop component. The rest of the stuff, that's hard to say, the circuit boards aren't the same, it's all custom integrated.

The problem with that argument is that somehow, Apple's unit has more for less money, faster clocked chip, larger screen, even when hampered with the use of more expensive notebook CPU.
  • Reply 107 of 156
    Quote:

The keyboard that comes with the iMac has 2 USB 2.0 ports on it, one for the mouse and the other can easily be used to plug in devices you need access to often, like flash drives. The keyboard is the most convenient place for it.

Cool. I'm still working with a last-generation iMac keyboard, and it only has USB 1.1 ports.

Of course, since every Gateway "One" comes with a Bluetooth keyboard as standard equipment, I suppose that's not an option for them.
  • Reply 108 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think both have their points. A long-term device like a printer, scanner, iPod, external hard drive can connect to the back, but a thumb drive or camcorder should have an easier to access port.

When I had my mini, rooting around back there had often disconnected an audio cable, among other things.

With the layout of my desk, I would just as soon plug my printer's USB port into a box on the floor midway between the workspace and the printer caddie. Of course, other peoples' different layouts may lead to different conclusions.

I'm torn with an external hard drive that never goes anywhere - on the one hand, it's comforting to be able to see the diagnostic light. That being the case, I might be inclined to keep it on my desk anyway, and in that case plugging it into the back of the computer wouldn't be adding any significant amount to the clutter on my desk....

On the other hand, all my internal hard drives spend their entire life out of sight, so why should an "always-on" external hard drive be any different? In that case, I may be inclined hide the internal hard drive away somewhere, and then it'd be nice to not have any extra cables creeping off my desk top to service it.

Certainly, if the PSU needs to be distinct from the rest of the computer for some reason, it makes sense that the GbE port may as well be offloaded to the same place - I mean, the cables supplying power and Ethernet are both originating at the same place (a port on the wall) so they may as well both terminate at the same place too.

And if, as a result, I end up with only one cable winding its way up into the back of my computer instead of 5 (AC, Ethernet, printer, external hard drive, S/PDIF), hey, I'm all for it.
  • Reply 109 of 156
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Well, at least you'd be avoiding that expensive Apple Tax™. Because, as any Windoze fan boy will tell you, those Apples are so much more expensive for weaker hardware...oh, wait...nevermind!

I do agree that placing some ports in the power brick is a logical idea that reduces desk clutter.
  • Reply 110 of 156
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Are we sure this thing is an All In One?

That looks awfully like the base unit to me...

• Reply 111 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

With the layout of my desk, I would just as soon plug my printer's USB port into a box on the floor midway between the workspace and the printer caddie. Of course, other peoples' different layouts may lead to different conclusions.

I'm torn with an external hard drive that never goes anywhere - on the one hand, it's comforting to be able to see the diagnostic light. That being the case, I might be inclined to keep it on my desk anyway, and in that case plugging it into the back of the computer wouldn't be adding any significant amount to the clutter on my desk....

On the other hand, all my internal hard drives spend their entire life out of sight, so why should an "always-on" external hard drive be any different? In that case, I may be inclined hide the internal hard drive away somewhere, and then it'd be nice to not have any extra cables creeping off my desk top to service it.

Certainly, if the PSU needs to be distinct from the rest of the computer for some reason, it makes sense that the GbE port may as well be offloaded to the same place - I mean, the cables supplying power and Ethernet are both originating at the same place (a port on the wall) so they may as well both terminate at the same place too.

And if, as a result, I end up with only one cable winding its way up into the back of my computer instead of 5 (AC, Ethernet, printer, external hard drive, S/PDIF), hey, I'm all for it.

Can you imagine how much it will cost to replace that particular Power Brick?
  • Reply 112 of 156
    at least they didn't copy the mac.
  • Reply 113 of 156
    I actually think this design is NICER than the iMac in some ways. I really like the all black glass face. It's looks much better than the raccoon effect of the 1" black border on the iMac. That said... I think the iMac foot is nicer looking that having the machine come right down to the desk with a little 'kick stand' in the back.
  • Reply 114 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

And you still have a 167 mHz frontside bus.

I think you will find that if you had sold the G4 on eBay when you wanted to upgrade, and bought an Apple Refurbished machine, the difference in what you paid to get the new machine would have been less than all the money you poured into the upgrades. And you'd have a new power supply and a 1.5 gHz frontside bus and FireWire 800 and optical audio out.

Not even close.

The upgraded G4 I have at home keeps up with the G5 I have at work just fine. The upgrades really were not all that expensive, considering hard drives, RAM, and monitors were things I would have bought anyway no matter what computer I had. Factoring the most I could possibly have gotten for my G4, and the least I could have gotten a refurb G5 for, the difference is still a lot more than what I've outlayed, AND I got to buy the components one at a time, each time making the computer a little better. Plus, I can take some of those componenets with me and put them to use with a new machine.

The only reason I want to replace that tower is I have maxed out my upgrade paths over those 7 years, and it's time to start from scratch again.
  • Reply 115 of 156
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Can you imagine how much it will cost to replace that particular Power Brick?

Good point, but in my experience, I've yet to replace any power brick on any piece of electronics I've ever owned...
  • Reply 116 of 156
    I'm sure one of the primary reasons people switch to macs is the operating system, not just design and aesthetics. I doubt this computer will make a difference to apple sales.
  • Reply 117 of 156
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwilli View Post

I'm sure one of the primary reasons people switch to macs is the operating system, not just design and aesthetics. I doubt this computer will make a difference to apple sales.

I don't think it'll have a noticeable effect on Apple's sales, but it'll be interesting to see what happens to it nonetheless.

Many of the "anti-xMac" crowd reckon that Windows users don't buy all-in-ones because no-one makes a decent Windows all-in-one. Now, there is one so we can see whether there is all this supposed pent-up demand from Windows users to get an all-in-one.
  • Reply 118 of 156
    Half a Jedi. Half a Jedi...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 119 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That might infringe on Apple's patent for a built-in camera. I'm sure Apple lawyers are looking into it.

Patent for a built in camera?.. are you joking.. apple wasn't even the first to offer a built in camera.. they just have a better design style but they are not the first and how exactly could this be patented?. What exactly would a company patent?.. the the camera is built in?.
  • Reply 120 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

And just how many users know how to replace a hard drive?

I have a iMac. I guess I must be retarted.

Screw you.

Actually you are retarded.. hard drives are one of the easiest things to replace. If you don't know to replace a hard drive, you can't replace anything.

The retarded comment was in jest.. you are probably a old grandmother who doesn't know computers or perhaps someone else who doesn't know anything about hardware.. no shame in that. Not everyone knows how to be a doctor or a musician, etc.. so not everyone knows about computers but your hard drive should be really easy to replace.