Mac mini nears End-of-Life; Leopard GM target; more...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's current line of Mac mini desktops may be nearing a somewhat premature end-of-life, sources tell AppleInsider. Meanwhile, more evidence is pointing towards an expected Oct. 26 launch date for Leopard despite reports that the software has yet to be declared Gold Master.

Mac mini nearing EOL

While Apple has started to slow shipments of some of its more popular Mac models ahead of this month's anticipated release of Mac OS X Leopard, the company this week began telling some of its channel partners not to expect any more shipments of its current Mac mini configurations, period. And those channel partners who were not provided with this heads up instead discovered anomalies for forward looking orders on their own.

It's no secret that AppleInsider believes the mini's days are numbered. The last major enhancement to the diminutive Mac desktop line came well over a year ago, with recent "refreshes" consisting solely of component swaps with no added engineering effort whatsoever. Should the mini officially go end-of-life (EOL) this month, it's not clear what the future would hold for Apple's alternative desktop offering. The mini was last refreshed -- albeit quietly -- just over two months ago.

At the same time, however, slowing orders of Apple's other Mac systems are believed, for the most part, to be a preemptive measure. Rather than wind up with a channel stuffed with Tiger-equipped systems come month's end, AppleInsider is told the company is looking to image all new system orders with Leopard as soon as it possibly can.

Tracking Leopard's road to GM

Meanwhile, the guys over at MacRumors have put forth a pretty thorough effort in recent days of tracking Leopard's development progress internally at Apple.

They were first to report earlier this week that despite company efforts to begin training its AppleCare reps for the software's roll-out, the Mac OS development team led by Senior VP of Software Engineering Bertrand Serlet had yet to declare a build Gold Master.

On Wednesday MacRumors reported that Leopard was finally believed to be "approaching Gold Master status" and that their "most recent checks" indicated that "Apple had 11 high priority bugs left."

In a subsequent post on Friday, they reported that Apple "had expected to declare their upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Gold Master this week." Although the company "had not quite reached that goal" it released Friday "an internal 'GM candidate build' which could represent the final version of Mac OS X Leopard, if no other issues are found."

That build is reported to be Mac OS X Leopard build 9A581. (ArsTechnica is also confirming this).

MacRumors also pointed to an apparent slip-up at the Apple online store (since corrected) which listed the current version of Mac OS X (Tiger) as not shipping until October 26 -- the expected target launch date for Mac OS X Leopard first reported by AppleInsider last week.

The listing indicated that "Tiger" would ship on Oct. 26, presumably because Apple had halted sales of Tiger in anticipation of Leopard. Any orders for Tiger from the Apple online store during that time would have presumably seen upgrades to Leopard. Since word of the slip-up hit the Web, Apple has changed the store to reflect ongoing shipments of Tiger.

iPhone water-damage sensor

Also of interest -- but unrelated to the aforementioned topics -- is a report from Hardmac which notes that Apple has apparently included a water-damage sensor inside its iPhone and iPod touch at the base of their headphone jacks.

"Let's say you drop accidentally your iPhone in water (not sea water as salt will be easily spotted), you can always try to send it back to Apple Support for having it repair under warranty. To avoid such behavior, Apple has included a water sensor in the iPhone and in the iPod Touch:"

"At the bottom of the jack plug you can see a white disc that will irreversibly change color when entering in contact with water. So one would not need to open an iPhone or an iPod Touch to ensure it stopped working due to an unexpected bath."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    You know, I wouldn't have said this before the iPhone, but why do I get the feeling Apple is killing the mini so that they can introduce the new AppleTV? Now with more closed-system and less do-what-you-want-with-it. Apple should be adding home theater features to the mini, not killing it.
  • Reply 2 of 151
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Let's hope that reports of the Mac mini's death continue to be premature.

I've been waiting for Leopard to get a new Mac, not to decide to stop buying them. If Apple puts me in a position where my only viable option is a beastly $2500+ Mac Pro, I'll switch to Linux thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 151
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I'm glad I replaced my AppleTV with a Mac Mini when I did.
  • Reply 4 of 151
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I ordered an iMac on the 10 Oct and it's due to arrive 5 Nov! I was trying to get it on a nice stable 10.4.10 install because I need to buy a family-pack anyhow. Looks like I might be getting Leopard pre-installed.

The Mini was dead since AI last announced it. Even a monkey could have engineered the update it last got (remove Core Duo insert Core 2 Duo). I've said before that the AppleTV Pro is on it's way hopefully plus an xMac to fill the void.

With Sanyo and Pentax making water and dust proof cameras that aren't all that expensive or clunky would it be too much to ask over manufacturers to do the same?
  • Reply 5 of 151
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    is there gonna be announcement and count down or special event?

it is kinda of strange just two weeks nothing is announced
  • Reply 6 of 151
    If there's one thing that really frustrates me about Apple, this is it. Good god, is the iMac going to be the only consumer Mac?

I * DON'T * NEED * A * MONITOR * !

I already have one!

Don't kill the mini! Replace it with something better.
  • Reply 7 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

You know, I wouldn't have said this before the iPhone, but why do I get the feeling Apple is killing the mini so that they can introduce the new AppleTV? Now with more closed-system and less do-what-you-want-with-it. Apple should be adding home theater features to the mini, not killing it.

Apple isn't stupid. If the Mac Mini was still selling like hot-cakes, they wouldn't get rid of it or replace it with something inferior. Obviously they aren't selling too many.
  • Reply 8 of 151
    I hope the thing won't change color simply from getting damp if you jog or otherwise exercises with your iphone and sweat.
  • Reply 9 of 151
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

I would hope that they merge but that would probably be unlikely with all the ports. It would be one ugly mess in the back. Though in it's current form the AppleTV could serve as a computer with wireless keyboard and mouse. I don't know why Apple doesn't push that. Maybe they will.
  • Reply 10 of 151
    If Apple kills the Mini and doesn't replace it with something, they will really be shooting themselves in the foot.

For upgraders and switchers, Apple needs some sort of lower-end machine without a built-in monitor. Ideally I'd like to see a scaled-down Mac Pro mini-tower with a slot or two and space for one or two hard drives. Sell that at $800 and watch their market share rise. Even at $1200 I'd go for it.

But please, Apple, when I replace my G4 desktop within the next year, don't force me to choose between a hard-to-upgrade iMac and ditching a perfectly good monitor, or a $2000+ desktop that's much more than I need!
  • Reply 11 of 151
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Let's hope Apple is planning to replace the too-tiny Mac mini with something more practical--a mini tower with room for two full-sized HDs, four RAM slots, a built-in power supply, two display outputs, and perhaps a low-end graphics card.

They need something for all those who don't need the size, price or horsepower of a MacPro and don't want all the added clutter that comes with the now nearly impossible-to-repair iMac.

It's rather absurd that Apple isn't selling one of the most popular form factors in the PC world. They're loosing a lot of sales, particularly to small and home businesses.
  • Reply 12 of 151
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PapayaSF View Post

But please, Apple, when I replace my G4 desktop within the next year, don't force me to choose between a hard-to-upgrade iMac and ditching a perfectly good monitor, or a $2000+ desktop that's much more than I need!

Just go for a dual-display set-up. Since the iMacs when Intel they're no longer crippled to Mirror only.

That said we do need a mid-range Mac.
  • Reply 13 of 151
    They're only ending the life of the mac mini now because Leopard will work on "any" new computers like Windows does once it's released! :-P

Thats my guess, and if its not right for THIS release of Mac OS, then I'm positive someday in the not so long away future of Mac OS, it will be true. It's only a matter of time. They can't compete with free Linux OS's that are getting better all the time and work on all computers in the future by keeping their own OS only working on a select few apple hardwares. it's common sense people.

Someday, something has to change there. think about it.
  • Reply 14 of 151
    I truly do believe that the mini is EOL. At least the mini in this form. I think we'll finally see a redesigned xMac type machine that will bundle leopard (maybe released at the same date) and have onboard dedicated graphics and user upgradable RAM. Although it might be a stretch, I'm even willing to guess that it might have a 3.5" Hard Drive that would make it even more attractive as a media hub. Think redesigned cube. Benefits of a small form factor, but with the 3.5" drive and user upgradable features.
  • Reply 15 of 151
    Amazon just listed Leopard for pre-order:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-Vers.../dp/B000FK88JK

The family pack here:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Version-.../dp/B000BR0NPO

Initially these listings showed an availability date of Oct 31, but now the text changed to: "This product is expected to ship sometime in October. We will update the site with more specific information as soon as it is available, including system requirement details."
  • Reply 16 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    R.I.P. Mac mini... "Introducing the new Mac mini"
  • Reply 17 of 151
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    macosrumors.com has an article about a forthcoming "Mac Nano" to replace the Mac Mini.

http://www.macosrumors.com/
  • Reply 18 of 151
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    As attractive as Leopard is, it needs a new Mac to go with it. According to macrumors.com it is time for a new MacPro. What is the low down on this new Mac? When? Specs?

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Pro_Buyer%27s_Guide
  • Reply 19 of 151
    Well I would like to see something like Mac Mini inside a keyboard. It would spare a cable and make the Mac easier to transport. That would probably lead to sacrificing optical drive. But it could be pretty cool for some people to have a notebook without screen and battery that can be attached to 24" at home, 20" in dormitories/in school etc.
  • Reply 20 of 151
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I ordered an iMac on the 10 Oct and it's due to arrive 5 Nov! I was trying to get it on a nice stable 10.4.10 install because I need to buy a family-pack anyhow. Looks like I might be getting Leopard pre-installed.

The Mini was dead since AI last announced it. Even a monkey could have engineered the update it last got (remove Core Duo insert Core 2 Duo). I've said before that the AppleTV Pro is on it's way hopefully plus an xMac to fill the void.

With Sanyo and Pentax making water and dust proof cameras that aren't all that expensive or clunky would it be too much to ask over manufacturers to do the same?

It's a lot harder to make something like an iPhone water proof than something like a camera.