Apple announcements brewing for late October

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoBird View Post

Announcing the release vs. the actual physical release are two completely different things.

I personally guarantee that this time next year we'll be shipping 3GHz G5s.

• Reply 62 of 84
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    If 9A559 is the GM, Apple will get knocked onto its ass by the media. People will be reporting bugs and weirdness' left and right. I kid you not.

The known problems is a big joke. Known show-stopper perhaps...but there are tons of fairly important bugs that need to be addressed before GM or it'll be Tiger all over again...only perhaps worse.

edit: OT: typing this on Apple's new keyboard. It's awesome so far. I like it much better than other keyboards. Scared to dirty it though. Of course, 5 minutes of testing isn't enough to really gauge how good this keyboard...and who knows, maybe it'll break early...so frickin' thin and so are the keys.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I cannot imagine how/where I would place such a keyboard when typing, given that the iPhone has to be at a sufficiently short distance from my eye so that I can see what I am typing!

Perhaps a full-sized keyboard for laptop placement, complete with iPhone "dock" at the top and a magnifying lens (adjustable for distance to ensure correct focus) for those of us with aging eyes.

Oh, wait, for that kid of investment and real estate, I could just carry a MacBook and a cheap phone, and have M$ Office compatibility as well!
  • Reply 64 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoBird View Post

Well this does not bode well for actually seeing the physical release of Leopard in October. Announcing the release vs. the actual physical release are two completely different things.

This article doesn't say they're going to make an announcement but not ship it, you're just jumping to conclusions.

If apple was going to delay the release by a week, they'd just send out invites to an event first week in November.

They have said October, and it looks like it will be released october.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

Give us our Mac Pros NOW!!!!

I think will come alongside new displays. It could be very well announced at the end of the month with shipping dates around middle of November when the chips will be available from Intel.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    Leopard isn't ready. 9A559 is a mess.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    The reseller network was told this morning to prepare for the event so that must mean actual product to sell not just announcements.

Leopard 9A559 isn't ready for prime time, but based on the progress they've made recently I'd guess the build running in Cupertino today is very close to release quality.

I'd welcome new hardware alongside the Leopard release, but Steve seems to like putting everything in its own spotlight so if there is hardware it'll probably be a speed bump that doesn't get anything more than an emailed press release.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I heard it will be an iLawyer to combat all of the frivolous lawsuits.

Does this include lawsuits by Apple against anyone who uses the word "pod"?
  • Reply 69 of 84
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

While sources have requested that we not go into detail regarding the specific measures being put into place...

In other words, AppleInsider knows just as much as we do
  • Reply 70 of 84
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

I wonder why apple doesn't allow for online purchase&download of leopard. With Broadband Speeds reaching up to 50Mbps such a download could be done very quick. Burn your own DVD for Backup.

and most people have around 4-10MB/s... leopard is at least a few gigs, that would take quite a while and honestly would be very frivolous.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Top Secret Features I hope!

-=|Mgkwho

You need to stop doing that. Please stop doing that.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Leopard isn't ready. 9A559 is a mess.

Care to elaborate? Cause one post and all, you could be Ballmer.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    If I stand in line outside an Apple store for days before Leopard goes on sale, then after I buy it, wait a month for the price to go down. Will I get a coupon for $100 if I whine enough?
  • Reply 74 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

If I stand in line outside an Apple store for days before Leopard goes on sale, then after I buy it, wait a month for the price to go down. Will I get a coupon for $100 if I whine enough?

There are many of us waiting for the Leopard up to Date announcement so we can buy new Macs. You're going to have to wait just like everyone else, sadly.

I'm not being snippy here. Believe me, I feel your pain! I'm running a Quicksilver G4 until the day of the announcement, then I'm buying a new Mac and a sexy new wireless keyboard too. Can hardly wait!
  • Reply 75 of 84
    This could be the 4th quarter financial results. Look for robust growth and a stock split.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpwoodman View Post

What's the story for upgrades with Macs?

I ordered (my first) Mac on 2nd Sept and was told 7-10 days. It turned up on 1st October. Will I be contacted and offered a few version of Leopard? Will I have to contact them, or is it just tough luck?

What have they done in the past for these sort of things?

Many thanks

If you already have a Mac in your hot little hands, then you're going to have to pay full retail for 10.5 (Leopard) at such time as you choose to make the upgrade.

That being said, I expect that 10.4 (Tiger) will have free bug-fix support, and new applications will be released to be Tiger-compatible, for a few years to come still, as has been the case with 10.3 (Panther).
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Actually I change my prediction - I think new Mac Minis make sense... or replacement of the whole line with something else
  • Reply 78 of 84
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

I wouldn't call gestural recognition (based on multiple point inputs) a real multitouch experience.

The OS and its Applications aren't designed in anyway to accomodate for multitouch... say to manipulate the four corners of a rectalinear vector shape simultaneously with four finger inputs. This requires signficant overhauling.

A huge problem with adapting a (true) multitouch interface to our current machines is defining a language for gestures, as you can see with the remnants of the iGesture website, this is something they probably got tangled in solidifying. Even with gestures for Photoshop and Maya, its a predefinied library of gesture recognitions which then get translated into manipulating your document in the respective program based on existing commands. Having the user define all of their own gestures will not really be useful, nor will having to refer to a webpage of predefined gestures.

If its not Jeff Han's / Perceptive Pixel sorta stuff (I hardly qualify the iPhone)... its not really multitouch in my opinion.

I see. So if it's exactly not what you want, then it can't be MultiTouch? Good thing for the rest of us you're not in charge of Apple.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

I doubt Apple's concerned about a "holiday sales push for Apple TV".

My guess, though, is that this is a Leopard-only event. There are some integration features Jobs will tout for the iPhone users (another way to get another cycle of iPhone news). As for new hardware, that's intriguing. . . I would almost bet that you can see one announcment . . . a speed bump at least. A new form factor might be too much with this high profile of a deadline to meet.

Based on an article at macrumors last night

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/04/...-content-soon/

perhaps a AppleTV announcement isn't out of the question. AppleTV seems destined for several updates, including direct AppleTV access to the iTunes store, HD content, and movie rentals. Though whether any of this will be part of the late Oct event is of course anyone's guess...
  • Reply 80 of 84
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I see. So if it's exactly not what you want, then it can't be MultiTouch? Good thing for the rest of us you're not in charge of Apple.

Wow, way to miss the point.

I never stipulated wants or desires... just stating there is a difference to gesture regonitions that get translated into keyboard and mouse equivalents rather than software that is designed to be used in a multitouch environment that is more naturally engaging, which as Mac OS X users we lack completely.