Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros

Comments

• Reply 281 of 398
    Quote:

New 45nm CPU First Look-Intel C2D E8500 4.7G On Air Cooler

:OOOOOO

That's incredible. Intel must be sandbagging on the Penryn. If AMD get anywhere near 3 gig? I suspect Intel will release 3.2-3.6 giggers. I get the feeling Intel could go all the way up to 4 gig without too much difficulty with Penryn. 45nm? Shouldn't we really be at 4 gig by now anyhow? The design of the cpu is much better and the process is much smaller and efficient...

...so how come speed grades which are essentially the same as the last generation?

I'm holding out until Macworld. San Fran. If Apple don't give me what I want by then...I guess I can always go with the iMac until Nehalem. The iMac is far from a disaster. We would have pulled our teeth for an iMac with dual 2.8 gigs back in the day... And the gpu seems to run CoX and Eve ok. I'd much prefer a Mid-tower. But it's getting ridiculous. Once the gravitational pull of the waiting game sucks you in... I just want a Mac to get some work done...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 282 of 398
    I don't delight in AMD's difficulties. Same with ATI. Competition is good. Keeps better products coming down the track. I hope AMD and ATI push their respective competition harder in 2008.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 283 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I don't delight in AMD's difficulties. Same with ATI. Competition is good. Keeps better products coming down the track. I hope AMD and ATI push their respective competition harder in 2008.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Now you're talking! Competition is the driving force behind improved products and lower prices. Where would Vista be today if Microsoft had had some real competition over the years? (<<--rhetorical question)
  • Reply 284 of 398
    Quote:

Now you're talking! Competition is the driving force behind improved products and lower prices. Where would Vista be today if Microsoft had had some real competition over the years? (<<--rhetorical question)

Heh. Well, it hasn't made Vista much better, heh, competing with 'X' an' all...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 285 of 398
    Quote:

Heh. Well, it hasn't made Vista much better, heh, competing with 'X' an' all...

Lemon Bon Bon.

With Apple's OS market share so low, I don't see the Mac OS as being any competition for Windows over the last decade or so. I think the only reason Gates put in a 150 million dollars into Apple was to keep at least one competing OS alive so that the Federal government would perhaps go easier on Microsoft.

When, but perhaps never, Apples' OS world wide market share reaches 25 percent, then perhaps that share might be considered some competition. The number of computers running OS X (world wide) is perhaps 5 percent? Anybody got the figures?
  • Reply 286 of 398
    Quote:

25 percent

Well, it's currently 8.1 %?

US?

ANd if they give us that blamed Mid_tower we can pass the 10% mark quicker...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 287 of 398
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

He probably means that ANYONE who says he "heard" something from Apple will get jumped on by a bunch of AI members who'll come down on him like a pack of wolves, call him a liar and shove his face in the mud. That happened to me when I was a newbie.

You can believe I'll never tell what I hear again. I've been around Apple reps and have heard stuff I'll never repeat. You guys have cured me of that.

Don't let the flack stop you from letting the rest of us in on what you hear. What's the fun of these forums without a little hearsay?

• Reply 288 of 398
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,445moderator
    Quote:

If AMD get anywhere near 3 gig? I suspect Intel will release 3.2-3.6 giggers. I get the feeling Intel could go all the way up to 4 gig without too much difficulty with Penryn. 45nm? Shouldn't we really be at 4 gig by now anyhow?

I hope AMD and ATI push their respective competition harder in 2008.

I think they'll have to start pushing soon:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...aster_than_amd

It's quad vs dual but still, AMD don't have the products out to compete and that's what matters.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Apple were the first to use 8 x 4GHz+ chips in their machines. From Toms hardware, it looks like 4GHz might be the limit though so they'll probably step it back to ensure the chips last long enough. It would be terrible if the chips failed within Apple's Mac Pro update cycle.

Quote:

I'm holding out until Macworld. San Fran. If Apple don't give me what I want by then...I guess I can always go with the iMac until Nehalem. The iMac is far from a disaster. We would have pulled our teeth for an iMac with dual 2.8 gigs back in the day... And the gpu seems to run CoX and Eve ok. I'd much prefer a Mid-tower. But it's getting ridiculous. Once the gravitational pull of the waiting game sucks you in... I just want a Mac to get some work done...

I sometimes consider if it would be worth just getting an iMac but I know people who have them and I simply don't like them. I'd get the old one anyway due to being able to get a matte screen and they are a decent price:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...LID?nplm=FA589

But I can't get round the fact that the screen is stuck to the machine. This actually puts me off laptops too. However, I can accept it in a laptop because the screen has to be portable with the machine.

I'd feel the same way if Apple suddenly welded a cinema display to the side of a Mac Pro. It would only offer disadvantages to me to do this.

For me it's a small tower or a cheaper Mac Pro. Penryn Mac Pros have got to bring prices down one way or another but I won't buy a Mac Pro without a warranty so it'll have to be a refurb.
  • Reply 289 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I sometimes consider if it would be worth just getting an iMac but I know people who have them and I simply don't like them. I'd get the old one anyway due to being able to get a matte screen and they are a decent price.

I can't help myself, but I actually like the new iMacs. I know all the slams, but every time I am in an Apple Store and I play with them, they really are very good computers.

If there is no new Mac Pro at MWSF, then I will order an iMac I guess. I can't wait any longer than that and for the graphics work I do, it will be OK. I have to keep external hard drives around for back-ups anyway, so a few more to augment the storage requirements won't kill me.

Still, I would very much prefer the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 290 of 398
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Well, it's currently 8.1 %?

US?

ANd if they give us that blamed Mid_tower we can pass the 10% mark quicker...

Lemon Bon Bon.

We have been measuring OS X against Windows. That's one computer against many Windows machines. Has anyone figured Mac against individual PC's. Mac vs. Dell; Mac vs. HP; Mac vs. Gateway; etc?

I'm sure that figure would be higher than 8.1% . Does anyone have any figures on 1 to 1 comparison?
  • Reply 291 of 398
    Dell's already beat Apple to the punch:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/27/d...-workstations/

Snipping from Engadget too:

When a regular consumer desktop just won't serve your demanding computing needs, it's time to go workstation, and Dell's got a pair of new quad-core-packin' models that are spec'ed to be some of the fastest on the planet. Both the Precision T7400 and T5400 are available with either one or two of Intel's newest 45-nanometer Xeon Processors (up to a 3.20GHz X5482 on the 7400), as many as two 1.5GB nVIDIA Quadro FX5600 graphics cards (capable of driving four 30-inch monitors), up to 4GB of RAM (with a whopping 128GB promised using a memory riser card chassis when 8GB DIMMs become available) and either three (5400) or five (7400) hard drives for up to 3TB of storage -- all topped off with a little Blu-ray action. Available immediately, the new rigs start at just $1,600 and $1,850, but for a configuration that meets your ridiculous specifications, expect to shell out well north of ten grand.

And here is the info page from Dell:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/t...=us&l=en&s=gen

Up to 8 cores for the new workstations as well.
  • Reply 292 of 398
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    /sigh

Guess we'll have to wait till Jan :-/
  • Reply 293 of 398
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

/sigh

Guess we'll have to wait till Jan :-/

has a date been set in jan?
  • Reply 294 of 398
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

We have been measuring OS X against Windows. That's one computer against many Windows machines. Has anyone figured Mac against individual PC's. Mac vs. Dell; Mac vs. HP; Mac vs. Gateway; etc?

I'm sure that figure would be higher than 8.1% . Does anyone have any figures on 1 to 1 comparison?

But the question was about OS X giving competition to Windows. If one is going to buy a Windows machine (excluding the current Mac Intels), is there a great deal of difference between the a Dell, HP, Gateway, etc PC? Isn't it all about the OS X experience versus the Windows experience? Would you buy a Mac Pro if it would only run Windows?
  • Reply 295 of 398
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

has a date been set in jan?

Maybe emig thinks that an update might be announced at Mac World San Francisco. Usually pro hardware updates are announced around pro expos, MWSF is a consumer one, but I think one PMG5 update was announced at an MWSF event.
  • Reply 296 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe emig thinks that an update might be announced at Mac World San Francisco. Usually pro hardware updates are announced around pro expos, MWSF is a consumer one, but I think one PMG5 update was announced at an MWSF event.

I think that has been disproved by numerous posts showing introductions of pro related hardware at MWSF.

Check out:

http://www.apple-history.com/
  • Reply 297 of 398
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I think that has been disproved by numerous posts showing introductions of pro related hardware at MWSF.

What? I did not say "always". I said usually. Usually is correct, and you made no worthwhile case otherwise. Maybe 20% of pro machines updates coincide with MWSF.

That link is not that useful for making your case. It's almost worthless unless I want to check every entry of every model, it's more work than necessary.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Check the "Mac Pro" entry. One out of nine entries was MWSF. MacBook Pro entry shows three out of ten update entries that coincided with a MWSF. The rest of the dates are mostly around NAB, WWDC and a couple around photo shows.
  • Reply 298 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What? I did not say "always". I said usually. Usually is correct, and you made no worthwhile case otherwise. Maybe 20% of pro machines updates coincide with MWSF.

That link is not that useful for making your case. It's almost worthless unless I want to check every entry of every model, it's more work than necessary.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Check the "Mac Pro" entry. One out of nine entries was MWSF. MacBook Pro entry shows three out of ten update entries that coincided with a MWSF. The rest of the dates are mostly around NAB, WWDC and a couple around photo shows.

If you're saying apple is going to wait until NAB or "photo shows" I highly disagree. The next event after MWSF is usually in March or April. Apple can't go that long without releasing. Apple has updated these machines on normal days in the passed, but I don't see any reason for apple to release these machines between now and MWSF... and I can't imagine they go much passed MWSF.
  • Reply 299 of 398
    I am beginning to think new Mac Pros will be announced after Macworld, but sooner than NAB or WWDC. I assume they will be in new enclosures at that time.

Steve will probably spend half of the keynote on Leopard (how many they've sold, update today, etc.), new Mac stores, revenue, another look at iLife, iTunes with a new update. Then if they introduce some new product, a consumer/prosumer device, that will eat up the rest of the time. Then a close with an up and coming musician. Unfortunately, we won't be seeing new Pro macs at MacWorld.
  • Reply 300 of 398
    After macworld would be insanity... The mac pro specs haven't been touched since August 2006... Why wouldn't they announce it at MacWorld if it's ready? It's free Press.